Twsbi Nib Size Discrepancy?

fountaingoats

I've owned a TWSBI Eco with an F nib for a while, and recently decided to upgrade and purchase the Diamond 580. Since I had been pleased with the F nib on the Eco, I got the same nib size on my 580. So I was very disappointed when I inked up the pen this morning and found that it writes much thicker and bolder than the Eco. Also just looking at the nibs visually, I can see a clear difference in the size of the nib tips. If the ECO is F, the 580 writes more like an M or (even!) a B.

I realize the nibs are different shapes and are therefore somewhat different, and may even have come from different manufacturers. But I was wondering if anyone else has noticed such a discrepancy? Unfortunately, I'm unable to exchange the Diamond 580 with Jetpens, because I've already inked it. I'm pretty disappointed that I spent the money on the more expensive pen, making my decision based on the expectation of consistency throughout the brand. Purchasing the EF nib for the Diamond 580 is going to cost another $21.50 plus tax and shipping. -.-

See attached photo for comparison. Both pens in the photo are inked with the same ink (Emerald of Chivor).

post-35269-0-96680100-1490212772_thumb.jpg

Edited by fountaingoats

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountaingoats

• Tasmith

• EBUCKTHORN

• Inksomnia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought of the possibility that the glitter in this ink had clogged the nib of the Eco over time, making it write more drily. But whenever I ink up a new pen, I write down the pen and ink I'm using in my Hobonichi. The comparison of these pens when freshly inked shows the same discrepancy in line weight.

Edited by fountaingoats

My ECO 1.1mm writes about 30% thinner than my 580 1.1mm.

While F, M, and B could be different widths in different models, you'd think 1.1mm would be the same width regardless.

post-110840-0-85493600-1490215002.jpg

Rhodia No.16 lined pad both pens inked with Rohrer & Klingner Salix.

In actual use I like the difference in line width as I use the 580 to address envelopes and the Eco for normal writing.

Edited by Tasmith

Wow I agree that is surprising since 1.1mm is, well...supposed to be an actual measurement. :)

I noticed a few board threads where people were trying to learn what the TWSBI nib sizes were like, and people seemed to assume they're the same in all TWSBI's. This might throw all of those suggestions into question.

After a conversation on Instagram on the topic, I just measured the "1.1" nib in my ECOnusing the tools downloaded in the "nibs" part of the forum. Conclusion? My "1.1" stub actually writes like a 0.6 stub...

<font face= "Cursive"; font color="#8B00FF" ; font size= 3; font face="Arial"> In Instagram, I am also Inkantadora .</font><font face= "Cursive"; font color="#CC06FF" ; font size=3; font face="Arial"> I live and dream in saturated and sheening color.</font>

After a conversation on Instagram on the topic, I just measured the "1.1" nib in my ECOnusing the tools downloaded in the "nibs" part of the forum. Conclusion? My "1.1" stub actually writes like a 0.6 stub...

Just downloaded and printed the nib width chart. Didn't know it was there. Awesome, Thanks!

Two questions: Fountaingoats-have you addressed your concern to TWSBI?

Tasmith-can you please supply a link to that nib width chart? Thanks.

Two questions: Fountaingoats-have you addressed your concern to TWSBI?

I've tweeted @ them, but have not yet tried to contact them more formally. (I received no reply, though I don't necessarily expect one on Twitter.) I did contact JetPens, from whom I bought both pens. They responded asking to see a writing sample from both pens with the same ink, so I sent them the above photo. Perhaps they can resolve the issue for me, but if not, I will contact TWSBI and see what they say.

Edited by fountaingoats

It could just be a matter of QC. I have a bunch of Parker Vectors, and some of the Fs write like Ms (and vice versa -- my first one, which was an F, wrote with a wider line than the M-nibbed Urban...). I've heard people have similar issues sometimes with nibs on Lamy Safaris (I can't say for certain, since I only have the one).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: I also don't have any TWSBIs (waffling at the moment between an AL-580 with pink trim and a Mini with the light blue trim)

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Response from JetPens below. I'm pleased with their customer service response to this issue.

Thank you for the picture! It does seem like your 580 is writing more broadly than it should. I would be happy to send you a prepaid shipping label to return the 580 to us so that we can inspect it ourselves and give you a refund or replacement if necessary.

I would probably just ask for a refund instead of a replacement, since I'm not sure which nib size to choose on the Diamond 580 (I guess it comes down to whether this was a rare fluke or if more 580 Fs write like this). I do love the nib on my Eco! Happily, there's a Maidō store near me and I believe they carry the full TWSBI line, so I could purchase in-person and have an opportunity to dip-test the pen first.

I had this problem other way around. My eco EF writed twice as wide as my 580 EF. I replaced the nib, because I wasn't sure that is nib supposed to be that way or not. I bought custom needlepoint nib for replacement.

I had this problem other way around. My eco EF writed twice as wide as my 580 EF. I replaced the nib, because I wasn't sure that is nib supposed to be that way or not. I bought custom needlepoint nib for replacement.

Where did you buy the custom needlepoint?

Been contemplating getting a couple of custom nibs including an EEF from them for my 580. How do you like your EF?

My 580 EF nib is my favorite, I use it as my main fountain pen. It's really smooth for EF and line width is good for my small handwriting and reverse writing works well for math equations.

See this correspondence with TWSBI USA from yesterday, March 23rd.

Re: Twsbi 1.1 nibs

Philip Wang <twsbiinc@gmail.com>

Thu 2017-03-23 11:12 PM

Inbox

To:

Tina Martin (timarti@hotmail.com);

Its just how Jowo makes these nibs, the different sizes of the nibs used are going to have some differences in the line they produce. Even if they are both 1.1 the size of the tip is visibly different.

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Tina Martin <timarti@hotmail.com> wrote:

Thanks. It just seems odd to me that two nibs that are supposed to be 1.1 mm wide are not the same width, regardless of nib size.

Sent: March 23, 2017 10:10:49 PM

To: Tina Martin

Subject: Re: Twsbi 1.1 nibs

Hi Tina,

That is because the Mini uses a smaller nib so the width difference will always be there. The bigger 580 nib is going to put down a wider line.

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Tina Martin <timarti@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello!

I have had the pink aluminum TWSBI 580 with the 1.1 stub nib for a while and really like it. I just bought a TWSBI blue mini, again with the 1.1 stub nib; however, the nib width on that 1.1 nib is much narrower than on the TWSBI 580 1.1 nib - see attached photo. I much prefer the wider 580 1.1 nib. Both nibs are marked 1.1, as seen in the attached photo. First time I have experienced this! Any way to account for it and fix? Thanks!

Tasmith-Thanks for the link.

I have two or three replacement nibs for my Minis from FPnibs. The original TWSBI nibs were quite good and the FPnibs units are excellent. The FPnibs communication and service were fully satisfactory too. The only problem was the cost of shipping but i believe that if you're not in a rush there's an economy option.

Tasmith-Thanks for the link.

I have two or three replacement nibs for my Minis from FPnibs. The original TWSBI nibs were quite good and the FPnibs units are excellent. The FPnibs communication and service were fully satisfactory too. The only problem was the cost of shipping but i believe that if you're not in a rush there's an economy option.

I emailed fpnibs.com with a question concerning nib widths. I got a reply within two minutes!

I'll probably order a few nibs at one time to help spread out the cost of shipping. Still, less than $25 for 1-2 day UPS Express shipping from Spain is not too bad in my view especially regarding the very fair prices of their products and services.