The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Typewriter Are You Using Today?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 colrehogan

colrehogan

Pt Pd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 17:26

For the typewriter enthusiasts who also hang out here, what typewriter are you using today?

I'm using a Royal Futura 800 (portable) and for stand up typing, a Royal HH (it's on my kitchen countertop).

Elliott 1

Sponsored Content

#2 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 17:58

Once or twice a year I'll use my Smith Corona PWP 40, (Personal Word Processor)  I'll use it in the typewriter mode to fill out a form when I want it to look better than hand writing.

Back in the day it was an affordable alternative to buying a PC and printer and was a God send for term papers!

#3 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,377 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 22:44

I wish I was typing on my Royal Model 10. I need to ship it from my Dad's house, but used it late last year, and the desire to type for hours overtook me, I really miss it. It will be 90 years old next year, and was restored 14 years ago so it in excellent condition.

I also have two royal portables in forest green, and medium brown woodgrain. I need to get new rollers for them to function properly though!
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#4 colrehogan

colrehogan

Pt Pd

• Member - Gold

• 887 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2017 - 16:57

JJ Short and Associates can help you with that, Jakob.

Elliott 1

#5 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:49

The MJ Rooy ultra-flat

fpn_1495975568__c0b89893b133d58070f48002

A silent response: it shows you didn't lose anything

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg AND OHg34j.jpg

#6 inkobsessed

inkobsessed

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 19:08

My father's Remington from around 1938

Joop

#7 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:29

I haven't used my typewriters in a very long time. I'm pretty sure I've done no more than look at them in this century.

In 1966, I got an Olivetti Royal portable for a college paper. I still have it and I could probably get it going with a new ribbon. I'd also drive people nuts with the noise from it if I tried to use it now. And then there's some other, cheaper portable from earlier in the '60s that I have. My parents turned out to have gotten a portable typewriter in the '80s, which I now have. And then there was the big one, an IBM Correcting Selectric typewriter from 1979, or so. I used to entertain a fantasy about dragging my 1966, portable off to a cabin in the woods somewhere to write, and then the fantasy plan was to bring back what had been written, scan it all in and OCR it. That was a fantasy never acted on and one which will never be acted on. Still, it felt good to realize that if I ever did want to use a typewriter again I could get my scribbled stuff into digital form without having to hand code it all in. I think we have a second, large electric typewriter around here too. I do not remember how that one came to live here.

So I'm not using a typewriter today, or recently at all, but I do have some and I have thought of trying to use one. Re-typing was always a real drag for me, so the electronic word processor turned out to be such a boon for my little life.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

#8 penrivers

penrivers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,086 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:15

I have 12 but I want an White olympia sm9 like that of Paul Auster and a Olymoia sm3 like thet of Woody Allen, hope to get them soon.

#9 reduziert

reduziert

daily writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:25

Today: One of these. Have to choose wisely.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-16 um 08.24.14.png

#10 Retro-user

Retro-user

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:48

I am, as they say, between printers, so I'm sending everything I need printed to a local big-box store when I need a hard copy. Here's the rub: what do you do for envelopes? I don't like handwriting addresses on business correspondence. I cracked out my trusty Brother ML-100 electric typewriter. After adjusting the daisy wheel, I was in business with a clean, crisp address. If I'd had paper, I would have typed the whole letter. 😀

#11 Zookie

Zookie

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 803 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 20:30

I just found an Olivetti Lettera 25 at one of the local clothing banks. Cost me 2 USD and came with the soft case and manual.

Looks good and seems to work ok.

Are these any good?

BTW, did I mention that I'm tired of messing with my computer?

#12 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:39

A french brand JAPY, model P68

fpn_1508920719__japy_p68.jpg

A silent response: it shows you didn't lose anything

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg AND OHg34j.jpg

#13 DanielWS

DanielWS

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 21:29

A 1955 Olympia SM-3 portable typewriter.

As soon as I get a replacement part I'll start alternating between the 1955 and a 1953 Olympia SM-3.

After Thanksgiving a guy is giving me his Smith-Corona but I don't know what model it is.  He bought it new.  It's probably from 1959 but I'm guessing.

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." The Dalai Lama

#14 DanielWS

DanielWS

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 21:55

I just found an Olivetti Lettera 25 at one of the local clothing banks. Cost me 2 USD and came with the soft case and manual.

Looks good and seems to work ok.

Are these any good?

BTW, did I mention that I'm tired of messing with my computer?

If it works it's excellent! :)

I use a computer while working from home.  Been working with computers forever.  I only use that computer for work.

Today my wife sent me an email with a form to print so for the first time in over a week I fired up my computer.  I can relate.  I'm tired of messing with computers but it's not the computer hardware or software that bugs me.  It's the (bleep) online that I access.  There are a few good forum websites I access but the other stuff is so much garbage.  Facebook, Twitter, etc.  I've deleted my accounts and not going back.

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." The Dalai Lama

#15 ParramattaPaul

ParramattaPaul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 23:51

I had a Smith-Corona portable that I carried around the globe during my various travels over the course of three decades.  It was used to type everything from business letters and proposals, CVs, technical papers, personal correspondence, to published magazine articles.  My wife claimed it was redundant to our needs, and pried it from my grasp during a spring clean some years ago.  She donated it to the local St. Vincent de Paul thrift shop.  I was left to deal with grief for the loss of 'an old friend' and the temptation to go and buy it back.

#16 Stef

Stef

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 13:01

A what ?

:-)

#17 Qoan

Qoan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 16:26

I still use sometimes, if rarely, my mother's portable Olivetti Dora; it was a best seller in the early 70s and I have filled many a page with it until I basically abandoned it around 2005 or so.

Sponsored Content

|