Which Ink Is Going To Be Your Next Ink And Why?

inkotheque

Just curious to know which criteria you apply to make the decision to buy a new ink.

In my case I just received 6 bottles of quite "conventional" inks (blue, purple, bordeaux..)

post-135208-0-72939400-1489750489_thumb.jpg

and now I'm thinking that my next one will probably be something somehow more "extreme" like a really flashy orange ink.

My two ten fingers on a typewriter computer keyboard have never connected with my brain heart.

My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course.

- Graham Greene Inkotheque

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BradGad

• Lugworm

• Miaxina

• eyesa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Must be reasonably cheap but with good reviews.

Must be OK to sign letters in work with it. So pink is out.

Two bottles arrived today. Both Diamine. Royal blue because my sons school is fussy and Eau de Nil wasn't blue enough. He's only in primary. Grrrr.

Ancient copper was the other colour. Dark enough. Looks nice in my journal. Not had a brown before.

It will take me a while now to get through what I've got so that's it for me for quite some time.

Edited by Lugworm

My debt he paid, my death he died, that I might live.

Soon, I will be placing an order for diamine Chocolate brown, Sepia, and red dragon.
Basically, because I'm still starting my ink collection, and diamine is cheap and good.
These colours specifically, because I don't have a brown or red ink yet, and these seem the most beautiful to me. I like the dark brown of Chocolate brown, and the red ragon is just red enough and dark enough, and I read good things about it.

The sepia... well, actually because of this picture: http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/DiamineSepiaObservations.jpg
Now, isn't that gorgeous?

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

My criteria? It must be iron gall -- i.e., water-proof, smudge-proof, bleed-proof, feather-proof, fade-proof, easy to clean, easy to use, wonderful juice.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

My criteria? It must be iron gall -- i.e., water-proof, smudge-proof, bleed-proof, feather-proof, fade-proof, easy to clean, easy to use, wonderful juice.

Use a Bic

I think I might try Robert Oster Purple Soul. For six months, I have been using Purple Rock in my Parker 51, but the purple is not very apparent in that pen; for the most part, the ink appears dark gray or, in some cases, strangely, green. My current thought is to save Purple Rock for pens that show the color better and to find a somewhat purpler ink to use in the Parker 51.

My general criteria are that an ink has to be a not-too-bright purple, that it has to flow well, and that the color shows to advantage in the pen in which I intend to use it.

Most important criteria for me, after color, is show/bleed through on regular paper. While color is paramount, I won't hesitate to cast an ink aside if it fails that test. Reviews can help a lot there.

ETA: Oops, only answered the question posed in the first line of the post but not the topic.

My 'next' ink was Cross Violet, which arrived this week and I'm now trying in 2 pens. I'd started with Dark Lilac last year but it came out looking almost black in the pens I tried it in so I turned to Majestic Purple. It was almost as bad as DL plus it had more show/bleed than I like (not near as bad as Twilight but more than the Diamines I do use). I saw vis' review and liked the color. I seems well-behaved on my log and I'll see how it does on the copy at work tonight.

Appears well-mannered on the copy at work, very minimal show-through. The color is nice, a little darker than medium, very pleasant.

Edited by chromantic

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I have two bottles inbound. Sailor DoYou and Noodlers Red Rattler Eel. They are both supposed to be excellent inks for removing the stains left by other inks. Also the Eel line is supposed to be good at lubricating piston filler mechanisms. A vintage pen with a vacuum filler system just landed in my collection and I wanted to use some of the Eel ink in there. One to lube up the insides a bit and to cleanup any residue from generations of old ink.

In general I don't have a single criteria that defines when I will or will not buy new ink. Sometimes I'm looking for a color, sometimes just to try a brand, sometimes I'm looking for a particular ink properly, and the list of 'reasons to buy ink' just goes on and on.

Like Exploratorius, I'm a fan of iron gall inks. So my next ink will probably be one of the new Platinum Classic inks. My criteria for ink purchases is that it has to be an ink I'm almost positive I'll enjoy and it has to be substantially different from the other inks I have.

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

After my sudden explosion of spending (ring, not pens and inks) I'll be lucky if I can afford Diamine Autumn Oak and R&K Sepia. On the other hand, I may grab some more Sailor ink later in the year. At $10 a bottle it's a hard price to resist.

Use a Bic

Nah. Smears too easily, globs, frequently doesn't write, fades surprisingly fast, hard to clean, skips, requires pressure to use, no line shading, etc. I know a lot of people are fans of ballpoints and gel pens, but I'm not one of them.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

...my next ink will probably be one of the new Platinum Classic inks.

Those look intriguing to me as well.

=======

My next ink is very likely to be a sample of Noodler's original Purple, my current top candidate for The Essential Purple (see the Waypoints thread in my signature, which I wrote to answer the OP's question). It's an attractive color, clearly purple, and fade resistant. I just have to see how it works for me.

If not, it's likely to be a sample of Noodler's original Brown, to see if it beats Iroshizuku Yama-Guri as my choice for the Essential Brown. Yama-Guri is a bit too cool and green of a brown to have a lot of appeal for me.

Of course, that presumes that nobody gives me some other ink before then.

Use a Bic

Lugworm, have you ever actually fade-tested a Bic? I have, and it went surprisingly quickly.

Sorry. The use a Bic comment was more of a lame attempt at humour.

Whilst a ball point has its uses such as on carbon duplicate paper in my work, given the choice its fountain pen all the way for me. Along with a single edged razor, wind up pocket watch, 35mm SLRs etc. I ink I was born a few decades too late.

Whilst a ball point has its uses such as on carbon duplicate paper in my work, given the choice its fountain pen all the way for me.

Maybe you should look into a nice 40's-50's Pelikan, Montblanc or Esterbrook with a manifold nib. These were made specifically for use with carbon paper. :thumbup:

Maybe you should look into a nice 40's-50's Pelikan, Montblanc or Esterbrook with a manifold nib. These were made specifically for use with carbon paper. :thumbup:

Last week I moved into a new office with its own cash office. The carbon paper has gone. Bic for sale.

I have to say I have no idea what will be my next ink. I'm holding off on ink purchases right now, so we'll see what pops up that looks interesting as we progress through this year.