Which Pelikan Should I Buy Next? And Is The Stresemann Worth It?

proflady

No.... :) ...it's nice and springy....in flexible is a different game with a ball completely.

(You do have a very nice selection of Pelikans. I don't know from when your 600 is, but most do not have so many pens with nice springy nibs. :thumbup: )

No problem, when one is new....there is an avalanche of information.

My system is built on halves and the 'true' regular flex which you have in your 800/400/200 as the basis.

Nail....no tine spread....one in EF is necessary, writing in margins, editing.

Semi-nail if mashed hard up to 2X tine spread vs a light down stroke. (like a P-75 or post '98 400/600's)

(True) Regular flex, if mashed hard will spread it's tines 3 X a light down stroke.

Semi-flex needs half that pressure to get to 3X.

Maxi-semi-flex half of that or 1/4th the pressure needed with a regular flex.

Those three are in the 3X tine spread set.

The '82-97 Pelikans are in the regular flex set....the W.Germany a tad more flex....just a tad. I have a W.Germany 200.

Not counting Osmia, I find the ratio of maxi-semi-flex to semi-flex to be @5 to 1....averaging my Pelikan, Geha, MB pens. It is pure luck to which one, one gets out side of Osmia which is labeled the Diamond is semi-flex, Supra is maxi-semi-flex.

I have some 26 semi-flex and 13 or so maxi-semi-flex.

In between regular flex and semi-flex is 'Springy', Japanese Falcon, modern MB, and the new Lamy Imporium. Good tine bend, but only 2 X tine spread. :crybaby: :wallbash: The Imporium was so close...but no cigar. It is better than my MB's.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Superflex.....some times "referred" by noobies as 'flex'. :angry: :gaah: :wallbash: I don't like that in some less informed could get a semi-flex nibbed pen and think it will do Olympic splits and ruin the nib.

Superflex spreads the tines 4X, 5-6X mostly and rarely 7X a light down stroke. The more superflex pens you have the less my system works.....but for those new to superflex it's a flashlight in the dark......maps at a different table. Using the same system of 1/2s.

Easy Full Flex spreads it tines with half as much pressure as a maxi-semi-flex, or 1/8th the pressure needed to mash a true regular flex to 3 X. (have 5-6 of these) One a post war Pelikan 100n, will go 5 X but I take it only to 4 X, so I don't spring the nib.

You do have to go to Richard Binder's com, the bible of nibs, filling systems and good advice about inks....takes three days to read. He has an article on how to spring your nib....I take it to heart, and strive not to max the tine spread.

Wet Noodle, half of Easy Full Flex or 1/16th the pressure needed to mash a regular flex to 3 X.

Have two of them....and not hunting more...In I'd have to learn to write.

The Waterman 52, proves that there is more variation in the superflex than my system covers....but is better than none, it started out Easy Full Flex :crybaby: , then half way through the flex turned into a Wet Noodle. :thumbup: It is a rare 7X one if I can make my self write so light EEF to BBB.....and even for me to write EF requires thought...in I'm still a bit heavy handed, mostly the pen writes to an F with me.

My Soennecken wet noodle is regular no surprises 6 X.

John Swoboda/Oxnard on the com came up with the term Weak Kneed Wet Noodle. I have none, seek none....way to much nib for me.

Then there are dip pens...some make a Wet Noodle look uncooked. Hunt 99-100-101 flex in the cup if there is an earthquake in California.

IMO, check the sales section here....look for a semi-flex nib. That will give you all that you are missing***, and you can put that nib on the 200, 400 or 600.

*** :puddle: eventually you will want an Oblique....I suggest a OB, easiest to learn to use, and the B/OB of that era is like your 200/400's or if modern like a modern M. 1/2 narrower than modern. Is a writing nib, not a signature nib and gives such :puddle: line variation.

You have time....never hurry with fountain pens....it will be there the next day, next week or next month.

Springy 'true' regular flex Pelikans I have, a W.Germany 200, a '90's M400 tortoise, a 381, two Celebries, steel = to gold nibs, a 215 and a modern Amethyst 200. I was trans-mailing 200's nibs to a pal in England, and kept checking them out. I grew to like them, they were as good as my '90's M400. In I had a slew of 400's didn't need a 200.... :headsmack: since solved, I got the 215 instead. I had been given a Celebry and later bought another. The nibs are very good, like a 200 or no piston ring 400.

:blush: :rolleyes: I was once a semi-flex snob :unsure: , but cured my self of that. One does of course need a selection of semi/maxi-semi-flex nibs and obliques of that era.....but remember LA was not built in a Day.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• proflady

• sargetalon

• BayesianPrior

Have you checked martiniauctions.com? I got my M600 white tortoise there for about $310 two years ago. Unless she has raised the prices, you can find good deals on Pelikans there, and depending on the Euro-USD exchange rate.

Fwiw, imo the white tortoise is right up there with the brown tortoise in terms of Pelikan's designs, though it has more of a spring and summer feel. I often think of it as my vacation pen since the finish is a bit decadent :)

I also would add that you may want to get the M400 now and then wait till the end of the year as there will be several M8xx releases this year. Some aren't going to be very thrilling (in my opinion) but some are very neat and may catch your fancy more than the Stresmann.

I'm sure you've been sworn to secrecy and even if you weren't the posts wouldn't be here for long....but can you drop any hints? The resurrection of another 620 Cities finish? The rumoured forest green we never saw in 2016? M800 White Tortoise? M800 BROWN Tortoise?!

Should I start an idle speculation thread?

bayesianprior.png

I'm sure you've been sworn to secrecy and even if you weren't the posts wouldn't be here for long....but can you drop any hints? The resurrection of another 620 Cities finish? The rumoured forest green we never saw in 2016? M800 White Tortoise? M800 BROWN Tortoise?!

Should I start an idle speculation thread?

I can't really divulge what is coming just yet because of promises made but I can tell you none of what I've heard about so far includes any of the finishes that you speculate about.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I can't really divulge what is coming just yet because of promises made but I can tell you none of what I've heard about so far includes any of the finishes that you speculate about.

Thank you Joshua. You've said enough. I don't need to worry about an M800 Piazza Navona in 2017. My bank manager thanks you as well :)

Edited by BayesianPrior

bayesianprior.png

It will be banana yellow, because of the many banana peels the City of Hanover keeps on the ground near the big statue at the train station, so you can practice your parachute rolling. :rolleyes:

Perhaps mottled yellow.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Well, I just dropped a wad on a M405 Stresemann. Will it be worth it? I sure hope so.... :unsure:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, I just dropped a wad on a M405 Stresemann. Will it be worth it? I sure hope so.... :unsure:

Congrats, Ruth! I hope you enjoy it in good health :) The striations on the Stressy have very nice sparkly flecks throughout, gives it a bit of flair while the pen as a whole is still stylishly understated. It's a good choice, to me!

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Ruth, the Stresemann is a classy and gorgeous pen. I hope you will love it! Congratulations.

I could not resist for the M805 and M405 Stresemanns, They worth every cent I spent on them.

I am waiting for the M600.

I am sure you will enjoy your 405.

JulioMX

Well Ruth it is understated, .... and beats the hell out of a black and gold pen. :P

Well Ruth it is understated, .... and beats the hell out of a black and gold pen. :P

:lol:

Well if Lamy ever made a gold color Safari (not metallic gold, more like a dark mustard color -- and not the standard bright yellow) with a black clip and nib I might buy one.... :rolleyes:

Just got the info earlier this afternoon that the Stresemann and a 405 Striated Blue have changed hands from German to US ones in Frankfurt. :bunny01: There were a few hiccups during the ordering (and I thought I was going to have to swap to an M nib on the Stresemann, but that got straightened out when I said I didn't mind the nib being "silver" as long as I got a B -- so mine is going to have a two-toned nib. And I'm okay with that because it will make my pen a little bit unique.

edited for formatting

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I could not resist for the M805 and M405 Stresemanns, They worth every cent I spent on them.

I am waiting for the M600.

I am sure you will enjoy your 405.

JulioMX

I went M805 on the Stresemann and M400 on the brown tortoise.

Both beautiful.

Glenn.

I went M805 on the Stresemann and M400 on the brown tortoise.

Both beautiful.

Glenn.

My first bird was an older M400 Brown Tortoise. What's the nib on yours? I have an F and it's very juicy/wet. The nib has a bit of give to it (if not actual flex) and I like it for drawing.

I have a springy 'true' regular flex Germany M400, in M.

M in that flex along with F are very good shading nibs.

Semi-flex being wetter due to ease of tine spread needs a better match of ink to paper to shade as well.

I don't care for modern 400/600 semi-nail nibs....but at least you have that good '90's nib to put on your Stressman.

After years, I'm finally going to get my semi-nail 600 BB made into a M stub.

No need to beat a dead horse about why modern Pelikan 400/600 nibs are so substandard...... :gaah: Where's my horsewhip? :angry:

a little bit unique

People keep using the word "unique" around here.

I do not think it means what they think it means.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

S

My first bird was an older M400 Brown Tortoise. What's the nib on yours? I have an F and it's very juicy/wet. The nib has a bit of give to it (if not actual flex) and I like it for drawing.

Sorry for the slow reply, Ruth.

I bought it from the UK (Niche Pens) and chose the Broad Italic that relatively few sellers are offering with it. I've not inked it yet, but it has a reasonable 'bit of give' to it and I expect it to be juicy and wet as well, as is the M nib on my M400 White Tortoise. I tend to prefer the larger pens, but that one is a delight to use and it's back in rotation.

I noted your comment on the colour of the M405 Stresemann; I said pretty much the same thing about my M805 version... darker than expected, but still very attractive.

I find many of your posts extremely informative; long may you continue.

Regards,

Glenn.

People keep using the word "unique" around here.

I do not think it means what they think it means.

A bit like pregnant? Not a question of degrees.

bayesianprior.png

I truly love the Stresemann, and especially the warm glow of the palladium (?) plating.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give me comparisons on the length (posted and unposted), diameter, weight, etc on the M400's, 600's, and 800's please? Nibs.com usd to have a great table that compared these things, but they have revised their website.

I love a Sailor 1911 standard, a Platinum 3776 Century, and my Newton Shinobi for office work, so If someone can just compare the M's to them, that would be Ben easier for my simple but eager mind.

Thx for this thread, and all the advice you have given.

John Meldorf