Favourite C/c Fountain Pen

3nding

Sheaffer Targa.

More specifically, my sterling silver Targa with the 14K gold F nib.

Nice Targa!

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3nding

• jar

• tinta

• eharriett

Wow I can't say that any of the pens suggested here doesn't seem great! I want them all... now... :wub: Thank you all for the good responses so far!

Sheaffer Targa.

More specifically, my sterling silver Targa with the 14K gold F nib.

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/pens/targa/sterling_silver_targa_02.jpg

Tony, I have you to say that your Targa is making me reconsider my priorities in life. Maybe having a something to eat in the fridge for next week isn't as important as acquiring such a nice pen... I am now very confused. :rolleyes:

Should add a favourite workhorse, with a terrific edged nib: the Kaweco Dia2/14k "B" stub (by Pendleton Brown).

The Dia2 is inexpensive, comfortable & ruggedly built.

This pen is technically a C/c pen but I'm not happy with the performance of its Kaweco branded screw-piston converter. I use my Dia2 as a cart-only, DC fountain pen.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I have a few Parker 45s (all -- now -- with the squeeze converters). And I love my Metropolitan, and am also quite fond of the Cross Solo I got last year from the estate of a close friend (was able to pick up a converter for it last summer at the Triangle Pen Show).

But truthfully, my favorite c/c pens are my trusty Parker Vectors. They're too skinny to want to write the Great American Novel with, but they are well-behaved little workhorse pens. They're inexpensive, they come in fun colors (my most recent acquisition is a NOS one -- still in the original blister pack when I got it! -- that has blocks of primary colors edged with black, and reminds me of a Mondrian painting), and I don't have problems with them hard starting (even with saturated inks), and they're great tester pens when I get a new ink. I even have a 4 nib unit calligraphy set.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Oh, I also forgot my Dark Lilac Lamy Safari! It's a great pen, too (but I'm sentimental, and love my Vectors *just* a bit more.... :rolleyes:

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I will aways enjoy C/C pens for their ease of cleaning since I tend to switch inks every time I empty a pen! That said, I love my Edison Nouveau Premiere but also my Levenger True Writer; it's been a trusty workhorse pen for years (possibly a decade now?) and I still use it.

I did just get a Sailor though, so we'll see where that falls!

I'll come up with something eventually.

The fines fountain pen is little more than conversation subject, if it is left at home. I carried a Parker 45 through college, then one resided in my stationery box aboard ship. For the 40 years since, one has been in my pocket daily.

A more economical choice might be the HERO Wingsung 233. Among your listed pens, I would choose the Pilot Metropolitan. Though 50 years is a long relationship, I would not hesitate to carry

either of these two everyday. The Metropolitan is especially reliable with the Pilot cartridge and ink.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Actually forgot about my Pilot Vanishing Point. I just wish I could see how much ink was in it. I thought about going to using cartridges but the converter is now stuck in the nib... It can be a very nice pen though...

Over the past few months, I have amassed quite the collection of vintage pens. But it seems like when I pack my three pens for the day, with the exception of my one "main" pen, I always pack new c/c pens. I may be going on a vintage selling spree soon, in fact. The c/c pens hold less ink, so I can change them out regularly, which I like. I can clean them easier, which I also like, and in a pinch, I can grab a standard cartridge and plop in a wide variety of ink, which that too makes it a more desireable pen.

So I've always got at the ready: Waterman Charleston. My first Waterman, which I have no idea what it is, but it was a graduation gift from my girlfriend who knew I was curious about fountain pens and it started this whole trend. A Visconti Hall of Music which seems to always wind up with a cartridge. I have never once filled its converter. My Pilot Vanishing Point, which has become specifically the pen I carry if I am going into a situation where I will be needing to take notes. And lastly, my pilot MR -- I imported a European Metropolitan so I could use standard international cartridges. I really like that pen a lot.

I have mostly c/c pens.

They tend to fall into 2 different areas; some are my pocket walkin' around pens, and others are my long distance runners, used when I'm writing for hours at a time non-stop.

A couple fall into both groups, and then I have my traveling pens.

They are some of my pocket pens, but when I travel, I only use cartridges in them. None are pens I would weep over if lost, even if they're favorites. I've lost 2 in the past I really miss. My favorite traveler is a Shaeffer Prelude, about 10 years old. It's very tough, a good writer, and the cartridges are easier to find.

In general my pocket pens are 2 Lamy Safaris, which were bought initially for that purpose, but have been replaced by 2 Pelikans, one a 250 and the other a limited edition 350. The Pelikans are much more expensive pens, but their clips and size are both very secure in-pocket, so I don't worry about loss.

My long-distance pens are 3 Parker Duofold Internationals, a Pelikan 850, the Safaris, an old Waterman Phineas, and several older Shaeffers. When I'm writing for long stretches at a time, I usually change pens every 30 minutes or so, as it helps the hand fatigue.

Thank you all so much for the responses. This has made for a very interesting read and I have learned a lot about c/c pens. If you have any more ideas or suggestions or anything really I definitely interested! :D

Early in my obsession I despised c/c fillers, probably because I preferred vintage pens and their various filling systems. Then I acquired a Pilot Capless LE Mandarin, which altered my bias. Through my seminary years I found my second Pilot VP to be invaluable for making reading notes and the c/c filling system to be trouble free. Most recently I've acquired an Edison LE Mina, several Ranga Ebonite examples, and a Bexley Prometheus, along with several Jinhao pens that have removed my dislike of c/c fillers. But my favorite c/c filler is my Danitrio FPN Fellowship pen, because it is a singularly stunning pen. I've grown to appreciate that the filling system is less important than the overarching aesthetics of the pen, and of course, how it writes.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.