2017 March Tokyo Trip - Loot Post (Image Heavy!)

koofle

Wow! That looks like 21 bottles of ink. I not sure if I've ever bought that many bottles of ink all at once. I certainly have never bought that many bottles of ink at a pen show. I'd never be able to get them home via public transportation!

I can't see most of the colors of the inks. Can you list their names for us so we can drool on our keyboards a bit :puddle: ?

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• koofle

• AL01

• Ink Stained Wretch

• inkisdry

I also had the fortune of going to a Japanese pen meet. I picked up a 70's Sterling Silver Pilot, Winter Grove motif.
nib detail
http://i.imgur.com/HYojOwj.jpg
Is it just me or does the slit looks a bit misaligned, more to the right than dead centre?

I also had the fortune of going to a Japanese pen meet. I picked up a 70's Sterling Silver Pilot, Winter Grove motif.
nib detail
http://i.imgur.com/HYojOwj.jpg
Is it just me or does the slit looks a bit misaligned, more to the right than dead centre?

Looking at the image, I'm wondering if it may be a trick of the light. The right tine is lit up to the tip, but the left tine has a tiny bit of ink on the tip, darkening it. So it may just be that the tines are all right, just not reflecting the light equally.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Are those vintage Vanishing Points?? Are they as good as the new ones? (I am interested in the VP. Heard that the older ones were better.)

Nice! I have no interest in Pokemon but that Sailor red team looks nice, as well as the pilot in blue urushi. Any chance of a look at the sections and nibs?

When I have free time I'll definitely do one of my in depth features with written text, video and everything. That might be a while away though, I have to share all the trip videos first!

Wow! That looks like 21 bottles of ink. I not sure if I've ever bought that many bottles of ink all at once. I certainly have never bought that many bottles of ink at a pen show. I'd never be able to get them home via public transportation!

I can't see most of the colors of the inks. Can you list their names for us so we can drool on our keyboards a bit :puddle: ?

I'll slowly be reviewing all the inks as they come into rotation! Keep an eye out on my instagram for the most instantaneous stuff, I'll make a big post containing all the inks eventually when I'm done.

There's no misalignment and it writes great - though if I squint really hard under a loupe the gap might not have been cut exactly down the centre.

Are those vintage Vanishing Points?? Are they as good as the new ones? (I am interested in the VP. Heard that the older ones were better.)

I have some slightly older faceted vanishing points from the 90s, those are the faceted ones. They're okay. For actual vintage we'd have to go further back to the 60s when the earlier models came out, using the older dual-cart system. Either way, the modern vanishing points are constructed with greater durability in mind - the older ones from the 90s and before are a little more prone to cracks and other problems which are likely to come up after a decade or two of use.

Inquisitive Quill on Instagram and YouTube 

There's no misalignment and it writes great - though if I squint really hard under a loupe the gap might not have been cut exactly down the centre.

That is what I thought.

Looking at the image, I'm wondering if it may be a trick of the light. The right tine is lit up to the tip, but the left tine has a tiny bit of ink on the tip, darkening it. So it may just be that the tines are all right, just not reflecting the light equally.

Phew! My OCD wasn't happy.

Gotcha. I have heard some people claiming that the faceted models are 100000000x better than the new ones.

The faceted models from the '90s are lighter and thinner, because the barrels are made of plastic, while the modern VPs are heavier with a brass tube inside the barrel. The clip is also shallower than those on the modern VPs, which makes it a little easier to handle.

The Decimo is the best approximation of the faceted models, because the Decimo is thinner and has a lighter aluminum tube inside the barrel, but it's much sturdier than the '90s pens and not prone to cracking.

Scientia potentia est.

Ok. Sooner or later I should visit my local pen shop to check some pens out. I will check out the decimos.