Perfect "mauve Taupe"

HalloweenHJB

Hi all — I've been wanting what TO ME is a perfect mauve color, but I haven't found it among the inks that I've seen.

I thought that Robert Oster's Australian Opal Mauve would be a good option, but it still is too rosey-pink.

I'm thinking of the classic Victorian mauve that his just a hint of tan or taupe (hex code: 915f6d). Like this:

fpn_1489793486__915f6d.png

I've been trying to mix some inks, and I now all I'm getting is grapey violet. Arrrgh.

fpn_1489793573__2017-03-17_191145.jpg

fpn_1489793550__2017-03-17_191159.jpg

Does anyone have a good recipe or a good manufactured ink that would come close to the swatch at the top?

THANKS!

Edited by HalloweenHJB

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HalloweenHJB

• eyesa

• mmg122

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have any recipe, but I have an idea. What about mixing J. Herbin Rouille d'Ancre with one of your violet inks?

Hi Halloween HJB!

I don't have a recipe but maybe introducing a tan ink to the mix might get you closer to mauve. I think DeA makes a couple tan inks ie DeA Cookie and YlangYlang. Just a thought.

Mary

I don't have any recipe, but I have an idea. What about mixing J. Herbin Rouille d'Ancre with one of your violet inks?

I don't have any RdA on hand, but I do have something similar. I may split the bottle of experimental ink into three smaller ones, and try out different things... Thanks for the suggestion!

Have you looked at Diamine Handel?

Just eyeballing it, it looks still too violet without the brown-ish factor —although it is a pretty ink!). It might be a good ink to start with for a mix if I ever try this again. The trouble is, I already have a full bottle of "experimental" ink that I hope I can fix to my liking. I'll try a couple of other options with it.

Hi Halloween HJB!

I don't have a recipe but maybe introducing a tan ink to the mix might get you closer to mauve. I think DeA makes a couple tan inks ie DeA Cookie and YlangYlang. Just a thought.

Mary

Actually, I was already thinking that, so perhaps that's a good option. I do have deA Cookie and YlangYlang, as well as Caramel. Hmmm. Might be my next experiment...

UPDATE: The tan ink might have been the trick. I may have found the hue I was looking for.

Here's what Oster calls Mauve. For me, it's too rosey-pink, and I want the more Victorian boudoir color.

fpn_1489886386__2017-03-18_170954.jpg

So here is what I finally came up with today. It's the traditional "opera mauve" but with more taupe that was more common in the late 19th-early 20th centuries:

fpn_1489886411__2017-03-18_171003.jpg

YAY!!

And to have a general idea of the range this is in, here's a view of my ink color cards in order (left to right, top to bottom):

fpn_1489886432__2017-03-18_171252.jpg

Hi there HalloweenHJB,

when I mix inks I try to start with some close pre-made inks (mostly Noodler's, as I have many of them and am familiar with their properties.) For your perfect mauve, I'd start with Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses or Mandalay Maroon (both excellent inks on their own. I especially recommend BSER.) Your perfect Mauve (at right) seems a bit bluer to my eye, but then that may be my monitor.

Hope you find your perfect mix! (BTW, my swabs are from the Goulet Swab Shop interactive tool (https://www.gouletpens.com/Interactive-Swab-Shop), where it's always easy to make comparisons.

post-110427-0-55869800-1489925599.png

Edited by eyesa

Thanks for the images and the recommendations!

You're right: the mauve that I have in my mind's eye has a touch more blue —it's the shade that's just exactly in between pinky-rose and lavender-violet, with a hint of dusty-tan. If that makes any sense! Could I get just a wee bit more specific?! ;)

I have not seen BSER up close, but every image I've seen looks to be more brown to me than I'm looking for, and I already have a number of pinky browns. [bTW, have you ever tried KWZ Brown Pink? Interesting ink...]

The closest manufactured inks I've seen are deA Patchouli (too red), Oster Aussie Opal Mauve (too pink), and J. Herbin Poussière de Lune (too violet).

So my current franken-ink has come about as close as I've seen. I'll work with it more to see if it can be tweaked.

Edited by HalloweenHJB

Thanks for the images and the recommendations!

Could I get just a wee bit more specific?! ;)

I have not seen BSER up close, but every image I've seen looks to be more brown to me than I'm looking for, and I already have a number of pinky browns. [bTW, have you ever tried KWZ Brown Pink? Interesting ink...]

A bit MORE specific? Of course! If the specific didn't interest, we wouldn't be here talking :)

Yes I've had a sample Of KWZi Brown Pink. Definitely interesting. I will have to check the Oster & DA inks.

BTW, I've not found BSER too brown, but a soothing dried rose kind of color. It's clearly more yellow than your aimed at color. Perhaps a drop or two of BSAR would pink it up. Anyway, the fun is in the exploring...

Thanks for adding a couple for me to sleuth!

Edited by eyesa

So here's the Robert Oster & DeAtramentis' inks in visual comparison The Robert Oster was from the Squishy Ink Blog and probably closest:

post-110427-0-55064800-1489934156_thumb.png

Edited by eyesa

Here's a link to the Berry d'Arche: https://www.google.com/amp/s/squishyink.wordpress.com/2017/03/19/robert-oster-berry-darche-review/amp/

Might be too dark but it's a dark plum that sure leans tan/brown.

Good catch, Uncial!

Wow. Looks really very dark. Unusual, rich color, though. I may have to investigate... ;)

Just looking at this on my iPad, it looks similar to Robert Oster Copper:

https://www.andersonpens.com/Robert-Oster-Copper-Fountain-Pen-Ink-p/ros-copper.htm

It seems close.

How interesting! A "copper" that's really "burgundy." Yes, it does look fairly close. Thanks for the heads-up.

Not sure what RO is thinking —it might be like his so-called "bronze" that really is ... ???

I'll admit that when I think "mauve" and "ink" in the same sentence I think Noodler's La Reine Mauve. But that may still be a little more pink/purple than you want, from what you've been saying.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."