Good Stub?

tgoto

Hi guys,

I've been using fp with EF, F and M.

(MB 144, 149, Aurora Optima, Omas Extra and Rotring ArtPen)

I am now considering getting fp with stub.

Is there any pen with stub nib that you recommend?

There is no specific criteria. I just wanted to hear what you like.

Thank you!

tgoto

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tgoto

• ethernautrix

• Tasmith

• JMTB

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the Lamy 1.1mm and the TWSBI 1.1mm are excellent: not too wet for left-handed people and suitably smooth without losing the line variation intended.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Here is a link to "Stub o' the Day" that you might enjoy: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/238274-stub-o-the-day/page-63?do=findComment&comment=3809614.

Looks like it will open to the last page (63). If you want to start at the beginning, try this link:https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/238274-stub-o-the-day

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

+1 on the TWSBI 1.1mm stub as an affordable way to get into stubs. Less than $30 for the ECO and $55 for the 580. TWSBI has other models too, but I have only used these two. I found the 1.1mm on the ECO seems to write more like a .8mm or so and the 580 is a true 1.1mm. I purchased the ECO and 580 from Anderson Pens.

And if you find yourself not using or liking a stub, an easily replaceable nib unit is $20 for the 580 and a whole new ECO is again less than $30.

I have a MB 146 with a .56mm cursive italic ground from a medium by Linda Kennedy of Indy-Pen-Dance. Excellent daily writer and one of my favorite nibs. Regrinding a nib will cost at least $40.

I use Rotring Art Pens for calligraphy and the two most used are the 1.1mm and 1.5mm. The best price I found for the Rotring Art Pen is at Dick Blick .

Edited by Tasmith

Somewhat in order:

Ft Madison made Sheaffer stubs.

Pendimonium stub modification.

Aurora stubs.

Delta stubs.

Montegrappa stubs.

Richard Binder stub modification.

John Mottishaw stub modification.

IndiPenDance stub modification.

My Website

Wow! Thank you all!

I always appreciate your hands-on experience and input!

I am going to spend a wonderful time today!

The Montblanc nibs size B and wider are essentially stubs.

If cost is an issue, there are many inexpensive pens that come with or can be fitted with the Jowo untipped stainless steel nibs, as others have pointed out. These include the TWSBI pens and many handmade Indian pens. The Nemosine stub nibs are well regarded too (I have not tried them.)

A nibmeister's regrind of a tipped nib can provide a more refined writing experience than an untipped stub. For example the Jowo B nib (itself not a stub) can be ground to a stub of up to 1.0mm width.

I use a Lamy 1.1 nib in the Lamy joy.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Toss in a rec for Franklin-Christoph & Italix.

Oh totally forgot that one!

Masuyama special nibs!

I wish I can try them out...missed LA show this year, so I may have to wait for a while to do some testing.

I love their pens though.

The Montblanc nibs size B and wider are essentially stubs.

If cost is an issue, there are many inexpensive pens that come with or can be fitted with the Jowo untipped stainless steel nibs, as others have pointed out. These include the TWSBI pens and many handmade Indian pens. The Nemosine stub nibs are well regarded too (I have not tried them.)

A nibmeister's regrind of a tipped nib can provide a more refined writing experience than an untipped stub. For example the Jowo B nib (itself not a stub) can be ground to a stub of up to 1.0mm width.

I do have budget, but it doesn't have to be a low one.

I do a lot of writng (plan checking and redlining), so I just want to have fun doing that.

I will look into B nib for MB. I have F and M nib but never tried B.

Thank you!

I use a Lamy 1.1 nib in the Lamy joy.

I see more Lamy users here.

I once used Safari in medium nib but I shall try the 1.1.

Thank you!

Both the Lamy 1.1mm and the TWSBI 1.1mm are excellent: not too wet for left-handed people and suitably smooth without losing the line variation intended.

I agree, especially for the price. But my TWSBI and Lamy stubs write very differently. There is more line variation on my Lamy, but the vertical thickness is not close to the TWSBI's. I don't know if that is typical or just my nibs.

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

You might want to try the ...

http://i.imgur.com/vPuUdQl.jpg

large selection of colours , not expensive , smooth stubby nib , excellent pen.

Lamy and Pilot...

They seem to be inexpensive...I might as well give it a try.

And...this is how fp collection grows...