Pilot Vanishing Point

dave_132

I've not tried the stainless steel but from everyone who has tried them both there isn't any difference. The gold slightly wetter perhaps.

I find the Capless/VP a very wet writer. It doesn't really need the restractable mechanism because it stays wet for a long time even if you forget to retract the nib.

The click mechanism is loud so that needs to be considered for meetings. If you really want to get something that's a little different, you may be better off with a Pilot Fermo although there is a big difference in price.

For all intents and purposes there is no difference between the Decimo and larger one. Just different size and metals.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dave_132

• Bluey

• Arkanabar

• LizEF

Stichpunk- yeah I'm thinking the alloy vp is the way to go to start with to see if I like the pen/style/function then going to decimo if I feel the lighter/smaller diameter would suit. From reading gebetal reviews about pilot nibs, both gold and steel they seem to have a pretty good rep. I don't really need much line variation or flexibility in the nib at this point so long as it is relatively smooth it will be fine

Liz - thanks for checking and advising

Arkamas - yeah it looks that way. I think I'm headed for the alloy f nib at the moment unless something really well priced turns up in n the gold nib vp or decimo. If you don't mind keeping an eye out and letting me know if you see anything it would be much appreciated.

Linear- I think I will adjust to it and as you say might help to keep the pen positioned correctly.

Ehemem - it was worth mentioning as hadn't even thought to check. I think I'd prefer the larger diameter of the vp anyway so unless there is a spectacularly good price on a decimo Im heading towards the alloy vp at the moment.

If you do a search on the classifieds here on FPN for Pilot VP there seems to be two. I don't know if you would consider a used VP but that is how I purchased mine. I have never had a bad experience buying here on FPN.

Thanks linear, I had a look. There was a Matt black but that seems to be sold. The others are limited eds I think and/or a bit above my price range. Thanks again for the heads up though and if see anything please let me know

I'm late to this conversation but want to add some thoughts. I'm assuming you're not in a situation where you can try a VP out at a shop? That would of course be ideal so you could try the nibs and experience the clip position yourself.

I have 3 VPs in F, M, and B. I'm a busy attorney and the VPs are great for the daily rapid jotting of various tasks rather than long writing sessions (though I'm comfortable with my VPs and use the M &B for that also sometimes). I reccomend you get a medium nib. Unless you know you have a very light touch, I think you may find the F nib a bit scratchy. I think my F nib is so and use it only for times when I really need to get a lot of notes onto one page. I mostly use the M nib. My sister, a college art teacher who I know has a light hand, bought a VP F at my recommendation and found it scratchy and was not happy with hers. F nibs tend to be scratchy-feeling, at least to many users, because they are so fine; it comes with the experience because less ink is being applied as the nib glides on the paper. Users' experience varies of course.

All things being equal, and assuming the paper you are writing on is the rather standard office paper, I think a medium nib will give you a better experience. If you find the line is too wide with the medium, you can always try some subtle adjustment by using a "drier" ink such as Pelikan or even an iron-gall such as R & K Salix.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Bear in mind that for most Japanese nibs, Japan M = Western F, and Japan F = Western XF. Had I to buy my Platinum Plaisirs again, I'd have gotten them in M (0.5mm) rather than F (0.3mm).

And actually, I do. I lost the one's section, and the other got dropped on its point. When I've got the money to spare for a couple of medium black Preppies, I'll get them, and be set.

Thank you for the advice. I definitely will be looking at trying to get an m though if an f or b comes up at the right price I think I'd be inclined to grab it.

At this point I am still trying to find a vp or decimo, either alloy or gold nib, at what I feel is a good price with shipping. Unfortunately shipping to Australia can make things difficult/more expensive. I have been watching some on eBay and am a little suspicious of some of the bidding going on with the main sellers and the repetition of some bidders on all of vp's listed appearing to inflate the bid however perhaps I am being too cynical. Anyway I am remaining patient and sticking to my budget. Thanks again for the informative replies

Edited by dave_132

Thank you for the advice. I definitely will be looking at trying to get an m though if an f or b comes up at the right price I think I'd be inclined to grab it.

At this point I am still trying to find a vp or decimo, either alloy or gold nib, at what I feel is a good price with shipping. Unfortunately shipping to Australia can make things difficult/more expensive. I have been watching some on eBay and am a little suspicious of some of the bidding going on with the main sellers and the repetition of some bidders on all of vp's listed appearing to inflate the bid however perhaps I am being too cynical. Anyway I am remaining patient and sticking to my budget. Thanks again for the informative replies

There's plenty of them if you look on ebay Australia

After putting in pilot capless fountain these are just a few random ones on 'buy it now' that are well below your budget. There's a VP/Decimo available in every colour available. Not sure what the problem is.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pilot-fountain-pen-capless-FCN1MRDRF-Fine-nib-Deep-Red-JP-Japan-Import-/291716573796?hash=item43eba9aa64:g:tJ0AAOSwzvlW8eID

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PILOT-fountain-pen-capless-dark-blue-fine-print-F-FCN-1MR-DLF-from-Japan-/162441513842?hash=item25d244cb72:g:orQAAOSwB09YJwYo

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PILOT-NAMIKI-CAPLESS-PLUME-RETRACTABLE-VANISHING-POINT-STYLO-PLUME-FOUNTAIN-PEN-/262861884651?hash=item3d33ca0ceb:g:dDoAAOSwxCxT3E1F

the cheaper ones are stainless steel.

Edited by Bluey

Thanks mate, I've been using the mobile app and these haven't pooped up, not sure why (I've probably changed the search settings somehow) but I will have a look at the links/main eBay site this afternoon. Thanks again

I like my VP. One thing I wish was different was being able to see the ink level in the small converter. I can never tell if it filled properly or if its empty. Also the converter does not hold a lot. Many people just refill the cartridges.

Dave, I came late to the VP and later the Decimo. I thought them more a gimmick than serious pen.

Since receiving mine, I've realized just how wrong i was. Both pens are fantastic! These days, i dont' go anywhere without one in my pocket.

Both are metal with some sort of lacquer coating. The VP is definately heavier and thicker than the Decimo. They both hold the same amount of ink since they use a common interchangeable nib and ink reserve system. I have medium gold points on both, and am always surprised at just how far these things write without running out of ink.

The medium point is more of a wet medium-fine. Both write very smoothly. I have Sailor Kobe ink in mine. It dries fast and lubricates well.

Of the two pens I have to admit that i prefer the Decimo in my pocket to the VP. Now i really don't understaand it myself. I prefer a larger pen. But. With these, it's not just the width of the section. Its the width of the section along with the clip, which is bigger on the VP. I find the fatter VP and clip is just too much of a handful for my fingers to negotiate around. I rotate both pens, and write with both. But. I love the Decimo, and it is always the pen that I choose to carry with me. I never tire of writing with it. And often feel quilty for ignoring my better, more expensive traditional pens....lol

The Decimo is fun, a conversation starter, a workhorse, a light weight in my pocket.

So good luck lad. Whichever you choose I'm sure you will be pleased with you're pen.

Be sure to come back and show us some pics.

Thanks Driften and old salt. Hopefully I'll have a vp in m in my hands in a few weeks. Will post my thoughts and pics when it gets here. Cheers

I like my VP. One thing I wish was different was being able to see the ink level in the small converter. I can never tell if it filled properly or if its empty. Also the converter does not hold a lot. Many people just refill the cartridges.

Yep, Pilot carts are easily refilled. You pull out the little sealing disk, and you can refill it with any eyedropper, particularly a disposable bulb pipette.