Is This Montblanc The 144?

Evan31

Hello everyone!

So I came across a Montblanc fountain pen at an estate sale, and I'm trying to identify which model it is and about how much it would be worth. I don't know a whole lot about Montblanc's, but I believe this is a 144. Unfortunately there are no close ups of the cap band, and no real description of the condition or the nib size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

post-131868-0-73623200-1490193275_thumb.jpg

post-131868-0-21284300-1490193287_thumb.jpg

post-131868-0-02866800-1490193301_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tgoto

• pajaro

• Chrissy

• Evan31

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a 144, as you suspected. Montblanc nibs aren't marked with nib size, so it can be difficult to give an exact size. That one seems to display corrosion on the trim ring near the nib, not too uncommon with the 144 and its slip cap. They can be nice writers, but they're a bit thin for my taste.

"Oh deer."

I believe the 144 is the only one with the gold trim ring at the end of the section near the nib. Sweet little pens. In great but used condition they should be well less than $200 in my limited experience.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Looks like a 144, maybe an M or B. Hard to tell from the pictures.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I believe the 144 is the only one with the gold trim ring at the end of the section near the nib. Sweet little pens. In great but used condition they should be well less than $200 in my limited experience.

They've been climbing in price from my research - at least on Ebay. If you want one in great condition you can spend at least $200. That said - one in great condition won't have all the corrosion around the trim ring near the nib.

Awesome thank you all for the quick replies. At first I thought the ring near the nib just had some left over ink on it, but on closer inspection it does look like corrosion. I've been wanting to try a Montblanc so this could be a good option for that. It's at $70 right now, and figured I'd go up to about $100.

Yes 144 with that band next to the nib. It usually corrodes, and the cap becomes less positive because it's a push on cap. That's why Montblanc replaced it with the 145.

The last MB 144 I bought from ebay cost $130 plus shipping.

The ring can corrode. On earlier MB 144s the trim ring is adhered to the nib section, and it can come off. If it should come off, you can try to adhere it again with something like five minute epoxy, but I am not sure that will work. Super glue will not work. The trim ring contacts the plastic inner cap when you cap the pen. the wear and tear of capping and uncapping wears the inner cap eventually so its hold is loose, and also tends to pull the trim ring off of the section. That's why the trim ring comes off eventually. The simplest thing to do is send it back to Montblanc service. Call them or email them. It cost me $80 plus postage for them to replace the section and the inner cap.

The later section has a trim ring that screws on to the section. This one tends not to come off, but the inner cap can still wear. To replace the inner cap, unscrew the cap jewel with the white star, and the inner cap will come out of the cap. It's pretty simple. The inner cap can sometimes be bought for less than the cost of MB service. MB service is a flat rate for anything that must be replaced. Even the whole pen, and in that case they remove your nib and stick it in a new pen.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have what I believe is a Montblanc Solitary Dove, Gold and Black pen with the numbers 144 on the nib. I assume that this pen would be considered a 144. Am I right? C. S.

I think the nibs have 4810 on them. If yours has 144 on it, are you sure it's not 14K?

I think there is some kind of 144 called a Solitaire. Gold cap, black barrel. Something like that. Never had one.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Does it use a cartridge or convertor?

Yes, it uses a cartridge or convertor.

The Convertor that Montblanc currently makes does not fit 144 though.

Edited by tgoto

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

Yes 144 with that band next to the nib. It usually corrodes, and the cap becomes less positive because it's a push on cap. That's why Montblanc replaced it with the 145.

Too bad they didn't design so that slip cap mechanism lasts long.

I like the feel when I push the cap in.

The original converter for the 144 is push-in. Later they redesigned the section with a screw-in converter, the current converter. I managed to find three of the old converters that I am saving. If MB repairs your 144 you will probably get the revised section. I have bought a few of the revised sections on ebay. They are usually upwards of $50. The gold trim ring on the revised section is screw-in.

That's brutal.

That's brutal.

Exactly.

144 is a great writer but seems like Montblanc wants to forget that 144 even existed...

It might just be the angle of the pictures but the tines of the nib look WAY out of line. If they are, it will not write properly as is and will require service unless you know how to straighten them yourself. If they were bent in a fall there may be additional damage not shown.

post-131868-0-21284300-1490193287.jpg

Exactly.

144 is a great writer but seems like Montblanc wants to forget that 144 even existed...

But is it better than the 145 that replaced it? :huh:

But is it better than the 145 that replaced it? :huh:

I am not sure if 144 is a better pen than 145.

Some say 144 has more leak problem because of the snap cap.

I haven't had that problem, and I carry the pen in my pocket when I travel or when I am out in construction sites taking notes due to its compact size.

It is more convenient for me personally to have a pen with the snap cap for these purposes.

I do like threaded-cap pens too, just to clarify :)

Edited by tgoto