Montblanc Ink

Charles Skinner

Corn poppy red is no longer in production, but there are bottles still in inventory with some vendors. You have to search, but they are out there. I just bought a bottle from Montgomery Stationary on eBay. I'm sure there are other less well known vendors that still have some of this really nice red ink.

That's a bummer; I liked that ink.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erik Dalton

• pepsiplease69

• lgsoltek

• DrDebG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Corn poppy red is no longer in production, but there are bottles still in inventory with some vendors. You have to search, but they are out there. I just bought a bottle from Montgomery Stationary on eBay. I'm sure there are other less well known vendors that still have some of this really nice red ink.

Oh no!!!!! :crybaby:

It looks like they did bring back JFJ Navy Blue. Maybe Corn Poppy Red will come back as well. A lot of people like it. I had to search all over to find my bottle. Maybe Montblanc will read this thread and get smart..lol

Limited Edition inks are worth considering:

Leo Tolstoy, Meisterstuck Blue Hour, JFK Navy Blue, Montblanc for BMW

Blue Hour is one of my favorite, but I fall in love with the LE Shakespear Velvet red (But I don't use it much, because like many other red, it becomes dry too quick ..)

One pen roll, two pen rolls, three pen rolls ... So many pen rolls ! Do you want one ?

my tiny shop is open and you can have a closer look on my website to see my cotton (and sometimes silk) OOAK penrolls.

Corn Poppy Red is no longer in production

huh? My understanding was that this was not a limited edition and was just supposed to be a permanent addition to their line up. Is it just out temporarily or is it done completely? Does this info come right from MB itself?

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I may be able to "go shopping" with "She Who Must Be Obeyed" soon, ---- at a shopping center that has a Montblanc "boutique." ----- I would like to buy a bottle of ink while there, but don't know which one. I have all of the "basic colors," so it would have to be an ink that is really unusual.

Any thoughts?

C. S.

As a fellow Rumpole fan, I must put in a good word for my own She Who Must Be Obeyed. As to MB inks, I do like Irish Green. But stodgy old MB Royal Blue and MB Permanent Blue appeal to me much more.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I really like Lavender Purple, and lucked out at the end of December and was able to snag a bottle of Leo Tolstoy (which is a very nice blue -- just a hint of teal, but still absolutely blue).

Toffee Brown has lots of fans, but when I tried it, I was going "Meh...." I didn't hate it outright, but MB ink is expensive enough that I'm not going buy a full bottle of something that makes me say "Meh...."

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

JFK Navy Blue is back on the shelves in some places. Worth a look if you don't already have it.

I'd second this if it can still be found! I got several bottles myself because I want it to last a while for me

As a fellow Rumpole fan, I must put in a good word for my own She Who Must Be Obeyed. As to MB inks, I do like Irish Green. But stodgy old MB Royal Blue and MB Permanent Blue appeal to me much more.

We mustn't forget the Penge Bongalow mystery

Irish Green and Toffee Brown are must have MB inks if you have never tried Montblanc inks. The color, behaviour, flow, shading are awesome. If you want a good work horse kind of ink for work and business, Midnight Blue is a good choice too. Many who liked the Iron Gal version are dissappointed with this the new non IG formulation of Midnight Blue, but it's a good ink in it's own right. A true blue-black that is well behaved, shades, and retains some water resistance.

Edited by max dog

Irish Green and Toffee Brown are must have MB inks if you have never tried Montblanc inks. The color, behaviour, flow, shading are awesome. If you want a good work horse kind of ink for work and business, Midnight Blue is a good choice too. Many who liked the Iron Gal version are dissappointed with this the new non IG formulation of Midnight Blue, but it's a good ink in it's own right. A true blue-black that is well behaved, shades, and retains some water resistance.

Very good recommendation. Midnight blue is my first choice ink. I also like the old violet. Lavender purple darkened by black is another I like.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Is JFK really that good? It looks like a boring blue black...

The more I use JFK, the more I really like it. It shades nicely, and has a nice sheen to it. This was written on Clairfontaine paper. The scan doesn't show the nice red sheen very well. One of the things I really like about it is that it doesn't leave a residue like some blue blacks (I.e. GVFC Cobalt Blue).

post-122977-0-22343700-1490541900.jpg

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Do you find the Lavender Purple at all dry?

I haven't found it to be dry at all. I really like it especially in my stub nibs. But Lavender Purple is the regular ink in one of my Lamy Safari fine points.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I was testing papers, and managed to run some 11-13 green inks on to them. Depending on how good the paper was, the more inks were tried on it.

In the Green-Green inks...that shade.

R&K Verdura beat MB Irish Green by a nose, Pelikan 4001 by a neck. All three are good.

When you think MB is giving you 60ml in the shoe bottle, vs 50 for R&K, and 30 for Pelikan 4001, MB is not 'that much' more expensive.

I of course have German prices....E13-14 or so, for MB, 8 for R&K and somewhere near E4 + for Pelikan 4001.

4001 Green was the ink that had me buy some 13 green inks in a single year...and a couple later.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I haven't found it to be dry at all. I really like it especially in my stub nibs. But Lavender Purple is the regular ink in one of my Lamy Safari fine points.

Thank you. Now that I have the 6411 Onoto tuned properly (i.e. clean it and shove the loose nib back in) I am finding the Lavender to work beautifully with the pen and am very taken with the colour; definitely a good ink. That makes four of four MB inks making me happy. The others are Corn Poppy, Velvet Red and Irish Green. With velvet red a limited and corn poppy apparently out of production, it becomes a good thing I do not race through bottles.

X

huh? My understanding was that this was not a limited edition and was just supposed to be a permanent addition to their line up. Is it just out temporarily or is it done completely? Does this info come right from MB itself?

My local boutique says they have heard nothing about corn poppy red being discontinued I wonder if we can get a confirmation on that. Meanwhile I've picked up an extra bottle of this unbelievably wonderful red ink.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I've never really understood the fuss about JFK. It's ok, but not hugely exciting as an ink. I do wonder if the name and the fact that it can be difficult to find add more to its appeal than its colour.

I have a slightly off topic question.

I recently picked up a 'shoe' bottle of black montblanc ink from an antique store, purely a chance discovery.

It's one of those rounded 50ml types.

https://www.amazon.com/Fountain-Bottle-50ml-Black-MNB12569/dp/B0019C3AUU/

It doesn't say anything on the bottle except just black ink.

Is it mystery black? Ultra black?

I love using the ink because it's quite an opaque black which flows really well and sometimes gifts me with an occasional gorgeous red sheen.