Swan Leverless Thrift Store Find

Thulcandran

post-135302-0-17867000-1489970398_thumb.jpgHere is a Swan Leverless I found in a thrift store. I am not sure if it is the original container, but it came in a plastic tube with a clever twist closure. The literature pictured was included. Yes, it is a very different filling system, but once I got it apart (after a good soak) and replaced the sac, it writes very nicely. The nib appears to be gold, but the only markings on the nib are SWAN and 1. Near the grip section there is a letter I can't make out and CT. Anyone know any history about this pen. It's very unique, and really cool looking.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenie

• Cob

• Thulcandran

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a rare color. I have only seen it on the 242 series pen, 242/49

Can you check around the black knob for any numbers? There are not always imprinted numbers, but it would be nice to see them

I would imagine this to be a L1xx/49

The nib is gold.

How long is the pen?

Edited by Greenie
fixed typo- THANKS COB!!!

That is indeed pretty rare, especially in that condition - that material is frequently very discoloured.

Early leverless pens (they first appeared in 1933) usually have the model number stamped on the end of the twist knob; these are often quite worn and not easy to read..

I agree that the material code is probably 49 (not 59!)

No 1 leverless pens were quite short; the model code was L112/xx (where xx was the material code) so this one would be L112/49. I have just sold this one - it is 114mm long capped.

URL=https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1489995822__6.jpg]fpn_1489995822__6.jpg

Rgds

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Fat finger error... meant 49, but got it right once, and wrong once. Duly edited to be correct.

No, cannot find any numbers. Nothing on the twist knob or the ferrule. The word SWAN is stamped everywhere! This is a short pen, also 114 mm (4.5 inches), And yes, with my "good" magnifier, I see that the CT is actually 14 CT. Silly me. I'm used to 'K'

-Kent

Yeah. Swan put an imprint on the feed, section, nib, clip, barrel (with the picture of the swan and NY vs England) , sometimes on the cap itself on early hard rubber pens, and the logo on top of cap.

But despite a clear system of model numbers the numbers are not consistently stamped on the pens.

Here at the Mabie Todd forum, some of us picture one drunkard at the factory with a high rate of absenteeism whose job it was to put on the model number.

[snip]

Here at the Mabie Todd forum, some of us picture one drunkard at the factory with a high rate of absenteeism whose job it was to put on the model number.

Exactly: either drunkeness or he was busy making up to little Miss Pretty in the polishing department...

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg