The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Source For Pre-Ground Nibs?

8 replies to this topic

#1 bellsbells

bellsbells

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 00:04

Hi all! My search for the perfect needlepoint fountain pen has brought in a nice sampling of specimens, including the TWSBI Eco EF, the Sailor HighAce Neo F, the Pilot Decimo EF, and the Platinum Preppy. But the only nib I've used so far that is fine enough for my taste is the Pilot Penmanship. This nib is HEAVEN, but I hate the ugly pen body. I bought a Metro and a Prera hoping to house it in a higher quality body, but neither of those does it for me. (I'm picky.)

It seems my only other option is to get a nib ground down. I've scoured this forum for links to sites offering this service, but I'm too impatient to wait the 2+ weeks it would take. Does anyone know if there is a source for in stock pre-ground nibs? I'm open to whatever brands might be available.

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 OmegaMountain

OmegaMountain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 00:29

Franklin-Christoph used to individually sell Masuyama nibs and there was an architect grind available. Seems they only sell the Masuyama nibs with a pen now. Still a good value though.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

#3 escribo

escribo

Mr. Natural

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 00:47

You've seen all the Metro's colors and none of them move you? Hmm :(

When I learned of the EF Penmanships I bought a pair of them and plugged one of their nibs into my Metro, and I am in heaven! Bought 4 more Penmanships (IIRC they are packaged in pairs) as a hedge against them being discontinued at some point.

Those nibs are "just about" fine enough for me. :D

ETA: I've decided if I want a finer nib I'll have to grind it myself.

esc

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

#4 bellsbells

bellsbells

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:33

You've seen all the Metro's colors and none of them move you? Hmm :(

It's not the colors, it's the shape, I just can't get with barrels that taper at the ends.  :wacko:

#5 Angel91

Angel91

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 19:55

Fpnibs.com offers what you're looking for ;)

#6 JemC

JemC

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 13:30

It's not the colors, it's the shape, I just can't get with barrels that taper at the ends.  :wacko:

You could throw the Penmanship nib in a Kakuno then. And toss a Con-70 converter in there!

#7 stevejk11

stevejk11

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2017 - 20:04

Franklin-Christoph used to individually sell Masuyama nibs and there was an architect grind available. Seems they only sell the Masuyama nibs with a pen now. Still a good value though.

I will preface this by saying that I love my Masuyama Needlepoint from F-C in my Model 02 Intrinsic.  

Extra Fine is also a passion of mine.  

All that being said, the Masuyama Needlepoint is ground quite fine but it is intended as a smooth writer and have the ability to write cursive and still have a nice experience.  

As a result, the point is probably not as fine as bellsbells wants.  

Angel91 has it right.  I have a few nibs from them and they just do it correctly.  The most fine I have is a TWSBI Eco with an XXXF point.  It lays down a razor thin line (the equivalent of a Pilot Hi-Tec-C gel in its smallest 0.25mm) without being so sharp that it shreds paper.  I love the thing.

#8 bellsbells

bellsbells

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:03

Fpnibs.com offers what you're looking for ;)

Oooh thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for and I got really excited before I realized all the prices were in Euros... Shipping costs more than the nib itself, and might take as long as it would for a US nibmiester to turn around a custom job. I may just have to steel myself to be patient and do the latter. Any recs for this? Points for reasonable prices and/or quick turnaround times. Thanks again to everyone!

#9 bellsbells

bellsbells

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:06

I will preface this by saying that I love my Masuyama Needlepoint from F-C in my Model 02 Intrinsic.  

Extra Fine is also a passion of mine.  

All that being said, the Masuyama Needlepoint is ground quite fine but it is intended as a smooth writer and have the ability to write cursive and still have a nice experience.  

As a result, the point is probably not as fine as bellsbells wants.  

Angel91 has it right.  I have a few nibs from them and they just do it correctly.  The most fine I have is a TWSBI Eco with an XXXF point.  It lays down a razor thin line (the equivalent of a Pilot Hi-Tec-C gel in its smallest 0.25mm) without being so sharp that it shreds paper.  I love the thing.

Thanks for the advice, I would LOVE an XXXF for my TWSBI Eco. If I end up having my own nibs ground here in the US, should I specify 0.1mm as fpnibs.com does for the XXXF? For reference, I have an EF Preppy (0.2mm) that I find too wide (yeah, I'm like that) but the Penmanship is ideal.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|