• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gerigo

• zaddick

• Algester

• sketchstack

Wow it's massive! :yikes:

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

Wow it's massive! :yikes:

It surely is! It dwarfs even the MB149!

I wonder if it can be comfortable to use...

Looks like this pen may be a Japan-only release. I hear rumors that it is already sold out there, and have not heard anything about its being available anywhere else.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Considering the 845 was never released in the US I doubt this will be. There're a few other threads on FPN about it and opinions seemed pretty mixed.

if you like MB's 1912 size then this is a pen for you... beyond that it's just "big"

I think you mean the MB Heritage 1914 (as thr 1912 is somewhat small) and that pen is a good bit bigger than the Pilot.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

As a fan of Pilot and oversized pens I fell in love immediately. I've always wondered why Pilot didn't have something that size-wise competed with the Sailor King of Pen.

However it's very hard to find, and my usual Japanese contact said he checked with his distributor and the first batch sold out immediately. Supposedly they only started with ten units?

And the second batch is still pushed out to September. So I'll have to impatiently wait ...

• 2 months later...

As a fan of Pilot and oversized pens I fell in love immediately. I've always wondered why Pilot didn't have something that size-wise competed with the Sailor King of Pen.

However it's very hard to find, and my usual Japanese contact said he checked with his distributor and the first batch sold out immediately. Supposedly they only started with ten units?

And the second batch is still pushed out to September. So I'll have to impatiently wait ...

Isn't the Yukari Royale a pen to compete on size with the KOP? I wouldn't say it's exact, but close

Also, I'm guessing they sold out as the size of this thing is gargantuan. They probably ran out of material and Japan is having a nationwide shortage for crying out loud.

The nib size appears to be the same as the MB 149 and the nib doesn't even actually look big on this new pen - that's scary.

I have the pen and wrote a quick impression else where. The pen is enormous, and is sized to a proportion that makes it difficult to fit regular pen cases. However, it being a Pilot is still extremely comfortable to use as I am sure they spent an inordinate amount of time tuning the ergonomics. The nib is VERY wet, and quite soft. MUCH softer than corresponding large nibs from MB, Bock or even the Emperor. Although it's larger than any other regular nib Pilot makes outside of the Emperor, it still fits in the hand well and is quite suitable for long writing sessions.

I have the pen and wrote a quick impression else where. The pen is enormous, and is sized to a proportion that makes it difficult to fit regular pen cases. However, it being a Pilot is still extremely comfortable to use as I am sure they spent an inordinate amount of time tuning the ergonomics. The nib is VERY wet, and quite soft. MUCH softer than corresponding large nibs from MB, Bock or even the Emperor. Although it's larger than any other regular nib Pilot makes outside of the Emperor, it still fits in the hand well and is quite suitable for long writing sessions.

Thank you for sharing.

One question: would you say the nibs are soft, flexible and wet enough that one should pursue a nib size narrower than usually preferred?

For example, do you think the medium might write more like a broad?

Thanks for any input!

Nope definitely not like a broad. I was writing with both the Yukari Royale and also the Custom Urushi which are both mediums. You can tell they were ground to the same width. However because the Custom nib is much softer, it puts out a lot more ink and therefore the line it creates is much wetter. Too wet in fact if you compare both the lines. It is definitely not a fine, but it does not approach the width of Pelikan Mediums. However if you were to use the pen alone, it's just a little bit of heaven. :cloud9: Super wet, very smooth writer.

Edited by gerigo