The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Delta Vintage - Caveats

delta vintage caveat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stylomaniac

stylomaniac

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2017 - 21:01

Tempted by its style and design - after all, it's Made in Italy - I bought a Delta Vintage pen on eBay.  Amber resin is very beautiful, and the two tone "fusion nib" (a steel nib with a partial gold-plated overlay) looked very smart.  However:

a) the space in the barrel is very short - so it won't take any converter

B) the diameter of the section is just small enough that the standard short international cartridges slide right out.   Looking very closely at the cross section of the cartridge, you will see that most of them taper to the nipple at the end, similar to a tapering candle.  And so they slide out.

c) the F nib supplied is more like a medium, at least to my taste.  I write small and fine, so I often have to find an EF nib.

Solutions:

corresponding with Yafa, the distributor in the US, they sent me some Monteverde small cartridges.  After all, paying the postage to get Delta cartridges was out of the question and, also, I like to use shades of blue that don't come in cartridges.  If you look closely, the Monteverde (and Delta) cartridges look like a telescope in profile - the part that is closest to the nipple has a slightly smaller diameter.  It makes all the difference.

i also found that the Monteverde mini converter will fit in the section and the barrel, although the piston cannot extend fully.  It will hold enough ink to make it useful, but if you're traveling, you may want to invest in the cartridges, just in case.

I found a Knox #5 EF nib, and replaced the fusion nib supplied with the pen.  Yafa had offered to get me a Delta nib replacement, but it would have been way more expensive.  This cost me - with postage - less than $12.

RESULT:  A beautiful pen that writes as fine as I like, using ink that pleases me!  The Knox nib performs very well. 

ADVICE:  It was probably more work than it was worth, but if you're addicted... need I say more?

Sponsored Content

#2 overwriter

overwriter

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2017 - 17:46

I does sound like a lot of work. But you like it now so that is all that counts.

#3 rafapa

rafapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2017 - 19:34

I believe there is a metal rod at the end of the barrel which can be removed easily. Maybe in doing so there will be space for the Monteverde piston.

#4 penwash

penwash

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2017 - 20:42

I used a pipette-style converter that I got from IIRC a Kaweco SPort.

Plus I put a vintage flex nib on it that seems to work well.

33863837111_3eb9540e64_z.jpg

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

#5 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:25

What colour Vintage us that, Penwash? Very pretty, but can't tell if it's an Amber, or Acid Green, or something I've not seen before!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: delta, vintage, caveat

Sponsored Content

|