Do Vac Minis Crack?

Lugworm

There is so much written about Twsbis cracking. Especially older models, 580s a little bit, Vac 700, not so much with the eco. As far as I can see the Vac mini doesn't get mentioned. Do Vac minis crack or go wrong?

My debt he paid, my death he died, that I might live.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• akrohn2010

• Algester

• heknits

• Karmachanic

• 1 year later...

I got a Vac mini last year at the 2017 SF pen show. It has actually had very little use, but I inked it up again this morning and took it to work and tonight noticed three small cracks in the back threads where you post the cap. Argh!

I got a Vac mini last year at the 2017 SF pen show. It has actually had very little use, but I inked it up again this morning and took it to work and tonight noticed three small cracks in the back threads where you post the cap. Argh!

Same problem as me.

Alfredo

I contacted TWSBI from their website and they're sending me a relacement barrel, so I'm happy about that. Wondering if there is something I can do to prevent it from happening again, though.

Mine has not cracked as far as I can tell but it stubbornly and spontaneously leaks through the section despite multiple cleanings and inspections/applications of silicone grease. Keep thinking I will replace it but never get around to it...

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

I have two minis, both started cracking along the injection molding seams in 6-8 months of sparse use.

Mine is cracking at the same spot, back threads where you fasten the cap when you post. It's 8 or 9 months old. I guess I need to contact TWSBI.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm suspecting mine is indeed cracked now after the Nth time that it's leaked a gob of ink on my hand through the section.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

The following is a real question. Why would one purposely buy a pen that is known to crack? Please explain.

Add lightness and simplicate.

The following is a real question. Why would one purposely buy a pen that is known to crack? Please explain.

I'll bite. At the time I purchased the Vac Mini it was not known to crack like the 530/540 did. It was also a very unique design at an affordable price, a pocket-sized pen with a sealing plunger-fill system that would be perfect for travel. Finally, TWSBI seemed to be addressing their material issues: the new Eco did not seem to be cracking as much, and I couldn't find any owners (yet) highlighting a big issue with the Mini or Vac Mini. So I bought it ahead of a big trip to Costa Rica as my perfect "travel pen."

So it wasn't *known* to crack, but even if it was, the benefits outweighed the risk. Or in other words, it was worth taking a chance, even if it ended poorly (which it did). I don't regret it. I just might sell or replace the pen.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

After yet another leak of ink onto my fingers I took my loupe and examined every surface of the pen -- there are what seem to be small stress fractures on the cap threads and barrel threads. I contacted Philip Wang and he replied within 5 minutes with an offer to ship a new cap and barrel for $3 shipping.

To their credit, not only is their customer service fantastic, but it's quite possible that I caused the stress cracks myself by overtightening the cap (which I doubt, but still), and they still offered to send new components, no questions asked.

We'll see if it fixes the issue.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation: