Which Pelikan Should I Buy Next? And Is The Stresemann Worth It?

proflady

Hi everyone,

I am TORN about which Pelikan to buy next. I have a modest little flock --

M200 Green Marble with a few nibs to swap out

M400 Brown Tortoise (from the 1990s) M nib

M600 Red/Black Stripe F nib

M800 Green Demonstrator (also from the 1990s) F nib

I love them all! And there are two more that I really want: a white tortoise (would love an M600 but can only afford the M400) and an M805.

Two questions for you experts.

First, I don't know which to get first. I have the money for the White Tortoise now or I could wait a few weeks and get the M800. There's probably not too much to advise on this, but am I right in thinking that I should probably snag the White Tortoise since they are LE?

Second, I adore the look of the Stresemann M805 but I'm having to convince myself that it is worth the extra money when I could get an identical M805 in a different color for cheaper. The only difference between the Blue/Black M805 and the Stresemann is the color right? How have you justified the price difference?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• proflady

• sargetalon

• BayesianPrior

Hi everyone,

I am TORN about which Pelikan to buy next. I have a modest little flock --

M200 Green Marble with a few nibs to swap out

M400 Brown Tortoise (from the 1990s) M nib

M600 Red/Black Stripe F nib

M800 Green Demonstrator (also from the 1990s) F nib

I love them all! And there are two more that I really want: a white tortoise (would love an M600 but can only afford the M400) and an M805.

Two questions for you experts.

First, I don't know which to get first. I have the money for the White Tortoise now or I could wait a few weeks and get the M800. There's probably not too much to advise on this, but am I right in thinking that I should probably snag the White Tortoise since they are LE?

Second, I adore the look of the Stresemann M805 but I'm having to convince myself that it is worth the extra money when I could get an identical M805 in a different color for cheaper. The only difference between the Blue/Black M805 and the Stresemann is the color right? How have you justified the price difference?

It's possible to get the M805 Stresemann for the same price as an M800.

It's possible to get the M805 Stresemann for the same price as an M800.

Intrigued. Okay, more than intrigued. REALLY would like to know. I looked at Cult Pens and it is still more.

Semi-flex '50-65 era. 140, 400-400nn. Gives you that old fashioned fountain pen flair with out doing anything. I have my '54 400's B nib in my 605. :thumbup:

If you like one with oblique. I do suggest OB over OM or OF....in it's easier to use due to larger sweet spot. A writing nib, not a modern signature nib. More an modern M, that the wide modern M of post 97,

Only the '50-65 era Oblique are worth buying if one wants line variation.

If one is left eye dominant and naturally cant's one nib, or is left handed, then a modern semi-nail 400/600 nib would do.....or in the much cheaper 200's steel nib. Don't expect line variation though. None that counts, compared to semi flex. I have tried 'true' regular flex 200's nibs and even own W.Germany 200's OM nib.... :headsmack: :wallbash: ....no go. :crybaby:

Stressman...semi-nail....IMO not as good as your '90's true regular flex. You have a 800 nail.....

Chase the nib....and get something to use instead of different color stripes.

Semi-flex. Please read my signature.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Intrigued. Okay, more than intrigued. REALLY would like to know. I looked at Cult Pens and it is still more.

nibsmith.com

nibsmith.com

For $615?

You can get an M805 for $350 from cultpens, if you're not from the EU.

Edited by invisuu

For my money, I actually think that the Pelikan 120 is the best buy right now and worth getting over the Stresemann.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

I agree in that I would get the M400 Tortoiseshell white first since they are out of production. The M805 is very nice and the price does not have to be significantly different than the other models if you shop around. If you are in the US, you can save several hundred dollars by purchasing overseas. Fritz-Schimpf out of Germany usually has very good prices and I get a lot of my pens from them. You should definitely shop around for the best prices. I also agree with the vote for the M120N. It's a great writer.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I also would add that you may want to get the M400 now and then wait till the end of the year as there will be several M8xx releases this year. Some aren't going to be very thrilling (in my opinion) but some are very neat and may catch your fancy more than the Stresmann.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

Ooooh - I heard that ... "several M8xx releases this year" ... three? More?

I'm totally in love with my M805 Stresemann - it fits my esthetic and has some heft. It's my desert island pen (for now). White tortoise is really not my thing - and I wouldn't get a pen just because it's rare.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

If I were to buy an M805 Stresemann ( which is indeed an elegant pen for business), I would use one of my older springy M800 nibs with it, even though they are bicolored.

Most likely I will wait for an M600 Brown Tortoise, if one should actually occur.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

The m400 white tortoise is a really gorgeous pen. And I see from your list of the pens you own so far that you like marble and tortoise. I have other modern Pelikans but if I had to take one from a burning house, the white tortoise would be the one in my sweaty little paws.... and my brown tortoise with the broad italic nib would be the one I went back for next :-)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Thank you, thank you everyone for all of these great thoughts and suggestions!

I think that I am going to start with the White Tortoise. I love the look of it, but it's not just that. My Brown Tortoise M400 has an amazing somewhat springy nib from the mid 90s, and I would love a m400 with a modern nib. They write differently IMO. The gorgeous look of the White Tortoise definitely pulled me into getting that particular M400, but that isn't the only reason.

I'm thrilled to hear that there will be new M800 releases, so I will wait to see what they are. That gives me some time to save for another splurge. My M800 demonstrator is quite heavy, so I want another M800 that will be a little lighter.

I also realized that I'm traveling to the Middle East in a few weeks for work, and last time, I connected through Frankfurt. I wonder if there will be a pen shop in the airport? I have to look into that.

And thanks sargetalon, for telling me about Fritz-Schimpf!! While the prices on Cult pens are less with the exchange rate, they have some fabulous LE finds.

I'm also going to research the M120N.

proflady - don't count much on Frankfurt airport, no Pelikans at all. I have seen only Faber-Castells (no GvFC), Lamy, and I think MB.

Prices were higher than any on-line Euroean sites, but at least you can try some pens if layover gets too long.

Edit to add: my vote for 120!

Edited by MsRedpen

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

"""""""""I would use one of my older springy M800 nibs with it, even though they are bicolored."""""""""

I'd buy one of those W.Germany or very early '90's 800's which such nibs....no matter how clunky it is...and to me who grew up with standard and medium large pens...it is clunky.

I tried a W.Germany 800 I trans-mailed to Spain in the German idiot seller wouldn't mail to Spain. I liked that nib....it is as good as myth says.

Porflady...is your '90's 800 nail or the old fashioned true regular flex....and when then exactly in the '90's did you buy it.

I'm striving to find a cut off date of when they went to nail with the 800. It could have been in '98 when the 400/600 went to semi-nail. But I don't know.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

...My M800 demonstrator is quite heavy, so I want another M800 that will be a little lighter.

As far as I know, all M800s are about the same weight. Edited by Lam1

Thank you, thank you everyone for all of these great thoughts and suggestions!

I think that I am going to start with the White Tortoise. I love the look of it, but it's not just that. My Brown Tortoise M400 has an amazing somewhat springy nib from the mid 90s, and I would love a m400 with a modern nib. They write differently IMO. The gorgeous look of the White Tortoise definitely pulled me into getting that particular M400, but that isn't the only reason.

I'm thrilled to hear that there will be new M800 releases, so I will wait to see what they are. That gives me some time to save for another splurge. My M800 demonstrator is quite heavy, so I want another M800 that will be a little lighter.

I also realized that I'm traveling to the Middle East in a few weeks for work, and last time, I connected through Frankfurt. I wonder if there will be a pen shop in the airport? I have to look into that.

And thanks sargetalon, for telling me about Fritz-Schimpf!! While the prices on Cult pens are less with the exchange rate, they have some fabulous LE finds.

I'm also going to research the M120N.

All M8xx pens weigh the same amount so if you find your demonstrator to be too heavy the Stresmann and any other M800 or M805 will be identical. If the M800 is too heavy, consider the M405 Stresemann as you get the same finish in the smaller form factor.

proflady - don't count much on Frankfurt airport, no Pelikans at all. I have seen only Faber-Castells (no GvFC), Lamy, and I think MB.

Prices were higher than any on-line Euroean sites, but at least you can try some pens if layover gets too long.

Edit to add: my vote for 120!

Thanks for the heads up! I will have a long layover, so maybe I'll try out a Lamy or two. :)

"""""""""I would use one of my older springy M800 nibs with it, even though they are bicolored."""""""""

I'd buy one of those W.Germany or very early '90's 800's which such nibs....no matter how clunky it is...and to me who grew up with standard and medium large pens...it is clunky.

I tried a W.Germany 800 I trans-mailed to Spain in the German idiot seller wouldn't mail to Spain. I liked that nib....it is as good as myth says.

Porflady...is your '90's 800 nail or the old fashioned true regular flex....and when then exactly in the '90's did you buy it.

I'm striving to find a cut off date of when they went to nail with the 800. It could have been in '98 when the 400/600 went to semi-nail. But I don't know.

Mine was earlier than '98. It is not a nail but not a true flex. It is sort of semi-flex or super springy. I can take a picture if you want. I don't remember the exact year, but I want to guess '96 or '97.

Thanks to those who posted about the weight. I didn't know that all M800s are the same weight! It isn't exactly too heavy, but I was hoping for a little lighter. Hmm, I will have to think about that. M600 is my ideal size. If only there was a Stresemann in that size!

I find the 600 to have many very beautiful pens. There are two models, the early one that is the exact same size as the 400...but a bit more fancied up. And the later medium-large ones. A nice girth....a light and nimble pen.

I don't care for the modern nib, so have a '50's semi-flex B on it. :puddle:

You would have to spend extra money for a '50-65 semi-flex nib....that can be screwed into a 600. Of course you could get the semi-nail nib made Stub or CI. I'm getting ready to do that my self.

It is then as I suspected that when Pelikan changed the 400's nib from a springy 'true' regular flex to semi-nail, the 800 changed to a nail................Thanks for giving me some hope....some day....I may find a 800. That is not anywhere near on the top of my want list, in I find it heavy&clunky. Others who grew up with Large pens don't.

The W.Germany nibs....which stopped in @'90, were reputed to be a tad more flexible than the Germany nibs to '97. I have a W. Germany 200 that is a tad more flexible....and one needs both to think there is a difference......

My M400 no piston ring '90-96 because it's tortoise and tortoise stopped a year before the green stripped one is a nice 'true' regular flex nib with a bit of spring to it. I call the old fashioned regular flex nibs....'true' regular flex....in it was regular issue for a long time and most companies had a pen with normal regular issue nibs.

Then @ '98 at least with Pelikan and others also stopped in the mid-late '90's issuing 'true' regular flex nibs because the Invading Ball Point Barbarians bent so many nibs, that the companies went over to nail and semi-nail regular issue instead of the once issued regular flex.

The reason why the modern 400/600 are semi-nails and fat and blobby nibbed, is many of the Ball Point Barbarians insist on holding a fountain pen like a ball point. So the tip has to be fatter, the back of the nib needs a ball too, like the front. Double Kugal. 1/2 a width wider than semi-vintage or vintage....don't have the clear line of the semi-vintage or vintage.

Are good for making Stubs or CI out of.

They had the K nibs of the fifties, which were like normal nibs, flat and stubby on the bottom, and had the ball on the top of the nib for those who liked holding a fountain pen like a pencil....pre-ball points.

I strive to make sure folks know there use to be a nice springy 3 X tine spread vs a light line....(when well mashed), that gives a lots nicer ride than semi-nail&nail.

Some folks coming over from nail, run into the 'true' regular flex, and having never seen a nib spread it's tines.....( :rolleyes: Ham Fisted.... :P Was that once my self.) think it semi-flex...which it is not. The modern 200 is that sort of nib, still.

If you sell your 800 do mention that nib....folks who don't like nails will pay extra for it.

If you post a 400 it will not be too small and will be very well balanced. The same with a posted 600.

Even the medium-small '50-60's 140 has a long cap, so posts as long as a 400. It's also a pen to keep in mind if you head to semi-flex. The nib is small so it looks dorky in a 400/600, but still it's a nice pen.

I find the 600 to have many very beautiful pens. There are two models, the early one that is the exact same size as the 400...but a bit more fancied up. And the later medium-large ones. A nice girth....a light and nimble pen.

I don't care for the modern nib, so have a '50's semi-flex B on it. :puddle:

You would have to spend extra money for a '50-65 semi-flex nib....that can be screwed into a 600. Of course you could get the semi-nail nib made Stub or CI. I'm getting ready to do that my self.

It is then as I suspected that when Pelikan changed the 400's nib from a springy 'true' regular flex to semi-nail, the 800 changed to a nail................Thanks for giving me some hope....some day....I may find a 800. That is not anywhere near on the top of my want list, in I find it heavy&clunky. Others who grew up with Large pens don't.

The W.Germany nibs....which stopped in @'90, were reputed to be a tad more flexible than the Germany nibs to '97. I have a W. Germany 200 that is a tad more flexible....and one needs both to think there is a difference......

My M400 no piston ring '90-96 because it's tortoise and tortoise stopped a year before the green stripped one is a nice 'true' regular flex nib with a bit of spring to it. I call the old fashioned regular flex nibs....'true' regular flex....in it was regular issue for a long time and most companies had a pen with normal regular issue nibs.

Then @ '98 at least with Pelikan and others also stopped in the mid-late '90's issuing 'true' regular flex nibs because the Invading Ball Point Barbarians bent so many nibs, that the companies went over to nail and semi-nail regular issue instead of the once issued regular flex.

The reason why the modern 400/600 are semi-nails and fat and blobby nibbed, is many of the Ball Point Barbarians insist on holding a fountain pen like a ball point. So the tip has to be fatter, the back of the nib needs a ball too, like the front. Double Kugal. 1/2 a width wider than semi-vintage or vintage....don't have the clear line of the semi-vintage or vintage.

Are good for making Stubs or CI out of.

They had the K nibs of the fifties, which were like normal nibs, flat and stubby on the bottom, and had the ball on the top of the nib for those who liked holding a fountain pen like a pencil....pre-ball points.

I strive to make sure folks know there use to be a nice springy 3 X tine spread vs a light line....(when well mashed), that gives a lots nicer ride than semi-nail&nail.

Some folks coming over from nail, run into the 'true' regular flex, and having never seen a nib spread it's tines.....( :rolleyes: Ham Fisted.... :P Was that once my self.) think it semi-flex...which it is not. The modern 200 is that sort of nib, still.

If you sell your 800 do mention that nib....folks who don't like nails will pay extra for it.

If you post a 400 it will not be too small and will be very well balanced. The same with a posted 600.

Even the medium-small '50-60's 140 has a long cap, so posts as long as a 400. It's also a pen to keep in mind if you head to semi-flex. The nib is small so it looks dorky in a 400/600, but still it's a nice pen.

So I'm afraid I didn't answer correctly! I thought you were asking about the nib on my Brown Tortoise M400! My confusion. I'm sorry. I was reading too many posts too quickly.

The M800 demonstrator I have is this one:

https://thepelikansperch.com/2015/12/23/pelikan-m800-collectors-edition/

I bought it about 1994, and yes, the two-tone nib is quite flexible!

The nib on my Brown Tortoise M400 from the 1990s is semi-flex to me, but I am NO expert in flexible nibs. The nib is just gold (not two tone) 14C-585.

I love these pens! I bought them when I was young and knew nothing much except that I liked the way they wrote when I tried them in the store. Ha!