The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Parker 75 Cap Snaps On Loudly But...

parker 75 cap clutch

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RayCornett

RayCornett

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 22:47

There is about 1mm of wiggle room when I tug on the cap. What's odd is I don't see anything resembling a fingered or pronged clutch at all. This is a Parker 75 Insignia. Were those different parhaps?

Attached Images

• 2017-03-20 11.17.33-1.jpg
  • 2017-03-20 11.41.07-1.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 00:37

Parker used two different cap clutches in the 75.  One has a short inner cap and metal clutch fingers.  The later pens had a long inner cap with an integrated  clutch.  The later tends to wear and get loose because the "clutch" is really just 3 or 4 bumps in the outer end of the inner cap.  I replace both the long inner cap with a short one and clutch fingers, which takes care of the problem.

I've also seen cases where the barrel thread bushing shifts forward, which puts the end of the section a little farther from the barrel than the cap is long.  Resetting the bushing takes care of that.  But in most cases a worn inner cap clutch is the problem.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 RayCornett

RayCornett

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:36

Parker used two different cap clutches in the 75.  One has a short inner cap and metal clutch fingers.  The later pens had a long inner cap with an integrated  clutch.  The later tends to wear and get loose because the "clutch" is really just 3 or 4 bumps in the outer end of the inner cap.  I replace both the long inner cap with a short one and clutch fingers, which takes care of the problem.

I've also seen cases where the barrel thread bushing shifts forward, which puts the end of the section a little farther from the barrel than the cap is long.  Resetting the bushing takes care of that.  But in most cases a worn inner cap clutch is the problem.

I wont know until I get it apart but as loudly as it clicks when I put the cap on it seems the clutch isn't worn. I am betting on the bushing shift.

Edited by RayCornett, 21 March 2017 - 02:37.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, 75, cap, clutch

Sponsored Content

|