Duofold: Looks Mint – Shall I Wash It?

the_gasman

I'm pleased with the Ebay purchase of a Duofold Standard, that arrived this morning:

fpn_1489765657__duofoldstandard.jpg

I have two questions:

1. Do you think that the box, which is pristine, is original to the pen?
  2. The ink sac looks as if it has never seen ink; the nib has collected dust but has no hint of ink residue behind it; the fins of the feed are untarnished; and the cap/barrel have no marks of use. Shall I wash and rinse the pen or leave it as it is?

As background, I spotted the pen on Ebay and thought that it had seen little use but, now that I can examine it closely, I suspect that not only has it never been filled, it has possibly never even been tried.

My original intention was to buy it for my cousin for his birthday (he was recently fascinated by my old fountain pens) but I am now tempted to give him one of my other pens, and to keep this beautiful pen for myself. Is that being too selfish?

Cheers,

David.

Edited by the_gasman

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• the_gasman

• PaulS

• FarmBoy

The box is generic.

Don't wash the pen.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The box is generic.

Don't wash the pen.

Thanks FarmBoy.

I intuitively thought that I shouldn't even wash the pen, and that seems to be the consensus, but why shouldn't I?

Mind you, I am finding it almost irresistible to avoid filling with ink and writing with it. I know I mustn't but it keeps looking at me, calling me, beckoning me over: you know, that whole Siren thing!

Cheers,

David.

I would have thought that the pen would have chalk marks if it had never been used. Perhaps very little used might be more accurate?

If you take care the I am sure that you can maintain this condition.

I would give it some use, flush the pen when you are done and no one will ever know.

Chalkmarked or not, that is a pristine pen, David. Enjoy your new pen. What is the nib like? These English Duofolds, most of the time, have very interesting nibs on them.

Khan M. Ilyas

Chalkmarked or not, that is a pristine pen, David. Enjoy your new pen. What is the nib like? These English Duofolds, most of the time, have very interesting nibs on them.

Thanks, Khan, such a message from a renowned Parker man means a lot. The nib looks like a straight-forward medium, though I haven't yet used it as I have been awaiting the valued opinions of FPN members. I buy pens because I enjoy using them so, despite my concerns about not spoiling a possible unused status, I don't think that I will be able to resist. As Oscar Wilde famously said, "I can resist anything but temptation". So wise. Between Oscar Wilde and your "Enjoy your pen", the fate of the pen is sealed. I'm afraid that my cousin misses out but I shall find a suitable alternative – to ease my guilt.

I certainly don't buy my pens with an eye on either investment or profit from re-sale, I just gain a lot of pleasure from using them. That is why your second sentence is so influential – it merely pushes me down a path that I wanted to travel anyway.

Many thanks,

David.

Thanks, Khan, such a message from a renowned Parker man means a lot. The nib looks like a straight-forward medium, though I haven't yet used it as I have been awaiting the valued opinions of FPN members. I buy pens because I enjoy using them so, despite my concerns about not spoiling a possible unused status, I don't think that I will be able to resist. As Oscar Wilde famously said, "I can resist anything but temptation". So wise. Between Oscar Wilde and your "Enjoy your pen", the fate of the pen is sealed. I'm afraid that my cousin misses out but I shall find a suitable alternative – to ease my guilt.

I certainly don't buy my pens with an eye on either investment or profit from re-sale, I just gain a lot of pleasure from using them. That is why your second sentence is so influential – it merely pushes me down a path that I wanted to travel anyway.

Many thanks,

David.

You are welcome, David.

And, I am just learning about Parkers.

Khan M. Ilyas

I'm sure we don't really believe that - my impression is that you know a great deal about Parker pens, and am sure we're all very grateful for the benefit of your knowledge :) ​ But, not so sure that I follow the comment ......... "These English Duofolds, most of the time, have very interesting nibs on them." .........

I could be wrong, but believe we're speaking here of the post 1953 wide cap band A/F and aero fillers, plus all of the slightly later narrow cap band aero fillers............. I guess we could also include 'Victories' at a pinch - all Newhaven pens.

I have forty plus of these things - everything from the Lady up to the Maxima - but wouldn't speak of them as having 'very interesting nibs', unless we are suggesting that the post 1958 examples with date codes and sizes, on the nibs, provide a little more interest.

Most are firm, some very much so, and provide little room for expressive handwriting, although it's a fact that overall these pens are reliable workhorses.

So - trying, as usual, to be contentious but in the most polite way, Mitto - please do tell us what it is that I'm overlooking :D

Sorry, David, have to say that I'm puzzled as to your original question as to washing your pen - it sounds as though that was the last thing it needed - very pristine. :)

Edited by PaulS

Sorry, David, have to say that I'm puzzled as to your original question as to washing your pen - it sounds as though that was the last thing it needed - very pristine. :)

PaulS, it's just my OCD – the nib has dust underneath, on the feed side (he says with his most embarrassed expression on his face). I guess it's entitled to have collected some dust after 50+ years.

Cheers,

David.

I'm sure we don't really believe that - my impression is that you know a great deal about Parker pens, and am sure we're all very grateful for the benefit of your knowledge :) ​ But, not so sure that I follow the comment ......... "These English Duofolds, most of the time, have very interesting nibs on them." .........

I could be wrong, but believe we're speaking here of the post 1953 wide cap band A/F and aero fillers, plus all of the slightly later narrow cap band aero fillers............. I guess we could also include 'Victories' at a pinch - all Newhaven pens.

I have forty plus of these things - everything from the Lady up to the Maxima - but wouldn't speak of them as having 'very interesting nibs', unless we are suggesting that the post 1958 examples with date codes and sizes, on the nibs, provide a little more interest.

Most are firm, some very much so, and provide little room for expressive handwriting, although it's a fact that overall these pens are reliable workhorses.

So - trying, as usual, to be contentious but in the most polite way, Mitto - please do tell us what it is that I'm overlooking :D

So only the later nibs with the datecodes and sizes are, if only a little bit, interesting? Just a counter question. Why these are somewhat interesting and the others, with no datecodes and sizes, are not? Though it is a partial validation of my opinion even if it was just a rudimentary one.

And why the argumentative tone? It was my opinion and you have every right to not agree with it.

To me most of the Newhaven nibs, including the ones found on NS and AF Duofolds, are quite interesting in comparison to US made (most often nail of the nails) nibs. In fact all my interesting Parker nibs are either English or Canadian.

You being in England having 40 English Duofolds did not impress me at all. Lol.

I, despite having no accsess to ebay and not being entitled to having a paypal account, have accomulted about 300 of these English 'thingies'. Lols again.

No offence intended.

Regatds.

Khan M. Ilyas

I, despite having no accsess to ebay and not being entitled to having a paypal account, have accomulted about 300 of these English 'thingies'.

Wow! Now that is IM-PRESS-IVE! It also puts to bed your modest denial of expertise. ;)

At various times, you have posted some images of bargains, beauties, and beautiful bargains.

I always enjoy your pictorial contributions.

Cheers,

David.

......... and no offence taken mitto :) - as I said earlier we'd be the poorer for your absence - and I've been collecting for little more than a couple of years, so perhaps have some way to go to catch up with your quantity, although since these pens don't fire me up then it's possible you will always be ahead of me. I have collected from the internet, and would agree it's so much quicker and easier, but it lacks fun and is too predictable - so now I frequent antiques markets and charity shops, which has slowed down the rate of accumulation but is oh so much more enjoyable.

Personally, with very few exceptions, I find this Duofold range unexciting - the colours lack imagination, and the nibs are mostly far too firm for my liking - the majority of them producing indistinguishable lines - yes, perhaps we all have Mr. P to thank for introducing nails.

I have a small, but very mixed/catholic/eclectic collection of f.ps. - from a variety of makers and spread over something like a century - and if I'm honest it does seem that 'how a nib writes' is a fundamental issue when we come to assessing whether or not a pen is 'for us'. Having said that I'm not a letter writer, but get a thrill from using a nib with some or a lot of flex, and really cannot get passionate about firm Newhaven Duofold nibs.

I wasn't seriously suggesting that Newhaven nibs sporting year and size data are any more interesting than those without, but I guess you could argue such points do create some additional interest insofar as we can be more specific as to a pens provenance and date of birth. But then again, as I've discovered, nib replacement can throw a spanner in the works and mislead, especially for a newish collector like me.

Just to contradict myself though, and being first and foremost a collector, I have a passion for rarity, and so lust after the biggies like Maxima and Seniors more than some of the smaller models. Picked up a mint Maxima the other day - with chalk marks showing the price of Sterling fifty shillings - from a U.K. charity shop, and in its box - gorgeous.

I hope we are still friends and that you will still talk to me even though my collection is so very small :notworthy1: :D

Edited by PaulS

Give it to your cousin.

I probably will ... though I shall cry when I do so.

However, now that I think about it, my cousin's birthday isn't until July, so if I give it to him it conveniently removes the quandary about whether to wash a potentially mint pen. He will, presumably, use it rather than gaze lovingly at it so its possibly mint status is destined to be shattered anyway.

Of course, being the considerate family member that I am, it would be totally unreasonable of me to gift him a pen that might not work. Therefore, solely from a sense of duty, I feel bound to sacrifice my time in embarking upon a three month write-test. I think that that should be long enough to decide whether or not it works.

So, between mitto's injunction to "enjoy your pen" and your encouragement to "give it to your cousin", I have found the perfect compromise. A good shove in the right direction was all that I needed.

Cheers,

David.

Edited by the_gasman

I probably will ... though I shall cry when I do so.

However, now that I think about it, my cousin's birthday isn't until July, so if I give it to him it conveniently removes the quandary about whether to wash a potentially mint pen. He will, presumably, use it rather than gaze lovingly at it so its possibly mint status is destined to be shattered anyway.

Of course, being the considerate family member that I am, it would be totally unreasonable of me to gift him a pen that might not work. Therefore, solely from a sense of duty, I feel bound to sacrifice my time in embarking upon a three month write-test. I think that that should be long enough to decide whether or not it works.

So, between mitto's injunction to "enjoy your pen" and your encouragement to "give it to your cousin", I have found the perfect compromise. A good shove in the right direction was all that I needed.

Cheers,

David.

David, it is my birth day today (my profile says it) and among the presents I received from my antique dealer friends are three 51s and a sterling silver Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial. One of the 51 has a beautiful stub nib. This would be my second 51 with a stub nib. The other two have F nibs. I am super happy.

I would again say enjoy using your new pen.

Khan M. Ilyas

David, it is my birth day today (my profile says it) and among the presents I received from my antique dealer friends are three 51s and a sterling silver Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial. One of the 51 has a beautiful stub nib. This would be my second 51 with a stub nib. The other two have F nibs. I am super happy.

I would again say enjoy using your new pen.

Happy birthday, Khan.

You have the kind of friends that everyone should have.

I can now return your entreaty to "Enjoy your pens", though I don't think that there is much chance that you won't.

Have a great day.

Cheers,

David.

......... and no offence taken mitto :) - as I said earlier we'd be the poorer for your absence - and I've been collecting for little more than a couple of years, so perhaps have some way to go to catch up with your quantity, although since these pens don't fire me up then it's possible you will always be ahead of me. I have collected from the internet, and would agree it's so much quicker and easier, but it lacks fun and is too predictable - so now I frequent antiques markets and charity shops, which has slowed down the rate of accumulation but is oh so much more enjoyable.

Personally, with very few exceptions, I find this Duofold range unexciting - the colours lack imagination, and the nibs are mostly far too firm for my liking - the majority of them producing indistinguishable lines - yes, perhaps we all have Mr. P to thank for introducing nails.

I have a small, but very mixed/catholic/eclectic collection of f.ps. - from a variety of makers and spread over something like a century - and if I'm honest it does seem that 'how a nib writes' is a fundamental issue when we come to assessing whether or not a pen is 'for us'. Having said that I'm not a letter writer, but get a thrill from using a nib with some or a lot of flex, and really cannot get passionate about firm Newhaven Duofold nibs.

I wasn't seriously suggesting that Newhaven nibs sporting year and size data are any more interesting than those without, but I guess you could argue such points do create some additional interest insofar as we can be more specific as to a pens provenance and date of birth. But then again, as I've discovered, nib replacement can throw a spanner in the works and mislead, especially for a newish collector like me.

Just to contradict myself though, and being first and foremost a collector, I have a passion for rarity, and so lust after the biggies like Maxima and Seniors more than some of the smaller models. Picked up a mint Maxima the other day - with chalk marks showing the price of Sterling fifty shillings - from a U.K. charity shop, and in its box - gorgeous.

I hope we are still friends and that you will still talk to me even though my collection is so very small :notworthy1: :D

Now, best friends. Not only friends.

Khan M. Ilyas

Happy birthday, Khan.

You have the kind of friends that everyone should have.

I can now return your entreaty to "Enjoy your pens", though I don't think that there is much chance that you won't.

Have a great day.

Cheers,

David.

Thank you, David.

Khan M. Ilyas