The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Old Esterbrook Promotional Item

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 16:53

The source for this listed it as 1870. I'm not sure how old it is, but there is a reference to Esterbrook giving away another match scratcher in 1881, but it's described differently. 

American Stationer, March 3, 1881, page 268

The Esterbrook Steel Pen Company has issued several advertising cards, which serve the double purpose of being useful and of advertising its business. These embrace three designs, two of which are the Falcon Match Scratcher, and Reward of Merit card. They are highly colored and gilt, and represent a miniature "Brother Jonathan" holding a banner, the handle of which is a large steel pen, the banner itself having a small piece fo sand-paper to scratch matches upon. The same design is used for the Reward of Merit card, except that the piece of sandpaper is not upon it, its place being occupied by the words "Reward of Merit." 

A "Brother Johnathan" was a character that pre-dated Uncle Same but was often depicted similarly. Brother Johnathan was originally a representation of New England, and eventually all "Yankees". One theory is that when the Know Nothing Party split, it was divided into camps of moderate "Johnathan" and radical "Sams." Brother Johnathan was eventually replaced by Uncle Sam as the main symbol of the US. 

The one I am sharing below, looks possibly older, but definitely looks like the same kind of vaguely Japanese design you find on many pen boxes which did often use actual Japanese paper wrapped around the cardboard. 

And FYI, Le Count Bros. was a big stationer in San Francisco. Here's a photo of their inside taken by Edward Muybridge (of the famous stop action photos) c. 1865-1879. 

http://oac.cdlib.org...8qf/?brand=oac4

fpn_1490024261__esterbrook_match_scratch

Edited by AAAndrew, 20 March 2017 - 16:54.

My other hobby requires a camera

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

#2 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 17:45

Cool stuff!

#3 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 1,935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 20:18

I never know where to post these kinds of things: here or in Pen History. I usually choose here as there are more people interested in Esterbrook here, but then not all of you are interested in Esterbrook's history. So, I'm glad someone gets a kick our of it. :)

-Montaigne

#4 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,272 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 20:47

I think that here is a good place to post it.  This is one of those fascinating items that add a good deal of enjoyment to the hobby of collecting and enjoying pens.  I don't know if many of us would find it if it were posted somewhere else.  Thanks for posting it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#5 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,917 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:39

I believe the building is still there, is is the one next door, to the left of the present day building 417, which has been remodeled in the Art Deco style (looks like Art Deco anyway.) The original building might have been destroyed in the 1906 earthquake. The building in the corner of California and Montgomery, looks like its design is from the 19th century, the ceiling looks very much like the ones in the antique picture. This area has always been and, still is, full of banks, U.S government buildings and Consulates, all big consumers of paper, pens and all kind of stationery goods. My favorite office goods place, in San Francisco, was created in 1893, it is still in business and its HQ located not far from the LeCount Bros. HQ.
Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

#6 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 1,935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 13:47

I believe the building is still there, is is the one next door, to the left of the present day building 417, which has been remodeled in the Art Deco style (looks like Art Deco anyway.) The original building might have been destroyed in the 1906 earthquake. The building in the corner of California and Montgomery, looks like its design is from the 19th century, the ceiling looks very much like the ones in the antique picture. This area has always been and, still is, full of banks, U.S government buildings and Consulates, all big consumers of paper, pens and all kind of stationery goods. My favorite office goods place, in San Francisco, was created in 1893, it is still in business and its HQ located not far from the LeCount Bros. HQ.

Very interesting! I was wondering if it survived the earthquake and fire. So much did not. That's part of the fun of this research is using Google street view to find some of these old buildings, or where they used to be. 

So, what is this favorite office goods place started in 1893? Do tell! 

-Montaigne

#7 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,917 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:26

Very interesting! I was wondering if it survived the earthquake and fire. So much did not. That's part of the fun of this research is using Google street view to find some of these old buildings, or where they used to be. 

So, what is this favorite office goods place started in 1893? Do tell! 

It is called Patrick and Co, I found them a century after their creation, a welcomed European style, stationery store, in the middle of city changing from old brand stores to chains and tech stores.

The store is still there and there is a Daiso right next door.

http://www.patrickan.../locations-cp-6

In their history, they said that the original building was destroyed by the 1906 earthquake and their ancestor re-started the business from his home. The family bought the flagship building and store in the 1920's hence the Art Deco style.

Edited by Anne-Sophie, 23 March 2017 - 04:27.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

#8 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 1,935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:11

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. It's great to see some are still making it.

-Montaigne

#9 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,917 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:27

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. It's great to see some are still making it.

I also found out that the flagship stationery store in my Uni town, is online. There is also a notebook manufacturer.

I have been promoting "the return of paper note taking, journaling and planning tool" ever since I realized that phone, smart phones and tablet calendars needed the mastery of juggling for proper data input, and showed the inflexibility that Ford used for the color of their Model T, in my choice of layout.

I think that most Boomers and GenXers kept the note taking habit, only GYers started to take notes on computers and embraced the portable and smart phones revolution right away, but, came back to writing on paper, when the Millenials re-discovered it as well.
The spectacular boom and bust of Blackberry, and other fad brands and their eventual replacement by Android, then Apple and, the race for the newest, coolest phone, means that sentimental and important items are kept on paper.

I will not be one of those, who do not appreciate the very useful function of the reminder, in our every present portable devices.

Thank you again for sharing, the most beautiful pictures of your desk sets.

Sponsored Content

|