Chicago Pen Show 2017

Laura N

It's hard to believe but the 2017 Chicago Pen Show is less than six weeks away. It's at the Chicago Marriott Northwest, in Hoffman Estates, just like last year, running Thursday, May 4 through Sunday, May 7. Visit our website at chicagopenshow.com for more detailed schedule and price information.

But here is the most important thing: this is going to be the best year ever; don't miss it. Make your reservations, find a dogsitter, send the kids to their grandparents or even some stranger you meet on the street -- do whatever you have to do. Just don't miss the 2017 Chicago Pen Show.

That's because, in tribute to the Chicago Cubs, your Chicago Pen Show planners have been working all year to put together what we modestly think of as the World Series of pen shows. Leigh Reyes (the Javier Baez of fountain pen art) is going to be there, and a bunch of great vendors, old and new. There will be a particularly amazing ink testing station, with a Robert Oster and KWZ extravaganza that I like to analogize to having Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo on your baseball team for years to come. There are going to be so many really great opportunities for ink fans this year -- I promise you, if you like ink, you don't want to miss this year. And pens, we'll have pens, too. Old pens, new pens, red pens, blue pens. Flex pens, italic pens, American pens, Italian pens. We'll have pen fixers and pen sellers, we'll have nibmeisters, but I promise, no shysters. (Only good lawyers.)

How about a pre-show meetup? For all the folks in the Chicago area, I'll send an email if I have your email, because we'll try another pre-show meetup with some pen and ink previews. If I don't have your email, just email me or PM. Or just go to my blog and contact me there. If you're new in the Chicago area, we'd be pleased to add you to our group. All are welcome.

Feel free to PM me or Roger Wooten with any questions.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Laura N

• inkstainedruth

• gweimer1

• box_camera

I looked into that show, but it's a bit far for me to drive by myself from Pittsburgh (I need to stop about every 1-1/2-2 hours because of my back, which adds to the reported estimate on Google Maps); and it's a bit too expensive to fly or take the train. :-( And there doesn't seem to be a connection from Pittsburgh to Chicago on Megabus. DC or NYC, sure; Chicago, not so much.... :(

And of course if I didn't drive I'd still have to figure out how to get to the hotel and back from whatever terminal. All of which adds to the cost of the trip, even before walking in the door....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Pittsburgh! I love Pittsburgh, and I know that drive. I guess I always try to break up any long drive by finding interesting-looking places on the road to stop and hang out, and eat a meal, visit a tourist attraction or take photos. Then it's more of a road trip, and the journey is as fun as the destination.

Driving may make the most sense from Pittsburgh, but if you get to Chicago instead by bus, train or plane, you could easily get to the hotel by taking an airport van from the airport, or Uber or Lyft or taxi from a train or bus station. Chicago is a beautiful city, and I encourage everyone coming to the pen show to spend a few days downtown, too.

We get pen show visitors from the west coast and even Canada, and would love it if you can join us. It's going to be a really good show this year, with some special things. I wonder if we should add a prize for the visitor (not exhibitor) who drove the farthest. That would be fun. And maybe one for whoever came the farthest by any other means of transportation. Leigh Reyes may win the latter, though, this year. :)

Well the problem with anything other than driving myself costs money -- and that's money that isn't getting spent on shopping at the show. :( I have a budget, and while it's a lot larger than what I would normally get to spend at a show, it's not infinite (and I've already blown over a third of it on a couple of Pelikan M405 pens -- a Striated Blue and the Anthracite Stresemann -- and while I paid less than I might have from a US retailer they still were not exactly cheap... :blush:).

If I had someone going with me, to split the driving (the way I did years ago when going to a symposium at a hotel inside the Loop) -- and the cost of the hotel room, it would be another thing.

But I'm also going to a non-pen thing in June down in Knoxville, TN (like the thing I went to the other time I was in Chicago), and I have to budget for that as well; I'm keeping my fingers that my friend's husband's bid for next year's Symposium will be accepted and will be in the Pittsburgh area -- where I don't even have to pay for the hotel if I don't want to: I can just drive home every night since the hotel he's planning for is ~20 minutes from my house.... :P But we won't know till Knoxville if his bid got accepted; I can't always go, due to distance & finances (like the year it was in Uppsala, in Sweden [!], or the year it was in New Orleans; two years ago it was in Toronto, and I drove up early in order to swing into the city to go to Wonder Pens B), before going to the hotel, which was out at the airport).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Do we know yet what the 'doorbuster' deals will be this year? Last year it was Lamy items.

I have just over 4 weeks to sell a pen and stretch my budget a bit! (Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Broad)

Well the problem with anything other than driving myself costs money -- and that's money that isn't getting spent on shopping at the show. :( I have a budget, and while it's a lot larger than what I would normally get to spend at a show, it's not infinite (and I've already blown over a third of it on a couple of Pelikan M405 pens -- a Striated Blue and the Anthracite Stresemann -- and while I paid less than I might have from a US retailer they still were not exactly cheap... :blush:).

If I had someone going with me, to split the driving (the way I did years ago when going to a symposium at a hotel inside the Loop) -- and the cost of the hotel room, it would be another thing.

But I'm also going to a non-pen thing in June down in Knoxville, TN (like the thing I went to the other time I was in Chicago), and I have to budget for that as well; I'm keeping my fingers that my friend's husband's bid for next year's Symposium will be accepted and will be in the Pittsburgh area -- where I don't even have to pay for the hotel if I don't want to: I can just drive home every night since the hotel he's planning for is ~20 minutes from my house.... :P But we won't know till Knoxville if his bid got accepted; I can't always go, due to distance & finances (like the year it was in Uppsala, in Sweden [!], or the year it was in New Orleans; two years ago it was in Toronto, and I drove up early in order to swing into the city to go to Wonder Pens B), before going to the hotel, which was out at the airport).

Well, we sure hope to see you there. Maybe another Pittsburgh pen fan will see this and be inspired to join up with you. :)

Do we know yet what the 'doorbuster' deals will be this year? Last year it was Lamy items.

I have just over 4 weeks to sell a pen and stretch my budget a bit! (Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Broad)

I always find a lot of vendors who offer good prices, when you shop around and go from table to table, but I don't know of anything organized like that. :)

For weekend registrants, there's the auction Friday night, and you can get some great deals on vintage pens there. There are some beauties this year.

If you can't sell your pen, bring it -- someone might take it in trade or partial trade, too. No photos, no post office, no worries. :)

Well, we sure hope to see you there. Maybe another Pittsburgh pen fan will see this and be inspired to join up with you. :)

Well I can ask around at the next SCN meeting. But that's not till fairly late in April, IIRC -- which might be too late. I'm more likely to get takers for Raleigh, since there's more time to get reservations & hotel reservations in (and at Raleigh last year I stayed at a place about 10 miles away for half the cost).

I'm actually more concerned about the non-pen thing I'm going to in Knoxville, two weekends after the Triangle Pen Show. I just looked at the website for it and went "Holy Moly" when I saw the hotel rates (like some pen show hotel rates -- which is why I stayed elsewhere for OPS and for Triangle Pen Show). So I *definitely* need someone to share a room with for that (especially after TPS two weekends before...); my husband suggested I contact a friend of mine and see if she wants to go; but the last time we carpooled to a similar (regional) event she stayed in a different room on the grounds (her claim) that she snores. Well my answer to her would be (1) "Get a test for sleep apnea and get a C-Pap" and (2) "you can't snore any worse than my husband does.... (and he now HAS a C-pap...)."

I wonder if we should add a prize for the visitor (not exhibitor) who drove the farthest. That would be fun. And maybe one for whoever came the farthest by any other means of transportation. Leigh Reyes may win the latter, though, this year. :)

I will bear that in mind. Does it have to be 'drove'? :lol:

What -- You're going to WALK?

I haven't been on FPN in quite a while (funny how life just does that to us. . . ) but I DO plan to attend the show and, if we do it, the pre-show gathering at Old Orchard. Keep me posted, please.

Don't know what I'll bring to Old Orchard this year. I haven't acquired too many additions to my accumulation this year.

Well, if we did it, we'd have another "for whoever came the farthest by any other means of transportation." So you're still in it! Book a flight!

We have our two meetups planned, and they are drawing nearer!

Our annual preshow meetup will be Sunday, April 23, at noon, at Potbellys in Old Orchard shopping center, Skokie. We're planning a live, in-person sneak peek at some of the auction pens, as well as a sneak peek at the inks that are going to be sold exclusively at the pen show. Also the usual showing and sharing of inks and pens. Bring anything you want to show or trade, including ink samples. We've got that going on.

Our annual show meetup will be Saturday, May 6, at 11 am, at the show. We'll meet at the Ink Testing Station in the atrium. Everyone's invited to join us, meet other Chicago pen fans (and those from out of town), and look at some highlights from the show together. Also, I am hoping to have some giveaways for all, or some, depending on how many we get. Bozo Buckets have not been ruled out, either.

Again, everyone's welcome. If you PM me, I'll add you to the email list, too.

Just to let everyone know, we are on Instagram and Twitter under @chicagopenshow and those are the best places to follow us for the latest news and updates about the show. In fact, you can enter on Instagram right now to win a free daily pass.

The fiancee and I are flying out to Australia that Saturday afternoon, but I am dragging her bright and early to the show beforehand - can't wait!

The fiancee and I are flying out to Australia that Saturday afternoon, but I am dragging her bright and early to the show beforehand - can't wait!

That's the spirit we love!

I will be coming, all the way from south Louisiana! I’ve always wanted to take The City of New Orleans all the way from NOLA to Chicago, so this is two dream trips combined into one for me. The only pen shows I’ve been to are Little Rock and Dallas, and this sounds like it will be bigger than both of them put together. Can’t wait to see that ink testing station!

Keepers of private notebooks are a different breed altogether, lonely and resistant rearrangers of things, anxious malcontents, children afflicted apparently at birth with some presentiment of loss. Joan Didion

I will be coming, all the way from south Louisiana! I’ve always wanted to take The City of New Orleans all the way from NOLA to Chicago, so this is two dream trips combined into one for me. The only pen shows I’ve been to are Little Rock and Dallas, and this sounds like it will be bigger than both of them put together. Can’t wait to see that ink testing station!

Oh my goodness, that is so great; I've always wanted to take that train the other way! We can't wait to see you at the show; please come over and introduce yourself to me (I'll be at the Ink Testing Station a lot of the time). Papier Plume will be there from New Orleans, too. :)

-Laura

Chicago is actually home to me, even after living in Ohio for nearly 20 years. My first home was in Hoffman Estates, and spent most of my youth in Palatine. I'll be there for this one again. The added bonus is that Todd Rundgren is playing in Waukegan on Wednesday, so my girlfriend and I will be coming in a day early for that. I'm always anxious with the pen shows I attend.

Chicago is actually home to me, even after living in Ohio for nearly 20 years. My first home was in Hoffman Estates, and spent most of my youth in Palatine. I'll be there for this one again. The added bonus is that Todd Rundgren is playing in Waukegan on Wednesday, so my girlfriend and I will be coming in a day early for that. I'm always anxious with the pen shows I attend.

Welcome back! When I lived elsewhere, I always felt so happy coming back home to Chicago. Which is probably why I ended up back here. :)

Possibly I am the FPN member who lives closest to this show ... I live in Hoffman Estates! :)

Depending on my daughter therapies (I have to take her on the weekends) ... I will be there either Sat afternoon or Sunday.

I do have some MOHI (Indian Eyedropper) pens to sell - the models are Tanishq and Large Bottom Window. if you are interested please PM me.