The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Stainless Steel Semi Flex Nibs

3 replies to this topic

#1 EmJ

EmJ

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 21:13

Hello Everyone,

So, kind of a weird question - I am looking for a stainless steel semi-flex nib (yes, semi-flex, I already have a couple lovely vintage flex pens), something that I can write with as a regular nib, but will still have some pleasant spring and a bit of line variation if I want it. Does anyone have a preference on one that would have nice flow and writes smoothly? Or just one that you think is very nice.

Thanks

Sponsored Content

#2 cattar

cattar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 21:29

Platinum Cool or Balance. Cool is the transparent version, Balance is translucent.

Springy. GouletPens has a 'cool' writing video.

Edited by cattar, 20 March 2017 - 21:50.

#3 AD43

AD43

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 23:19

I would say OMAS, if you didn't ask for steel, but if you get the chance definitely get one. You could try the Stipula flex nib on the splash.

AD43 the year some Romans went bonks and bashed the Celts in England.

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,867 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 23:53

Osmia/Osmia-Faber-Castell.....the gold is as good as the steel.....both are grand.

And you can pick if you want semi-flex....with the nib with a Diamond on it, or maxi-semi-flex, the nib with Supra on it.

I have both semi&maxi in both stainless steel and gold...both are grand. I have some 8.

They are flat stubs....minimum tipping.

Of the companies that offered nibs with some flex...semi-maxi, Soennecken, MB, Osmia, Original Reform (pre mid '50s ) Geha, and Kaweco were all stubbish.

Lamy and Tropen...nails not. Artus a 'true' regular flex like the Pelikan 120 or the Geha school pens all have an American Bump Under.

I find the obliques of that era due to the stubbishness to go with semi/maxi great.  :puddle: 

I have some 16 obliques of that era. In a mix of semi(26)&maxi(13-or so).

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|