The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Why Are Gold Nibs More Fun?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Mrpink

Mrpink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:21

I have been expirementing with the big 3 from Japan. I have tried their gold vs silver and found gold is just more fun. I think the noise gold makes is better, and it just feels better. Maybe that gold's ability to conduct electricity is a high one may be another factor. Energy is at play here so gold might be giving off some better feeling.
I sold the prera, metro and the kakuno but still have customs and the other goldies from Pilot. I still have the sailor and platinum silver pens, they feel great and produce nice handwriting, but I always leave them for last and feel an urge to grab gold. Does everybody else find gold nibs to be more fun all the time?
I did not consider the 'flex' at all, just for normal handwriting. Springiness may be a big contributor but I could not really feel that.

Edited by Mrpink, 21 March 2017 - 03:23.

Sponsored Content

#2 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:37

They're not, imo. I have round points, stubs, & italics in both gold & steel. Soft nibs & stiff in both. I don't find I gravitate towards one or the other at all because of color or material. I do probably end up reaching for steel more often atm simply because only 4 out of 11 inked pens are gold.

There have been other times when I've had the majority of inked pens gold (ie. when I had 6 or 7 51s inked), but it's more to do with the pen design &, more importantly the grind, with the nib material being incidental.

Edited by NinthSphere, 21 March 2017 - 03:44.

#3 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:52

No, gold is more fun!  Just is that way, don't know why...

Erick

Currently in Rotation:

Pelikan Brilliant Red "F" nib running Noodler's Burgundy

Kaweco Sport Ice running Montblanc Rot

Aurora Duo-Cart "M" nib running Noodler's Legal Lapis

Edison Menlo "F" nib running Waterman Mysterious Blue

#4 Gudi

Gudi

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:57

They're not

This.

#5 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Premium - Diamond

• 2,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:09

I've never thought of it in terms of fold being more fun. However, I do prefer Gold over steel any day.

#6 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:37

Good steel is as good as good gold....accent on good.

Gold is more expensive. Lots of folks think gold is better....some because it's gold.....others that they must have done better work on the nib, because it's gold.

Osmia/O-F-C or Geha, the gold nibs are equal to the steel ones. Something I didn't know :doh: when I was chasing Osmia pens....or I could have gotten more of them.

I knew the Geha steel nibs were as good as the gold....I just didn't run into enough on the 790's. I'll have to look for steel on the earlier '50's ones.

When it comes to nails....a steel nail is much better than a gold nail outside of bling, because of all the inks you can buy when you are wise and get steel.

I do have to admit the gold Esterbrook nibs are much better than the steel. :rolleyes:  :happyberet: :P 

Wisdom of the Founders, and their check and balances system is more a wonder than I thought. 

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#7 FlippyThePen

FlippyThePen

Inexpensive Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:48

I just like gold because my mind tricks me to think that the pen is writing smoother.  In reality, I don't know, but I think I know what you mean. They just seem smoother, and softer than stainless steel.  Glad to see another gold nib loyalist.  :rolleyes:

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of the truth

-Albert Einstein

Cheers before jeers!

-FlippyThePen

#8 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:20

I write with gold nibs and steel nibs. I find my gold nibs give me a lower pitched feedback sound than my steel nibs, and they feel softer and smoother. So I prefer to write with gold nibs.  :)

flying-letter-exc.png

#9 fabri00

fabri00

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:29

I really don't think electrical conductivity has anything to do.....
Beside from that I have great gold nibs as well as great steel nib.

You mentioned silver nibs, but nibs do not exist in silver: do you mean steel nibs of sodium plated?

#10 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 18:17

Expectation has a lot to do with it. If you believe going in that gold nibs are somehow better than other nibs, you will actually perceive a difference, whether it is physically present or not. It's nearly impossible for humans to be objective about such things. This, as blind taste testing has pretty well confirmed, is the main reason there is such a thing as a high-end wine industry, for example.

ron

#11 Mrpink

Mrpink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 19:15

You mentioned silver nibs, but nibs do not exist in silver: do you mean steel nibs of sodium plated?

Thanks for the correction, steel is the word I should have used.

I do believe that gold has a different feel so if I try it blindfolded it may not work because I know my pens. Maybe if I tried it with someone elses pens I may not know the difference.

Edited by Mrpink, 21 March 2017 - 19:15.

#12 escribo

escribo

Mr. Natural

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 19:56

What Flippy and rwilsonedn said, plus they impart to me a feeling of decadence, maybe. Like eating rib eyes while the kids are having peanut butter ------ with no bread. LOL that's a horrible analogy :yikes: and my own child is long grown and has a child of his own. Sorry about that, Chief.

If a steel nibbed pen with an F nib like I got yesterday and a few others in my hoard collection that I dug out the other day were thrown into a blind test mix I'd bet the results would be a coin toss. But knowing I'm using a gold nib, I can feel the vibe, like I'm eating the juciest most tender Kobe (is that right?) rib eye steak followed by the most gently and lovingly aged Port or the finest Trappist ale. Oh, and let us not forget the Cohiba. As long as we're being decadent anyway. :rolleyes:

esc

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

#13 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Member - Gold

• 1,318 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 20:56

They're not more fun. There's far more difference between gold nibs than there is between gold and steel nibs.

Much in the fountain pen world is in the eyes of the beholder. Add a little beauty, a few jewels, and a few hundred ££££ to the pen and it's amazing how much more fun it is. In every single one of us there is at the very least a tinge of snobbery dictating our tastes, but it's the wiser of us that recognise that for what is it.

In a blind test, I would doubt many people would know the difference.

Expectation has a lot to do with it. If you believe going in that gold nibs are somehow better than other nibs, you will actually perceive a difference, whether it is physically present or not. It's nearly impossible for humans to be objective about such things. This, as blind taste testing has pretty well confirmed, is the main reason there is such a thing as a high-end wine industry, for example.

+1. Nicely put , Ron.

Edited by Bluey, 21 March 2017 - 21:06.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Kon Peki....the colours of the rainbow.

#14 Trom

Trom

nothing to say

• Member - Gold

• 881 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 21:04

It's easier to fool yourself than to fool others (sometimes).

When the flow of ink is good, the difference between gold and steel is not there imo.

Only flex nibs made of gold are a better nicer to write with imo.

#15 Mrpink

Mrpink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 23:00

The shine or colour of the gold nibs make it more enjoyable too for me. One cannot deny that the chemical properties of gold is different and that will cause a different behaviour, even if on the microscopic scale, even if it is minute to say the least. But I would like someone to do a blindfold test, might even suggest it to the popular video makers.

#16 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,881 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 23:20

Blondes do have more fun?

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#17 Polanova

Polanova

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 23:33

Maybe  ;)

I prefer gold nibs (exceptions some great vintage steel ones)

A admit being a pen snob.

I probably wouldn`t pass a blind test.

There.

#18 Mrpink

Mrpink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 23:36

:)  Makes me think, I have a black Lamy nib and its not that attractive - to me that is.

#19 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:06

I'll observe that a gold nib has a tip made of a different material, so one doesn't EXACTLY write with a gold nib.
I'm sure there's a complex geometry at work here, but I like the gold, even though steel performs just as well, assuming the maker cares to make it work as well.

#20 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 1,609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:44

Sitting blind tests is no fun.
I consider getting from point A to point B an undue constraint on what might otherwise be an enjoyable drive.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|