Kobe Aegean Sea Blue

julia239

A few weeks ago, I had a bad cold, and while taking cold medicine, I thought it would be a great idea to do some online shopping, which resulted in quite a few impulse ink purchases - including Kobe's Aegean Sea Blue. It is a limited edition ink that is part of the Painting Series (I honestly don't know what that is), so I assume it is only being produced in limited quantities or for a limited amount of time.

I like the color a lot - according to the marketing blurb, it is meant to be reminiscent of the color of the Aegean Sea & I can see that inspiration. However, to really appreciate this ink, it needs to be used with good paper and a broader nib. The character and depth of it are lost with finer nibs and lower quality paper - it becomes a nice but not special ink. (I placed the Tomoe River sample next to the Rhodia sample to illustrate this even though it meant moving the ink splash and water resistance images down.)

fpn_1490131324__kobe_57_001.jpgfpn_1490131349__kobe_57_002.jpg

Tomoe River

fpn_1490131403__kobe_57_005.jpg

fpn_1490131364__kobe_57_003.jpg

Ink Splash with Sheen - Cell Phone Photo

fpn_1490132282__kobe_57__1-2.jpg

Clairefontaine Triomphe

fpn_1490131379__kobe_57_004.jpg

Moleskine - The first 2 sentences are with the TWSBI EF nib, and the last 3 sentences are with the Pilot M nib.

fpn_1490131473__kobe_57_007.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• HalloweenHJB

• julia239

• Cyber6

I love this colour a lot - but be warned: I left it in my brand new Pelikan m605 for about 3 wees with frequent use, and when it came time to rinse out the barrel, the piston was nearly non-functional. The ink had stripped ALL the silicone grease from the inside of the barrel. The piston had worked perfectly when I put the ink in there.

Because it was a pelikan it was no problem to re-lube it, but if it had been a vintage vac filler (like one of my many Sheaffers), I would have really had a problem.

Now I just make sure to use it in a converter pen or a piston pen I can service myself.

thanks for the great review!

As pretty as this is... and is VERY pretty. I think I have several inks in the same hue.

Thanks for the lovely review.... :D

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Thank you for this well-done review. I too enjoy this color and have a number of similar inks.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I love this colour a lot - but be warned: I left it in my brand new Pelikan m605 for about 3 wees with frequent use, and when it came time to rinse out the barrel, the piston was nearly non-functional. The ink had stripped ALL the silicone grease from the inside of the barrel. The piston had worked perfectly when I put the ink in there.

Because it was a pelikan it was no problem to re-lube it, but if it had been a vintage vac filler (like one of my many Sheaffers), I would have really had a problem.

Now I just make sure to use it in a converter pen or a piston pen I can service myself.

Ahh, things are making sense. I didn't have much trouble with my Pilot, but I did with the TWSBI. There was was NO grease left in it - it was so stiff that the piston wouldn't move at all & I was worried about cracking it. But it's also easy enough to re-grease. I wasn't sure if this ink was the culprit or not; I didn't think it was having problems before this, but my cold-addled brain couldn't recall for sure. :huh:

Thanks for info.

Great review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I just did a swab of Aegean and it turns out that it's very, very close to my swab of Edelstein Topaz -- Aegean's hue might be a teeny bit greener, but otherwise it seems to have much the same saturation and brilliance.

Edited by xxxxx

I just did a swab of Aegean and it turns out that it's very, very close to my swab of Edelstein Topaz -- Aegean's hue might be a teeny bit greener, but otherwise it seems to have much the same the saturation and brilliance.

Thanks for the info. I had been wondering how it compared to the old Sailor Jentle Sky High (Souten is close but not *quite* the same as Sky High). If this is similar to Topaz (an ink I've been seriously thinking about getting, since I like it a tad better than the nearly identical Diamine Havasu Turquoise, you've saved me a lot of grief in trying to get a bottle of ASB.... :D

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 months later...

I recently got a bottle of Aegean Sea Blue, and because I am a dreadful impulse buyer, I had not checked the excellent review by Julia239 or the comments about problems. I have it in an Edison Premiere with a converter, and I'll have to see how the piston reacts, and report back.

The color is quite beautiful, but as many have said, it is somewhat similar to Edelstein Topaz but almost identical to Diamine Mediterranean.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the red sheen - there's a line in The Odyssey that describes the waters as "wine-dark sea" so I think the sheen fits. (There's also a theory that maybe Homer was colorblind based on this line :-D)

My pen is smaller than yours. Now get off my lawn.

Regarding the red sheen - there's a line in The Odyssey that describes the waters as "wine-dark sea" so I think the sheen fits. (There's also a theory that maybe Homer was colorblind based on this line :-D)

OTOH, there is Homer's color-accurate description of the "rosy-fingered dawn." It's a phrase that always comes to mind when I go outside early.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I recently got a bottle of Aegean Sea Blue, and because I am a dreadful impulse buyer, I had not checked the excellent review by Julia239 or the comments about problems. I have it in an Edison Premiere with a converter, and I'll have to see how the piston reacts, and report back.

The color is quite beautiful, but as many have said, it is somewhat similar to Edelstein Topaz but almost identical to Diamine Mediterranean.

How did it end up working out for you?

Hi Saskia:

As I said, it's in an Edison with a converter, and over the past two or more weeks, no problems. The converter seems perfectly fine, no difficulty in moving the piston.

I wonder if the ink reacts badly to certain types of silicone grease? I may try the ink in a Pelikan demonstrator. But if I need help with re-greasing, you'll help me, right? ;)

HJB