Ink For Tarot Notebook

BradGad

Noihvo... "only the really saturated inks smudged if my finger was dry." Hrm, gee, could be, yeah. Yeah, I suppose there's a correlation. The ones I had the most trouble with are inks I would call very saturated: Iroshizuku kon-peki, asa-gao, and yama-budo and Diamine Red Dragon. Borderline, slightly problematic ones were J. Herbin Perle Noire and Diamine Sherwood Green. Good but not stellar results with Skrip Red and Iroshizuku take-sumi in a very dry-writing pen. Great results with the basic Pilots and Noodler's Hunter Green (which is *super* saturated).

I'll be starting my third Seven Seas Writer this weekend.

Maybe I should reformulate what I'm trying to do as I'm looking for a *palette* of relatively dry or unsaturated inks suitable for writing about tarot.

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BradGad

• amberleadavis

• PaganArcher

• JayHomeBody

Maybe I should reformulate what I'm trying to do as I'm looking for a *palette* of relatively dry or unsaturated inks suitable for writing about tarot.

As you are writing about tarot, I recommend that you seek out Ink Reviews by Sandy1 - in her extensive reviews she often includes her opinion about whether or not an ink has 'Majik' ;-)

I would recommend Rohrer & Klingner 'Salix' - it is an iron-gall blue-black, so doesn't feather or bleed through, dries quickly, offers tight lines, a high degree of water-resistance, and beautiful shading. Salix is also easy to clean out of a pen :-)

For your purposes, its formulation is traditional (like tarot) - and it even passes the 'Majik' test of Sandy1 :-)

Her review of it is here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/160998-rohrer-klingner-salix/

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

No experience with tarot as such, but from your description of what you want to do I was thinking an ink that has a "vintage look" or feel to it.

One of the reasons I love Pelikan 4001 Blue Black so much - it has that vintage look/feel to it. The R & K IG inks- both Salix an Scabiosa give me that vibe too. Robert Oster Astorquiza Rot is a red that has that kind of look or feel as well. (IMO anyway)

I was thinking some sort of brown as well, but don't have enough experience with browns to know one that gives that vintage look to it.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Interesting thread. I did sometimes do spreads on an interactive website (which I can no longer find :angry:) which also did astrology, biorhythms, and iChing), and I just copied and pasted the results into a computer file. But that was back before I got into using fountain pens.

I did also, many years ago, happen onto a deck which I saw in a book of deck designs, written by the (then) head of US Games Systems. I thought the deck was a limited edition, so I was quite surprised and excited to see it for sale in a store in Westport CT. I don't remember the name of the deck, offhand (I'd have to dig it out of a drawer), but the designs were line drawings with a Middle Eastern/Mughal India slant. I had started (but never finished) painting the deck with Dr. PH Marten's Watercolor dyes, back when I still lived with my parents (which tells you how many years ago that was), to make the deck truly unique and "mine".

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

One of the reasons I love Pelikan 4001 Blue Black so much - it has that vintage look/feel to it. The R & K IG inks- both Salix an Scabiosa give me that vibe too. Robert Oster Astorquiza Rot is a red that has that kind of look or feel as well. (IMO anyway)

Points taken... but I am a complete devotee of Pilot Blue Black. I would feel like I'm cheating on her! (Or, maybe I should become a Blue Black scholar and aficianado! :) )

This is turning out to be an interesting project to think about. Now I just need for it not to become one of those Zeno's arrow paradox kinda things where I keep getting closer and closer to deciding what I want but never actually get there.

I have some Proctor's Ledge arriving tomorrow. I'm going to experiment with that. A starting point at least.

BTW, there's a fairly lively discussion of Proctor's Ledge going on over in Ink Reviews. ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/317027-noodlers-proctors-ledge-2016-le/ )

Got three new inks to try for this today.

Proctors Ledge looks like a non-starter. So far I can't coax it into a line where I see the brown or grey... it just looks black. A nice black, but a black. (Got some feelers out.)

Diamine Sargasso Sea seems to be a truly lovely ink, a richer blue than I was expecting, and I do see the sheen on my TR paper. But it looks a bit too much like a "regular" blue for this project.

Sailor Jentle Yama-dori, though... now that's promising! Doesn't look "regular" at all: a subtle teal with some good shading and sheen. To me it looks unusual but also restful on the eye and non-distracting. Even though there's no thematic connection with tarot, I'm thinking it could be very good for this project. Now I need to find a good companion for it... I'm thinking I'll do the main body text in Yama-dori and page numbers, symbols, etc., in some complementary color.

Have a look at the KWZ iron gall blues. #4 and Turquoise are the two that speak to me so far. But then it's rare to get a "meh" color in this brand.

I love all three inks. I use DSS to mix in with other inks that would be boring, but with DSS are not exciting.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I love all three inks. I use DSS to mix in with other inks that would be boring, but with DSS are not exciting.

I've actually found myself more drawn to Proctors Ledge as time goes by. Of the pens I put it in, I like it best -- quite a lot really -- in a Preppy 02 eyedropper. Just dandy for sketching... I'm a neophyte sketcher and mostly do landscape stuff. PL actually *is* brown with that pen, but the line is so fine you almost have to put it under a loupe to see it. This translates into some character in the sketch, tho. And a little wash with a water pen does interesting things, esp. on tree trunks and such.

Given how daintily that pen sips ink, one eyedropper fill is probably enough for about five sketchbooks full. Or more.

Nice sharp controlled dark line when writing in my Seven Seas notebooks too.

Right now I'm studying the KWZ IGs as Ghost Plane suggested, trying to pick out a couple to try first.

Edited by BradGad

Brad, I'm with you, this is the best ink ever for tree trunks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I read through the title and the first paragraph mistaking "tarot" as "taro" the entire time..... Imagine how confused I was. Lol

Brad, I'm with you, this is the best ink ever for tree trunks.

Some of the lines written on the FPN are best taken out of context...

I am imagining Amber skipping through the woods, writing little message on trees, using Proctor's Ledge.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I am imagining Amber skipping through the woods, writing little message on trees, using Proctor's Ledge.

Ahem! She said "Brad, I'm with you." So, it's the *two* of us skipping and scripting, making inky mischief on innocent trees with Proctors Ledge and Blue Ghost and who knows what else.

Edited by BradGad

Tee Hee Hee

enchanted-luminous-lawn.jpg?w=605&h=403

http://cdn.klimg.com/vemale.com/g/saat_mati_lampu_mural_mural_ini_justru_menunjukkan_keindahannya/p/lukisan_glow_in_the_dark-20150115-editor-001.jpg

Hi,

Ah, the last time I imagined seeing our dear amberleadavis was at a high desert encampment playing a tambourine. There was not enough wood for fire walking...

As my interest in celestial navigation is ongoing, I am trying to imagine looking over the shoulder of Eleanor Creesy aboard the Flying Cloud.

> We await the ingenious Mr Tardif to issue an ink that reflects her achievements and girlhood home of Massachusetts.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

As my interest in celestial navigation is ongoing, I can imagine looking over the shoulder of Eleanor Creesy aboard the Flying Cloud.

We await the ingenious Mr Tardif to issue an ink that reflects her achievements and girlhood home of Massachusetts.

Bye,

S1

You realise that, since I have no idea of the context above, I'm going to have do some homework when I get home...

Also, totally unrelated, there is now a new TV series of Anne of Green Gables.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I love FPN! You all seriously rock! :notworthy1:

Yesterday I learned about uranium glass, and today it's about Eleanor Creesy. Apparently the sailing speed record from New York to San Francisco she and her husband set lasted until the late 20th Century!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You realise that, since I have no idea of the context above, I'm going to have do some homework when I get home...

Also, totally unrelated, there is now a new TV series of Anne of Green Gables.

Hi

The Flying Cloud sailed Australian waters, so it would be interesting to learn what, if anything, was left in her wake. I reckon she wouldn't have been at full sail close to port (?) so just another merchant ship. (local knowledge lore & legends; photos hung in wharf-side waterholes?)

I have reservations about finding the logs of Elanor Creely - no idea if they've been archived. Perhaps they were considered proprietary, so are not in the public domain.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.