The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Montblanc 146 18C Two-Tone?

montblanc 146

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xxtt3

xxtt3

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 20:25

Hi all

This is a Montblanc 146 with 18c two tone nib. It is from my personal collection but I couldn't find any info about it.

I do appreciate if someone could provide some information like years, production background regarding to this pen. 

Thank for watching.

00DSC_8169.JPG

00DSC_8175.JPG

00DSC_8185.JPG

00DSC_8184.JPG

00DSC_8186.JPG

00DSC_8182.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 Limitlesspens

Limitlesspens

Pen Collector

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 20:31

Congrats on the pen :)

Your pen is a transitional model - quite rare now - you can read more about it in this links:

http://www.fountainp...t/#entry1927311

http://www.fountainp...sitional-model/

#3 xxtt3

xxtt3

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 20:42

Thanks for such fast reply and links. :)

In my opinion,the transitional model usually has a blue inkview window but this one is just like later model which is gray.

It is also strange it has a two tone nib with 18C which I never see. 

Congrats on the pen :)

Your pen is a transitional model - quite rare now - you can read more about it in this links:

http://www.fountainp...t/#entry1927311

http://www.fountainp...sitional-model/

#4 Limitlesspens

Limitlesspens

Pen Collector

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 21:28

It is possible, that this is later model or barrel was replaced during the pen life.

As for the nib -  from what I know the 18C nib were produced mainly on french market since the law regulations there says that gold can be 18c or higher. I see that the pen box has a booklet - with asian letter (don't know if it's chinese/japanese or other) it's possible that the same regulations were introduced to place where the pen came to your possesion.

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 22:14

That looks like the finest EF nib I have seen in a while  :o

#6 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,915 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 23:21

That is a nice EF.

I chase the nib...or try too. Oddly, I'd not kept track in my mind that the following two were two toned nibs. :rolleyes:.

Pens gotten later in one's collection; or selection might be a better word, don't stand out quite as much as earlier pens. I was forgetful when young too, so don't worry about it.

I have a 70s-80 model Large 146 that I judge a B (in there is no marking), , monotone gold 14 K  regular flex. ( :headsmack: I'd swore it narrower until I just tested against my KOB.) I don't know if MB was making wider nibs then than in the '50's. If so it could have been sold as an M.

The 'springy' modern 2000's nibs are wide.

And I finally lucked out getting a medium-large '50-60's 146 maxi-semi-flex, with a flatter, faster feed, which is two toned 14 K. OBB.

I just ran a test of it vs a monotone 14 K marked semi-flex 234 1/2 Deluxe (52-54 only) KOB. Nibs were 1/2 a width narrower back then. An OB could be mistaken for an modern M.

My rolled gold 742  (51-55) also has  two toned 14 K nib....matched vs the KOB I'd say an M....but with out that I'd call it an F. M-F??? (Between a semi-flex and a maxi.)

Comparing it to yours, I'm sliding more towards M..........I really don't worry much about exact width...in with slop/tolerance and different era's and other companies having the same problem with nibs in their standards ...one compares apples and pineapples. 

I prefer the balance of the older middle-large 146. That one I can grab and never have a second thought. The newer Large 146, I always need that minute  to get use to it being a Large pen.

I'm done hunting MB's.....a very slow hunt, but the three flex's of the '50's pens is what I was after....actually just a semi&maxi....but will take the middle too. (I have other semi&maxi's by other German companies. 2 of 7 Pelikans 1 of 5 Geha's, and 1 of three MB's.....I don't count Osmia/O-F-C, in they labeled their nibs, Diamond for semi-flex and Supra for maxi. So one knows what one is buying.

Counting the regular flex and a modern 'springy' fatter nib, I've got what MB offers nibwise. Well, I did test a Weak Kneed Wet Noodle '20's Safety pen....that went in a live auction for much more than I could think of.

In I refuse to practice...two wet noodles is enough (from other companies)...and '30's MB's are over my limit.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc 146

Sponsored Content

|