Pilot Vanishing Point

dave_132

Hello,

Thinking of grabbing one of the stainless steel/special alloy VPs. I'd love a gold nib but need to keep $ as close to 100-130 Aud (ship inc) as possible. Mainly for medical notes/chart entries and my own notes in meetings/at home.

Current rotation:

- diplomat excellence b (s/s f nib) - good weight, nice smooth line

- Parker sonnet (18k m nib) - very smooth but just a tad thick/wet for med notes (likely more my handwriting)

- Lamy safari (f) - find grip gets uncomfortable quickly

- Old Parker 19 - does the job but bit scratchy and can leak if I'm not careful

- Sheaffer 444 (f) - main workhorse at the moment.

Have used noodlers heart of darkness and monte verde inks in all of them but have found Parker Quink is the best ink for work so will likely stick with that until I do a bit more research for something better.

Basically looking to get something a little different/unique but still a good functional writer. VP (and decimo) looks like an interesting pen and looks like it will fit functionality wise. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the VP with the special alloy f nib and can let me know:

1. what you thought/think of it

2. if you think it will meet my needs

3. how it would compare to what I already have and

4. is there something else worth considering.

Apologises for the long post and any advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dave_132

• Bluey

• Arkanabar

• LizEF

My question for people asking for pen advice is always, "What do you like, and why do you like it?" Have you figured out your preferences for weight, girth, length, section form factor and material, finish, etc? How long will your writing sessions be with this pen, and will that affect any of these preferences? Charting is likely to be quick jotting, but I have no idea how long your meetings are, or how much you'll be writing in them.

Have you nailed down why the Safari gets uncomfortable? IMO, it has two strikes against it -- the grip facets and the rather narrow section. The VPs use their clips in much the same way as the Safari uses its facets. Neither the VP nor the Decimo is as narrow.

You describe your Diplomat as having a nice weight. As far as I can tell, it's a brass pen, and my totally wild guess is that it weighs 30g+. I like my pens under 20g, and from my vague, 20yr old memories of briefly using a matte black "stealth" VP (before I knew I like my pens light), it wasn't to my taste. I couldn't tell you, at this late date, if my dislike was based on its shape or its weight (30g, per The Goulet Pen Co, of which I am a happy customer). I don't think I ever got used to the retractable mechanism, either. Someday when I'm flush with cash, I may decide I want to try a Decimo, which is right at 21g.

Never heard of the special alloy version, but, my biggest recommendations are:

1) Compare the weight to your existing pens (either uncapped, or capped if you use them posted), to be sure the weight won't bother you.

2) Look at how you hold any and all pens (or those with a similar grip diameter). Is there a gap between your thumb and index finger, and is that gap at the top of the pen, opposite from the paper (as opposed to rotated to one side or the other)? If so, the clip won't likely bother you.

Weight and clip seem to be the biggest issues with whether someone will enjoy a VP. I have one and love it. Mine also has a fine nib, and I consider it perfect for notes - but I'm an EF person :). Its line width is equivalent to other Pilot fine nibs - so it will be like an extra fine on your other pens (it's finer than my Lamy Al-Star EF).

Thank you both for your replies, great points and things for me to think about. I will pay more attention to the weights/lengths over the next few days and will indeed weigh my pens.

Charting will be the main activity, meetings are generally talking or professional development so generally just note taking here and there. I tend to write long chart entries though.

Arkanabar, now that you mention it I think you are spot on with the Lamy, the facets in combination with being narrow i think is why I find it a little uncomfortable. My Parker 19 is probably as narrow if not more but I suspect I tend not notice as the facets aren't there.

Liz, I believe the alloy is essentially a stainless steel and on a Japanese only model which are cheaper then the gold nib models. I'll definitely pay more attention to my grip. I did a quick coupe of sentences then and think I do have my thumb and index finder touching but will wait to see what I'm doing when actually doing notes tomorrow. Assumably thumb/index touching would indicate the clip position may turn out to be annoying or at least an adjustment?

Thanks again, both replies have great common sense suggestions and I appreciate the advice.

Cheers

My first Vanishing Point, which I still have, was ordered from Japan with one of those alloy nibs in medium. Later, I got a Capless Decimo, which is a thinner, lighter version of the Vanishing Point, with an 18k gold medium nib. Although I haven't done much of a side by side comparison, I'd say that the writing experience is pretty much the same with either nib. I actually have a second Decimo with a fine 18k nib, and prefer that, but would be happy enough with any of the three nibs. And the nib units can be switched between pens.

On the other hand, I do find that the Decimo is more comfortable for me to hold than the chubbier Vanishing Point. Holding a pen with the clip on the "wrong" end is difficult for some people. I can write with the Decimo for as long as any other pen, but am less inclined to do that with the VP. On the other other hand, some people find the VP perfectly comfortable. This sort of preference is an individual thing.

A retractable fountain pen can be very convenient for multiple quick jottings. Since it's relatively expensive, you might want to watch that you don't click it excessively or with too much force. That's what Pilot suggests, and it makes sense to me. Not that it isn't durable, but I wouldn't click it rapidly back and forth while you're thinking, the way you might with a cheap ballpoint.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Assumably thumb/index touching would indicate the clip position may turn out to be annoying or at least an adjustment?

Yes, I think your default finger positions on a round grip section will give you an idea of how risky the VP will be. If, like me, you've already got a gap between them, then the clip will fit in there and be a non-issue. If you've got large fingers and they're always touching anyway, it may or may not be an issue (e.g. it's either in the way, or your fingers cover it with no annoyance, or it fits in the natural wedge between those fingers, or whatever). If you have a non-tripod grip so that a finger or thumb rests where the clip would be, or across it, then it will probably be highly annoying.

As ISW_Kaputnik said, it's a matter of personal taste, so it could bother you either way, but considering the above factors will help you determine how risky it is. You could try to find a pen with a thin clip and a similar-diameter on its cap as the VP grip, and try holding it as if writing, and see what you think...

I've only used the gold nib version, but comfort wise I find the pen handles very well with my grip, and like the solid feel and weight for note taking. The click-button is perfect for meetings where I need to make intermittent notes, but I don't find extended writing uncomfortable. I find it a very efficient tool, but I use it as a tool, and soon realised I wanted something with more character for personal correspondance. It writes smoothly, and reliably with no scratchiness, but if you want a pen that will give your handwriting character with easy line variation it's not the right pen. You have to push the nib beyond my comfort zone to get anything more than minimal line variation. I find it an extremely efficient tool that's very pleasant to write with, but not a real pleasure. I don't regret buying one at all but it's a nice reliable tool rather than a joyful experience for me.

I've used more VP than I can actually remember. All Pilot nibs are excellent, the alloy ones a little less flexible and can get a little more scratchy at times. But it's not an unbearable thing. The Decimo is a lighter pen, if you're having long writing sessions. Consider seriously that the ink capacity is small and that you'll have to carry an extra cartridge just in case.

So, if you are going to be using this pen in a hospital ward setting or clinic setting, go for the VP/Capless, not the Decimo. The VP is coated with some sort of lacquer that can be wiped down with alcohol wipes without damage. And get a fine point or an extra fine point to last you through a work day. I speak from experience...

A couple of years ago I had a consult with a neurologist and was surprised when she whipped out a VP and started taking notes. I made a comment about her pen, and told her about some of my collection. Made a difference in mood for the rest of the appointment...

Thanks for the further replies and apologies for the late response, busy day.

isw-kaputnik and Liz - thank you for your comments. I am thinking that the clip may not worry me too much. My fingers do touch but I think if the clip is there my fingers will either cover it or press up against it which I don't think I would mind so much/would adjust to it.

manofkent - thanks for your input and I understand what you are saying. This will pretty much be a tool and to be honest I just try to keep my handwriting legible, I enjoy writing with an FP cause I like the feel, not so much for the character of my handwriting but it is s good point that you raise.

susaz- thanks for letting me know your experience. At the moment it seems the best prices are on special alloy vp and decimo with gold nib so trying to decide between the two in an f nib which leads me to the next comment:

ehemem - I didn't realise there was that much of a difference between the vp external/barrel materials and the decimo. Is the decimo not as robust as the vp?

QUOTE:

ehemem - I didn't realise there was that much of a difference between the vp external/barrel materials and the decimo. Is the decimo not as robust as the vp?

REPLY:

I think that the Decimo has an uncoated plastic body. I do not own a Decimo because I like the weight and girth of the VP better. The current VP is a brass body with a coating. Oh, and don't buy the stealth/matt black version: the finish does not hold up well.

Edited by ehemem

A search on Amazon for Pilot Capless will get you what you're looking for in a VP around $77. Blue, yellow, silver, red and black. I've really enjoyed my VP, though I snagged a gold one around the same price. The wait from Japan can be slow but it's worth it for the price.

Edited by Arkamas
...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

Arkamas- thank you for the link. I've searched for a gold nib but the cheapest I can find is about $107 usd without shipping (con 40 inc). Do you have suggestions where I might find one cheaper/closer to the price you paid? I'm in no real rush. Unfortunately shipping to Australia seems to be variable as well.

Ehemem - thanks for clarifying however from what I read the decimo is metal as well. If anyone owns/has owned a decimo or has had both a decimo and VP and can compare can you please let me know if the body is a plastic or metal and if/how the material differs to the VP (other than in weight/width/length)?

Cheers

I have a Decimo with a fine gold nib that I got from a Japanese seller via Amazon. I paid US$112 (but also forked out for expedited shipping to NZ.) The Decimo has a slightly glittery finish (mica they call it) - it doesn't feel like plastic to me but I can't be certain.

I absolutely LOVE mine. I find the grip very comfortable and the clip placement stops me from fidgeting and rotating it too much in my hand. The gold nib has a little feedback and a little flex, and the fine is considerably finer than, for example, a Safari fine.

The one thing I would note is that it feels nicer with some inks than others. I got a bunch of Robert Oster ink samples to use with it but am finding that particular ink brand a little too dry for such a fine nib. It feels nicer with a wetter ink like Diamine, and I have some de Atramentis samples coming which I'm told is a wetter ink as well.

I'm finding mine SUPEREMELY practical, so much so that I'm reaching for it in situations where I would normally default to a ballpoint. The nib feels very protected and the pen itself feels sturdy. You might also want to consider what you clip your pens on to, as the clip is not spring loaded... you'll get a gap of only a couple of mm when you flex it, enough for a shirt pocket but possibly not for a clipboard.

Thanks stichpunk, that's great to hear about the decimo. I tend to clip my pens to my shirt in between buttons if no pocket to put it in so sounds like it will work, dont clip to anything else. By the sound of it a fine nib will go well. Ehemem made a good point re wiping the pen down after seeing patients however if the decimo is a metal finish (or lacquered) like the VP that would inspire confidence that it will handle that.

I suppose if I can find a gold nib vp that I like the look of within my price range I'd be inclined to get it but if not I will seriously be considering the alloy vp v a gold nib decimo

The prices are certainly very tempting on the alloy nib ones! I'm considering getting one myself so I can see whether I like the weight/width of the VP compared to the Decimo.

Arkamas- thank you for the link. I've searched for a gold nib but the cheapest I can find is about $107 usd without shipping (con 40 inc). Do you have suggestions where I might find one cheaper/closer to the price you paid? I'm in no real rush. Unfortunately shipping to Australia seems to be variable as well.

I only managed to get lucky when I got mine for so low. Unfortunately it looks like it has gone all the way back up to $126, and judging from the patterns on price tracker it doesn't look like it will get back down any time soon. It seems like the special alloy would be your best bet, but I can keep an eye out for a gold nibbed one.

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

I bought my Pilot VP used here on FPN. I've heard of people who have trouble with the hand /clip placement but I haven't had any problem. I love the pen for meetings...no cap to fumble with or drop and a quick click of the clicker during a lul in note taking and you don't have to worry about the pen drying out. I have a fine standard nib that is smooth and it sips ink so a little bit goes a long way. It is one of my favorite pens.

Actually the clip arrangement helps to keep the nib orientation correct. The nib doesn't like to write upside down.

Edited by linearM