Favourite C/c Fountain Pen

3nding

Hello all,

I've found that I haven't heard from many c/c fountain pen's that people really really love except for the Parker 45 (and the entry level pens like the Lamy Safari and Pilot Metro), which is indeed quite cool. So I was curious as to what are your favourite cartridge converter fountain pens? I am more of a piston/lever/button filler lover myself, but I do find c/c pens very useful when travelling or just going out of the house for a longer period of time than usual. I know this a subjective topic and that is why I am asking for favourite and not best, although I do hope that you won't shy away from suggesting what you think is your best c/c pen.

Thank you all in advance! :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3nding

• jar

• tinta

• eharriett

As you said, the Parker 45 is my favorite cc pen but many of the Chinese pens are also cartridge-converter fillers. My favorites are the Kaigelu 316, Baoer 338, and the Picasso 915. All are nice pens at very affordable prices.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I can't say that I have a favorite but I do love all the Caran d'Ache, Graf von Faber Castell, Montegrappa, Pilot, Nakaya, Danitrio, Sailor, Waterman, Ferrari da Varese, my modern Parker Duofolds, my ST Duponts, the Grifos, the Aurora cartridge/converter pens, my Sheaffer Targa and Imperial and Legacy family pens, my Deltas and Conway Stewarts, the Yard-o-Leds and don't forget the Platinums.

My Website

Maybe I have been blessed to not experience a "bad" converter, but I enjoy them as much as any of my pens with a piston filler. I especially appreciate them when I clean a pen to use a different colored ink.

Favorite c/c is the Scriptorium custom w/Masuyama broad italic. Close behind are the Franklin-Christoph Panther 40 w/Masuyama broad stub, 02 Intrinsic w/broad SIG, Bexley Gaston's Special Reserve w/stub, & Italix Captain's Commission w/broad italic.

Honorable mention to the Pilot Elite 95S, Sheaffer inlaid c/c pens, Monteverde Catalina, Momento Islands, Jinhao 159, Jinhao 886, & Jinhao 599 for being solid pens.

Edited by NinthSphere

Pelikan Celebry, nice 'true' regular flex nib, steel = gold...both good. Lacquer covered brass body.

Not a twist out nib. As good as the '82-97 M400 or the earlier 381....or the then and modern 200.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Waterman Le Man 100 with a big fat stub nib is my fave- next best a Waterman Carene also with a nice stub- otherwise I really like Parker 65s esp the gold cloud cirrus pattern- loverly !

Tony

Love:

#1 Pilot Elite 95S

#2 Platinum 3776 Century

Like:

#1 Cross Townsend

#2 Edison Collier

#3 Italix Captain's Commission

Pilot Custom 74 with a cosu nib and a kaweco sport with a double broad nib. On the custom 74 I have the con 70 converter, which only lasts a day with how much ink the nib goes through, but I'm fine with that. The kaweco sport bb has a squeeze converter, and while it's not the best converter I feel more comfortable using this pen with inks like the j herbin 1670 line, as the pen can be broken down completely for cleaning.

"Oh deer."

Yeah, there are a TON of very good high-end pens that use c/c systems. Most of the well known hand made Japanese pen houses use them pretty much exclusively except for the ones that are eyedroppers.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

another vote for Platinum 3776... lovely pens, write great, easy to clean. The MB c/c models write as well if not better, but they don't clean as easily imho.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I can't narrow it down to just one. So in no particular order, my favorites are:

Pilot Prera: small, reliable, excellent writer, available in a wide variety of fun colors

Waterman Phileas: excellent writer, reliable

Sailor 1911M: also reliable, also an excellent writer, and I enjoy seeing the ink slosh around in the demo version

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

My C/C favorites that are still made would be the Pilot Custom Heritage 91 and their Falcon (which I think is now the "Elabo"). The CH 91 will take any of Pilot's converters; the plastic version of the Falcon won't take the CON-70. Oh yes, and there's the Pilot Capless Decimo, the skinny version of the Vanishing Point.

Favorites that are no longer made include the Pilot Murex and Montblanc Noblesse. So that's four Pilots and one Montblanc. I don't know if it's the wide mouth on Pilot converters and cartridges, but I've never had the kind of flow problems with them that I sometimes get with international converters. But the Pelikan converter in my Montblanc works just fine.

Right now, I have two C/C pens inked, but also a piston filler, a vintage Vacumatic, and a vintage lever filler. Filling systems are interesting, but it's what happens when the nib meets the paper that's most important to me.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

C/C is a chance feature. As discussed elsewhere, I the only time I have leant toward one filling system rather than another has been my tendency to prefer plunge rather than lever within the Onoto brand. For all other brands, filler is pretty irrelevant. Therefore, my answer is like jar's with a lot fewer brands involved. I have Waterman (mainly Man 100), S T Dupont, Lamy and Graf von Faber Castell C/C pens and happily I really like all of my pens. I have some favourites but not to denigrate others.

X

My favorite c/c pen, of all the ones I own? The translucent blue flat-top Sheaffer school pen, F nib, with Skrip Turquoise.

C/C pens, in general? The Sheaffer and Waterman (JIF series) school pens, Kaweco Sport. I'll always have a soft spot for the P45 though I've stopped using them.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.