Please Help Identify

baffleddreams

Hello everyone!!

I got this LAMY pen as a high school graduation gift from a very good friend. I used it a lot then and then left for college. It quite got forgotten in the hassle. I've found it now after 7 years. Is there a possibility that it would still work? How do I disassemble/ clean it? Is it possible to refill it?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• baffleddreams

• cattar

• ehemem

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which Lamy?

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I'm sorry if I came across a bit rude. I was getting frustrated that my pictures weren't getting uploaded. Any advice for me?

Which Lamy?

Yes, you can get it working again. first thing to do is see if the piston in the converter moves. If it does, get some water in a glass and fill the pen and flush it. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Keep doing this until what is coming out of the pen is lightly colored. Then, with fresh water, fill the pen again and let it sit in the water with the nib and the section submerged a while, like overnight. This should get you started...

Edited by ehemem

Piston might not move with dried ink. Won't matter til the ink is cleared
Pen is a Lamy Vista.
Take off the cap and barrel, so you're left with the nib/feed unit & the converter. Like the first photo.
Pull the converter (ink holder with the red knob) off the nib/feed unit (pointy end).
Fill a cup/bowl with cool water a bit of liquid dish soap. Place converter & nib/feed unit in the cup/bowl to soak. Change the water/soap mix twice a day until ink is cleared. Depending on how long ago the ink dried, this can take a couple weeks
You can speed this up by getting a baby ear bulb (from a drug store or online store) or an art syringe (from an art store or online pen dealer). Use one of these to flush the water/soap mix through the nib/feed unit and to flush out the converter.
When the ink is flushed. Rinse the nib/feed unit & converter with clear water. Fill with fresh ink, write.

Thank you very much! Both of you!!

Yes, you can get it working again. first thing to do is see if the piston in the converter moves. If it does, get some water in a glass and fill the pen and flush it. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Keep doing this until what is coming out of the pen is lightly colored. Then, with fresh water, fill the pen again and let it sit in the water with the nib and the section submerged a while, like overnight. This should get you started...

Piston might not move with dried ink. Won't matter til the ink is cleared

Pen is a Lamy Vista.

Take off the cap and barrel, so you're left with the nib/feed unit & the converter. Like the first photo.

Pull the converter (ink holder with the red knob) off the nib/feed unit (pointy end).

Fill a cup/bowl with cool water a bit of liquid dish soap. Place converter & nib/feed unit in the cup/bowl to soak. Change the water/soap mix twice a day until ink is cleared. Depending on how long ago the ink dried, this can take a couple weeks

You can speed this up by getting a baby ear bulb (from a drug store or online store) or an art syringe (from an art store or online pen dealer). Use one of these to flush the water/soap mix through the nib/feed unit and to flush out the converter.

When the ink is flushed. Rinse the nib/feed unit & converter with clear water. Fill with fresh ink, write.

I'd think the next day at latest. You need a rubber baby bulb....will need it anyway.

Dunk the section into the bathroom sink....let soak for 15 minutes. Fill baby bulb and squeeze the water through the section.....after five or six times should be clean.

Cleaning the converter.....well you need to your local pharmacist with your converter and get the widest needle*** and a 10-12cl syringe.....again a once in a life time buy. not only for cleaning out converters, but to refill Lamy cartridges. There are times when one has trouble with converters.

Could take your sharpening stone so the Pharmacist grinds away the sharp part....depending on where you live.

Could use a kitchen basting needle too.

Cartridges are very expensive and limited in ink colors. Many of us here, refill our ink cartridges with inks of our choice.

We live in the Golden Age of Ink......take advantage of it.

Do buy good to better paper every two to three inks you buy....then you won't fall behind the power curve.....one needs good paper for the ink to dance on. The better the paper the more the ink will Tango.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I've tried just submerging them in water. It seemed to do the trick. All the clogged ink has come off... I just have a small doubt. Two actually... Is it possible to remove the nib-part to clean?

Doubt 2: I have to use the rubber baby bulb to fill the piston-container with ink Everytime, correct? I should not dip the nib in the ink bottle and aspirate it out?

I'd think the next day at latest. You need a rubber baby bulb....will need it anyway.

Dunk the section into the bathroom sink....let soak for 15 minutes. Fill baby bulb and squeeze the water through the section.....after five or six times should be clean.

Cleaning the converter.....well you need to your local pharmacist with your converter and get the widest needle*** and a 10-12cl syringe.....again a once in a life time buy. not only for cleaning out converters, but to refill Lamy cartridges. There are times when one has trouble with converters.

Could take your sharpening stone so the Pharmacist grinds away the sharp part....depending on where you live.

Could use a kitchen basting needle too.

Cartridges are very expensive and limited in ink colors. Many of us here, refill our ink cartridges with inks of our choice.

We live in the Golden Age of Ink......take advantage of it.

Do buy good to better paper every two to three inks you buy....then you won't fall behind the power curve.....one needs good paper for the ink to dance on. The better the paper the more the ink will Tango.

And I'm guessing by "converter" you guys mean the nib-part after the piston container is removed? Sorry, a fountain-pen novice here.

Converter is the piston unit. It converts the pen from a cartridge filler to a piston filler.

To clean the nib/feed unit
Put the ear bulb on the back of the nib/feed unit at the same spot where the converter was connected. Squeeze the bulb to flush out the nib/feed unit.

Don't need to take the nib out.

To fill.
Dip the open end of the converter in the ink and turn the piston to fill, then attach to pen.
Or attach the converter to pen, then put the nib into the ink all the way up to the plastic of the pen, and then turn the piston to fill.

Or get an art syringe to fill cartridges/converters, less mess than the ear bulb.

eta. thoughts.

Edited by cattar

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I've tried just submerging them in water. It seemed to do the trick. All the clogged ink has come off... I just have a small doubt. Two actually... Is it possible to remove the nib-part to clean?

Doubt 2: I have to use the rubber baby bulb to fill the piston-container with ink Everytime, correct? I should not dip the nib in the ink bottle and aspirate it out?

The nib on this pen just slides off and onto the feed. Sometimes it helps if you use a wide rubber band to catch and hold the nib to get it off.

No, you don't have to use the baby bulb to fill anything with ink. Best to fill from the bottle with the converter, nib submerged in ink. You will have to wipe away the excess ink with a cloth rag or a tissue, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Thank you very much!! I've attached a picture of the cleaned parts of my pen. Can you please look at it and tell me if this would do?

Converter is the piston unit. It converts the pen from a cartridge filler to a piston filler.

To clean the nib/feed unit

Put the ear bulb on the back of the nib/feed unit at the same spot where the converter was connected. Squeeze the bulb to flush out the nib/feed unit.

Don't need to take the nib out.

To fill.

Dip the open end of the converter in the ink and turn the piston to fill, then attach to pen.

Or attach the converter to pen, then put the nib into the ink all the way up to the plastic of the pen, and then turn the piston to fill.

Or get an art syringe to fill cartridges/converters, less mess than the ear bulb.

eta. thoughts.

The nib on this pen just slides off and onto the feed. Sometimes it helps if you use a wide rubber band to catch and hold the nib to get it off.

No, you don't have to use the baby bulb to fill anything with ink. Best to fill from the bottle with the converter, nib submerged in ink. You will have to wipe away the excess ink with a cloth rag or a tissue, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

post-135508-0-88670600-1489805285_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me! Now all you have to do is fill it up with ink and try it out. Be sure to fit the converter correctly...

+1

fill that pen.

be sure to push the converter all the way onto the connector, otherwise the converter can leak.

Edited by cattar

Thank you very much for taking time out to help me. My pen is writing like a boss and I've fallen in love with it again. Thanks a lot everyone!!! :D

Looks good to me! Now all you have to do is fill it up with ink and try it out. Be sure to fit the converter correctly...

+1

fill that pen.

be sure to push the converter all the way onto the connector, otherwise the converter can leak.

Yes, thank you!! What would you consider a good quality paper? Printer A4 size sheets are what I use and notebooks come with different quality papers.