Pelikan Edelstein Topaz - Does Anyone **not** Like It?

Mercian

The other day I was reading the compact review of Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz by member Jan2016...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/320111-pelikan-edelstein-smoky-quartz-compact-review/

...and I noticed that one person said that they do not like any of the inks sold by Pelikan.

That intrigued me, because (IIRC) every time I have seen Pelikan Edelstein Topaz mentioned on here, the person mentioning it was doing so because they like - or even strongly like- that ink.

As far as I can remember, I cannot remember ever seeing such unity of positive opinion about an ink.

So, just to satisfy my curiosity, are there any of you reading this who dislike Edelstein Topaz?

Or even only feel 'meh' about it?

My thanks to you in advance for your replies.

Cheers,

M.

I have used this ink for some time, and I think it is too expensive and a so-so ink. It's a good ink, but Pelikan 4001 inks are good too, and less costly. Ooooo, lets pretify the bottle and sell SOS for twice the price.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

• Manalto

• Sabin

+1 on this stained the ink window of my 101n

Good to know about the staining. Thanks.

I use the Topaz on occasion. Mainly for a friendly letter to brighten it up. It does seem to "cure" to more of a blue which I like. A little more toned down than Kon Peki which I think makes it a bit more versatile.

I have no use for Sapphire. It was a waste of money to buy this washed out unremarkable blue.

The Tanzanite is a nice very, very dark blue-black, more on the black side. I like this ink in some fine and extra fine nibs, but there are so many less expensive alternatives, it makes no sense to buy this.

Topaz and Sapphire do nothing for me, but it doesn't mean that they are bad inks. I appreciate that different people enjoy different colours, so I just don't bother to comment. Now, ask me to recommend a dark blue or blue black, and I will suggest either Diamine Midnight or the Edelstein Topaz.

It's good that there am so many different inks available because it lets us find the right combination of pen/ink/paper for us.

Not a fan. It's a nice solid blue color, but it gets eclipsed by other inks. Has none of the shading of an Iroshizuko or a Noodlers ink, or the sheening of a Robert Oster.

I like just about everything, so I was surprised, when I clicked on the link to see what 'Topaz' was, to be disappointed. My first reaction was that it's a muddy color that looks like two inks got mixed by mistake. Ditch water. As is my wont, my opinion has softened (who said, "Who cares?") to a fond but probably-will-never-get Elephant Gray.

I only just realised what you wrote there - i.e. that my first post may have misled you.

The link in my first post is to the review that I mentioned of Edelstein 'Smoky Quartz', not to a review of 'Topaz'.

If you have never seen what the 'Topaz' looks like, please have a look at e.g. this review:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/309286-ink-review-pelikan-edelstein-topaz/

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

I should be a more careful reader; thanks for the clarification.

No, I don't not like 'Topaz'. It's a cheerful color.

James

I like the color, but I do not use turquoise inks much, as it is a bit bright to look at a LOT of writing with it. I can handle about half a page of it. My sr. citizen eyes prefers darker colors, which are easier on my eyes.

Having said that, in grade school, I used Sheaffer Peacock Blue (a turquoise ink) a LOT.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com