Meisterstuck 149 Skipping?

HyperplaneMKB

Expensive pens should, and do, work straight out of the box. Your comments are not useful without qualification, your tone even less so.

Sorry again but not everyone expensive pen works straight out of the box if I amnot mistaken Hyperplane's pen is "recently acquired" :rolleyes: ;) .

Edited by Andrea_R

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrea_R

• zaddick

• Pravda

• Barry Gabay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Zaddick: Based on what source of info? I don't hear this for MB 149 pens and have never experienced it myself.

Andrea_R: calm down mb fanboy, generaly speaking higher end pens do suffer from baby's bootom experencied with mineas well, fitted with a BB

Having owned and used Montblanc 149 fountain pens on a near-daily basis for more than 38 years, I have never experienced "baby's bottom" with a 149 nib (or 146, 144, & any of my other 1950s-80s Montblanc fountain pens). Having used grades from EF through what I assume is a very generous B or BB, I have never experienced a problem with inconsistent flow or any skipping at all. Quite a few knowledgeable folks have contributed to this thread, including the widely respected Zaddick, Pravda, and meiers. I would unconditionally and confidently rely upon the experience, insights, and suggestions from any one of them.

In combination, those three form a sterling Third Triumvirate which easily could have solved all Rome's handwriting concerns.

Zaddick: Based on what source of info? I don't hear this for MB 149 pens and have never experienced it myself.

Andrea_R: calm down mb fanboy, generaly speaking higher end pens do suffer from baby's bootom experencied with mineas well, fitted with a BB

Having owned and used Montblanc 149 fountain pens on a near-daily basis for more than 38 years, I have never experienced "baby's bottom" with a 149 nib (or 146, 144, & any of my other 1950s-80s Montblanc fountain pens). Having used grades from EF through what I assume is a very generous B or BB, I have never experienced a problem with inconsistent flow or any skipping at all. Quite a few knowledgeable folks have contributed to this thread, including the widely respected Zaddick, Pravda, and meiers. I would unconditionally and confidently rely upon the experience, insights, and suggestions from any one of them.

In combination, those three form a sterling Third Triumvirate which easily could have solved all Rome's handwriting concerns.

You're not used modern ones then?

I think you'll find that there are nowhere near as good as you claim, and all those people that you're referencing are not doing much other than defending the brand, whereas some realism is called for.

Or maybe you've been a very very very lucky bunny, because any quick web source reveals many many other people who have experienced skipping, poor flow, and babys bottom.

For the OP, a pen of that price should be expected to be perfect and should never have issues (sadly, many do). Is it possible you could send it back? You really should not have to go the nibmeister route for something that should not be your responsibility.

Edited by Bluey

1) You're not used modern ones then? Read closely, please. ". . . other 1950s-80s Montblanc fountain pens." Presently, among my 149s is a fine nib from about 2012, a broad ca. 2005, and several from 1990s. All write as I described above.

2) I think you'll find that there are nowhere near as good as you claim, and all those people that you're referencing are not doing much other than defending the brand, whereas some realism is called for. Among the MB cheerleaders I mentioned are some of the most recognized & experienced MB users I have encountered at this site. Their observations are, in fact, the realistic statements of very well experienced users of many brands of fountain pens. Were any one of them to discover a problem with a MB product, we would certainly read about it here. Personally, I have little interest in fountain pens, and prefer to rely upon a wooden pencil or in many cases, a nice fat crayon.

3) Or maybe you've been a very very very lucky bunny, because any quick web source reveals many many other people who have experienced skipping, poor flow, and babys bottom. I don't feel particularly lucky, but at my age, anyone who calls me a bunny is certainly a kind & indulgent friend or a seriously mistaken stranger. Thank you for the compliment though. You are correct, the web is filled with comments by people who denigrate products because they do not know how to use those products properly. As a case in point, look to posts about "flexible nibs" written by people who have ruined their nibs & possibly feeds through operator error.

4) For the OP, a pen of that price should be expected to be perfect and should never have issues (sadly, many do). Is it possible you could send it back? You really should not have to go the nibmeister route for something that should not be your responsibility. Ah, finally we agree, Bluey. You are absolutely correct that a pen the price of anew 149, or any product at any price for that matter, should perform properly out of the box. Sadly, we know that not all products do. Expensive contemporary fountain pens are no exception. It is indeed unfortunate that the OP may need to rely upon the expertise of a nibmeister, but that is the reality of having his new fountain pen perform the way he wants it to. It is also, as mentioned by others, the least expensive method.

5) May I offer a final observation which I hope is not provocative? Many consumer items are no longer produced under the sort of manufacturer integrity or quality control much of the industrial world once practiced. Does this mean we detest what is modern and embrace only older products? I hope not. Must we lower expectations when we make a purchase? In some cases, we must. However, repeated failure of a product will assure its elimination from the marketplace, regardless of how popular or exclusive a brand it is. Though I happen to prefer older 149s, they in no way diminish my enjoyment of using new ones. There's an expression about not doing something ". . . by bread alone," but I'm just too old to remember the rest of it.

Enjoy your fountain pens, everyone. Have a pleasant remainder of the weekend, depending on your hemisphere.

Thanks for dipping in! I don't claim to be as or more experienced as other people who took part in this thread, as you are ssaying be aware they are defending the brand becuase they felt offended as a result of my remark and I get it but they are not really disproving what I claim to be absolutely true with any "technical knowledge" (sorry for my poor english). That being said baby's bottom it 's a problem tha can affect high end pens: viscontis, pelikans and yes even our beloved MBs (may they be blessed :D ) and I don't think that any experience, insight or suggestion can fix an overpolished nib.

Edited by Andrea_R

Thank you so much Barry Gabay for your vote of confidence, it is much too flattering and very appreciated :)

Andrea_R:

My personal experience in owning strictly modern Montblancs is that I did not receive a single baby bottom. My feedback is based on numerous Meisterstucks, Solitaires, Patron of The Arts, Writers Editions, Skeletons and Aterlier Prive; inclusive of nib sizes ranging from F to quite a few OBBB.

While I am no expert on nib dynamics (despite having successfully ground nibs in the past) I was under the impression that baby bottoms afflict pre-owned pens more than they do to new.

That being said, I will say that many Montblancs may very well not write right out of the box as one would expect it to. But that has been a statement I am very wary of giving it out casually; while it is true that there is a possibility (small percentage) of craftsmanship error, I always try to put into account:

1. Everyone's writing technique, writing angle, pressure applied, etc is different.

2. People use different inks, whereas as Montblanc inks tend to run from normal to dry- some like Herbin and Noodler's are extremely wet.

3. Climate/humidity/pressure affect ink flow.

4. Paper used plays a great factor. Some people may get a Montblanc and try to write on ink resistant paper and wonder why their pens are dry.

5. Some nibs arrive slightly misaligned from being on display or just while handling. Could happen to both boutique pens and/or 3rd party sellers. Some pens that are even sealed from the factor may need the slightest tweaking. Not everyone has a loupe.

People's level of expertise is thus key, differentiating between those who receive a pen and think 'oh its a dud' as opposed to 'oh I think it needs more ink flow or the tines are misaligned'.

@Pravda thanks for the reply I totally agree with you expect for point 4: that's the point, fountain pens should perform well also on high quality (i.e. ink resistant paper Rhodia, Clairefontaine and so on, I beilieve you are referring to this kind of papers), on cheap or copy paper you may never experience skipping or baby's bottom since the paper itself absorb/suck up ink more easily

the OP was using his pen on an ordinary pad I wonder how his pen perform on quality paper, assuming that his ink is not the problem.

Edited by Andrea_R

@Pravda thanks for the reply I totally agree with you expect for point 4: that's the point, fountain pens should perform well also on high quality (i.e. ink resistant paper Rhodia, Clairefontaine and so on, I beilieve you are referring to this kind of papers), on cheap or copy paper you may never experience skipping or baby's bottom since the paper itself absorb/suck up ink more easily

the OP was using his pen on an ordinary pad I wonder how his pen perform on quality paper, assuming that his ink is not the problem.

Actually Andrea_R, the quality of the paper is not dependent on it's coating, i.e. whether it be resistant or not. Also, Rhodia, Clairefontaine and so on is not quality paper. It is good paper that fountain pen enthusiasts like because it is affordable, available and relatively performs well (doesn't feather etc) but.. Some people like Moleskine, or Montblanc's own paper. Others go all out and get those expensive stationary like the letters/papers of earlier times. If you were to write on them with a very wet nib, it'll make a mess.

So each pen manufacturer gauges (guesses) what is a 'benchmark' of the ink flow should be, relative to their own brand of ink and their own paper.

I happen to have a fair number of Montblanc high end pens, including the following:

• The Mozart solitaire,
  • The Silver Fibre Guilloche (the piston filler)
  • The Starwalker anniversary edition (diamond star),
  • The Granite Solitaire 1906 limited edition
  • The Pope Julius II 888,
  • The Andrew Carnegie 888,
  • The Airbus A380 (Solid White Gold)
  • Three 149's

I dont believe that I have enough Montblanc pens to qualify as a true collector, but from my limited experience with these pens, I have to agree with Andrea_R in that high end Montblancs do often tend to write rather badly out of the box and will have to have their nibs set properly by a nibmeister.

Don't think for one minute that if you pay $10000 or more for a Montblanc Limited Edition that it will write well straight out of the box! My personal experience has shown me otherwise.

You buy these pens as art and because you happen to like the way they look, or who or what they represent.

Form my experience, high end and montbalnc's simply offer you good looks, a nice solid feel and heft, but their nib performance is similar to that of any other Montblanc.

Hence forth, if you truly want to experience Montblanc then all you really need is a 149 with a nib that is set correctly for you.

Edited by Nicholas Green

Actually Andrea_R, the quality of the paper is not dependent on it's coating, i.e. whether it be resistant or not. Also, Rhodia, Clairefontaine and so on is not quality paper. It is good paper that fountain pen enthusiasts like because it is affordable, available and relatively performs well (doesn't feather etc) but.. Some people like Moleskine, or Montblanc's own paper. Others go all out and get those expensive stationary like the letters/papers of earlier times. If you were to write on them with a very wet nib, it'll make a mess.

So each pen manufacturer gauges (guesses) what is a 'benchmark' of the ink flow should be, relative to their own brand of ink and their own paper.

let's say they (Rhodia and so on) are fountain pen friendly, if your pen skips on these papers it defitenely has a problem and that's a fact, Moleskine is the less fountain pen friendly out there.

I dont believe that I have enough Montblanc pens to qualify as a true collector, but from my limited experience with these pens, I have to agree with Andrea_R in that high end Montblancs do often tend to write rather badly out of the box and will have to have their nibs set properly by a nibmeister.

Don't think for one minute that if you pay $10000 or more for a Montblanc Limited Edition that it will write well straight out of the box! My personal experience has shown me otherwise.

You buy these pens as art and because you happen to like the way they look, or who or what they represent.

The voice of reason! At least you've kept your perspective.

I happen to have a fair number of Montblanc high end pens, including the following:

• The Mozart solitaire,
  • The Silver Fibre Guilloche (the piston filler)
  • The Starwalker anniversary edition (diamond star),
  • The Granite Solitaire 1906 limited edition
  • The Pope Julius II 888,
  • The Andrew Carnegie 888,
  • The Airbus A380 (Solid White Gold)
  • Three 149's

Form my experience, high end and montbalnc's simply offer you good looks, a nice solid feel and heft, but their nib performance is similar to that of any other Montblanc.

Hence forth, if you truly want to experience Montblanc then all you really need is a 149 with a nib that is set correctly for you.

I couldnt agree more.

But at the same time, my Leonardo writes exceptionally well out of the box (and i consider it to be a MB fluke).

I always tell people: the standard 146 is a great pen, and if you want a nicely designed pen that writes very well go with a special edition which is nothing more than a dressed up 146 without the ink window.

I bought a second hand 149, fine nib, and it's baby bottomed like a Pampers commercial. Cant even write side strokes. Shame cuz the rest is in great shape. I'm going to attempt the fix myself because I have no sense.

1) You're not used modern ones then? Read closely, please. ". . . other 1950s-80s Montblanc fountain pens." Presently, among my 149s is a fine nib from about 2012, a broad ca. 2005, and several from 1990s. All write as I described above.

2) I think you'll find that there are nowhere near as good as you claim, and all those people that you're referencing are not doing much other than defending the brand, whereas some realism is called for. Among the MB cheerleaders I mentioned are some of the most recognized & experienced MB users I have encountered at this site. Their observations are, in fact, the realistic statements of very well experienced users of many brands of fountain pens. Were any one of them to discover a problem with a MB product, we would certainly read about it here. Personally, I have little interest in fountain pens, and prefer to rely upon a wooden pencil or in many cases, a nice fat crayon.

3) Or maybe you've been a very very very lucky bunny, because any quick web source reveals many many other people who have experienced skipping, poor flow, and babys bottom. I don't feel particularly lucky, but at my age, anyone who calls me a bunny is certainly a kind & indulgent friend or a seriously mistaken stranger. Thank you for the compliment though. You are correct, the web is filled with comments by people who denigrate products because they do not know how to use those products properly. As a case in point, look to posts about "flexible nibs" written by people who have ruined their nibs & possibly feeds through operator error.

4) For the OP, a pen of that price should be expected to be perfect and should never have issues (sadly, many do). Is it possible you could send it back? You really should not have to go the nibmeister route for something that should not be your responsibility. Ah, finally we agree, Bluey. You are absolutely correct that a pen the price of anew 149, or any product at any price for that matter, should perform properly out of the box. Sadly, we know that not all products do. Expensive contemporary fountain pens are no exception. It is indeed unfortunate that the OP may need to rely upon the expertise of a nibmeister, but that is the reality of having his new fountain pen perform the way he wants it to. It is also, as mentioned by others, the least expensive method.

5) May I offer a final observation which I hope is not provocative? Many consumer items are no longer produced under the sort of manufacturer integrity or quality control much of the industrial world once practiced. Does this mean we detest what is modern and embrace only older products? I hope not. Must we lower expectations when we make a purchase? In some cases, we must. However, repeated failure of a product will assure its elimination from the marketplace, regardless of how popular or exclusive a brand it is. Though I happen to prefer older 149s, they in no way diminish my enjoyment of using new ones. There's an expression about not doing something ". . . by bread alone," but I'm just too old to remember the rest of it.

Enjoy your fountain pens, everyone. Have a pleasant remainder of the weekend, depending on your hemisphere.

Nice treatise...

What are you? An old english teacher??

:P

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

Good morning, sir. Far too much free time and steaming espresso around the asylum these days. The nursing staff tries their best to keep me away from the computer, but at the change of shifts, I sometimes get at it. Sadly, as an empty nester without even a dog these days, I must resort to ranting against strangers while defending the worthy. I am no longer allowed near a newspaper or televised news, fake or otherwise.

This morning, I am doing my best to crack and ruin the section on a very nice BHR Gama Eyas fountain pen by trying to jam a 149 nib into it. Which end goes in first?

Meds at noon. Then my nap.

You attending Long-guyland pen show this wknd or saving up for She-cahhh-go?

Good morning, sir. Far too much free time and steaming espresso around the asylum these days. The nursing staff tries their best to keep me away from the computer, but at the change of shifts, I sometimes get at it. Sadly, as an empty nester without even a dog these days, I must resort to ranting against strangers while defending the worthy. I am no longer allowed near a newspaper or televised news, fake or otherwise.

This morning, I am doing my best to crack and ruin the section on a very nice BHR Gama Eyas fountain pen by trying to jam a 149 nib into it. Which end goes in first?

Meds at noon. Then my nap.

You attending Long-guyland pen show this wknd or saving up for She-cahhh-go?

LOL 😂