Ink For Correcting Papers

ArjanD78

How about solving this the ancient way?

image.jpg

When I was a kid at school and had to learn writing with a fountain pen, every notebook contained a sheet of blotting paper. And on every office desk you'd find a blotter like in the picture above. Let's face it, inks are wet and need time for drying. That's not new or particular of any specific brand or ink. A blotter is all you need and then you can use whatever ink your heart desires. :)

"Dinosaur" Peter

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArjanD78

• ParkerDuofold

• OMASsimo

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I'm more a "you're doomed" kind of teacher

However, I like experimenting with inks, so maybe something else.

I saw Iroshizuku Yama Budo the other day. I think that's a nice color too, but maybe it's just the cool name. Quite expensive too... Wonder weather it's worth it...

I think it's a nice color for correcting too

Ha ha! Your poor students... The blotter idea is good, or you could use a rocket blower (originally intended to remove dust from photo camera sensors) but in this day and age carrying something in the shape of a cartoon bomb might not be entirely appropriate.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Hello I use the KWZ Iron Gall Green Gold ink with wonderful results for all of my grading. I love that the KWZ IG inks are well behaved, pretty water resistant, and offer nice shading even on cheap, absorbent paper. Green Gold is my go-to because I'm a fan of murky greens and don't like using red for grading, but KWZ has a couple Iron Gall Reds that you might be interested in.

I was amused when I saw you were using Poppy Red because when I first saw it, I thought it was an ideal "correcting red." I got some for some correcting I do (not a teacher, though). I used it for a bit until I got. Free sample from Vanness pens on an order I placed and the sample was KWZ Thief's Red. Bam! That was the perfect Red. More perfect than Poppy. Less watery than Skrip Red, a color which I like but it was a bit too dilute for me.

In short, if you want a red red. And I mean the kind of red that you think of when you think plain and unmistakenly Red, check out KWZ Thief's Red.

image.jpg

When I was a kid at school and had to learn writing with a fountain pen, every notebook contained a sheet of blotting paper. And on every office desk you'd find a blotter like in the picture above. Let's face it, inks are wet and need time for drying. That's not new or particular of any specific brand or ink. A blotter is all you need and then you can use whatever ink your heart desires. :)

"Dinosaur" Peter

What is the apparatus on the right? Another kind of blotter?

A blotter is not necessary, blotting paper is all that is needed.

Herbin has been a long time supplier.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Yes, the two mysterious, long forgotten black objects left and right are both blotters. Left is a typical "rocking" type made of black marble and brass. This species used to live in the stately homes of wealthy ladies and gentlemen. Right is the "rolling" type made of Bakelite and loaded with a long "endless" roll of blotting paper. Their habitat used to be the office desk.

You are right, a sheet of blotting paper is fully sufficient.

Peter

I shall entirely forgo discussing the psychology of various colors for grading. For me, two criteria are used in selecting a markup color.

First, there should be enough contrast for legibility. This suggests more saturation than found in, say, highlighters.

Second, it should be s bright, stand-out, eye catching color. To use a term that any graphic designer should find VERY tiresome, it should "pop." Thus, I consider pure reds, turquoises, really bright greens, oranges, magenta, and fuchsia. I'd likely not want to fool with blue, because I'd expect too many students to be writing with blue ink that might not contrast sufficiently.

From my own current ink stash, I'd use Sheaffer Turquoise, and likely a fine nib. Alternately, I might choose Noodler's Rattler Red Eel. (Fine nibs speed drying.)

Were I to choose from all the inks I know of, I'd probably choose Sheaffer Red. It's really pure, and well behaved.

image.jpg

"Dinosaur" Peter

Yep, I too was puzzled why some form of blotting was not used.

If you have access to Noodler's inks, I'd recommend Park Red. It is a very bright red, and dries pretty quickly without smudging. It's also pretty well behaved just in general (right now I have it in a Lamy Safari with a F nib, and even though I accidentally left the cap off for a bit the other morning (I dozed off with the pen posted :blush:) Park Red didn't completely clog up the nib.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I haven't found noodlers ink in the Netherlands yet. And as I said, I'm definitely a newbie. Currently I have only two red inks. Waterman audacious red and diamine poppy red.

Tonight I did a little experiment. I used poppy red with my Jinhao X750 and my Cross ATX.

There is certainly a difference:

post-135665-0-03042400-1490558185_thumb.jpg

I have been using Noodler's Nikita Red to grade papers for years now, ever since it was introduced. I find that using fine nibs does away with the need to wait for the ink to dry and compensates for really poor quality paper.

When I am editing my own manuscript, I use Sailor Irori. I haven't used Diamine Poppy Red before, but I think those two are quite similar in color - eye-searing red that really places the emphasis on the edits. It's rare that I need to correct manuscripts for other people, but for that I use Iroshizuku Tsutsuji - distinct and bright enough, but pleasant enough on the eye.

I personally think the ink behavior is more important than the color. I use Pilot Prera fine nib for editing so that I can write small and squeeze in as much writing as possible inside the margins and line spaces. Both Irori and Tsutsuji behave well for that type of writing.

This is a great topic and something I've been hoping would pop up. I in the accounting department so I don't have to worry about making students feel bad about red markups, just all the employees who send faulty invoices, deposits, and other documentation to my desk. I regularly mark up what's wrong in red (procedures and forms are clearly posted online) and send it back. I've been looking for a good red ink I can use.

I like the idea of Oxblood...

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I was susceptive for the argument of using green. It wouldn't be so agressive to my poor students. So I bought Diamine Meadow. I must say, that I think red gives more contrast to the writing of the students.

Any thoughts on green inks?

Arjan

PS I got some raised eyebrows when the students received exams graded in green :D :D :D

Okay, so I was susceptive for the argument of using green. It wouldn't be so agressive to my poor students. So I bought Diamine Meadow. I must say, that I think red gives more contrast to the writing of the students.

Any thoughts on green inks?

Arjan

PS I got some raised eyebrows when the students received exams graded in green :D :D :D

Hello Arjan,

I'm not a teacher; I manage seven warehouses and an industrial freight transfer depot and when I have to make an imperative statement or make a correction, I use Matador Red by Diamine, (for the ACTUAL paperwork that's still left). It flows beautifully and is well lubed. Its a great red, a little darker than fire engine red, but still a definite red. :)

And please don't mollycoddle your students... we CANNOT permit our youth to get so wimpy and soft that seeing red ink compels them to have a tantrum or start sucking on a gas pipe... what will happen when they grow up and have to face the REAL red ink of LIFE?! :o. None of them will be able to cope. :(

/rant. :D

But if you MUST use green ink, I suggest either Ultra Green by Diamine or Lierre Sauvage by J. Herbin... they're both nice, vibrant greens that are also dark enough to read easily. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

image.jpg

"Dinosaur" Peter

Absolutely agree with Peter. I always have a blotter at hand and use whatever red ink I have at hand. For true red, you can't beat Schaeffer Skrip Red. For an awesome dark red I can't say enough about Robert Oster Astorquiza Red...my favorite red ink. Edited by mmg122

I'm a student but more often than not we grade our own papers and stuff. I use Pilot Red - it's not a.. red red, but bright enough to stand out from Ancient Copper and Okuyama I often use. And it dries fast, which I need as I tend to write all over the page with red.

image.jpg

"Dinosaur" Peter

I'm curious, how is this blotter used? Is it pressed on the ink after writing or something? I've never heard of a blotter before...

I'm curious, how is this blotter used? Is it pressed on the ink after writing or something? I've never heard of a blotter before...

Yes, it is gently then firmly pressed on the ink to dry it. I suggest doing this at the last moment or after waiting a bit, or you will fade the line.

When I turn a page I let it curl to give it time to dry before it is pressed down later. After finishing writing I close pens and otherwise sort stuff before adding a blotting sheet between the leaves when closing the book. The extra few seconds give the colour time to set so the blotter is only to prevent late smearing. Rocker blotters, as shown in the photo, are very handy for notes or signatures.

You (or at least, I) can buy large sheets which can be cut into many pieces to suit different uses.

X

praxim's description pretty much nailed it. Wait as long as is practical, then use the blotter or blotting paper before turning the page.

To answer your question, the left device is a rocking blotter, so you use a rocking movement to bring the blotting paper in contact with the paper surface. The right device is a rolling blotter, so you roll it over the paper. But for school use I'd suggest just to use a sheet of blotting paper the size of your note book.

I think I'm more a "you're doomed" kind of teacher

And please don't mollycoddle your students... we CANNOT permit our youth to get so wimpy and soft that seeing red ink compels them to have a tantrum or start sucking on a gas pipe... what will happen when they grow up and have to face the REAL red ink of LIFE?! :o. None of them will be able to cope. :(

Hear, hear! Students will not feel better about themselves by seeing their mistakes corrected in some other color. They will feel better about themselves when, by dint of their own efforts, their papers come back to them with as few red marks on them as possible.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.