Looking For Suggestions On What To Do With A Too-Wet M1000 Medium Nib.

glorfindel

Hi,

I recently got a new M1000 in medium. Judging by a lot of posts I knew that it could end up being too wide/ too wet/ baby bottomed and even scratchy.

Thankfully, only one of the above mentioned common problems came with the pen: the nib is too wet.

However, it is *really* too wet. To the point of being unusable.

I'm looking for recommendations/success stories for what can be done to the nib.

Should it be adjusted to reduce the flow? Should it be re-ground? (and to what? to fine? to cursive italic?)

Thank you.

P.S. I know that some dry inks, in particular Pelikan's own might help. Still, I'd like to be able to use it with a wide range of inks....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• PAKMAN

• glorfindel

• minddance

I'm taking my M1000 medium to the Arkansas Pen Show this weekend to have a nib grinder make it finer and slow down the ink flow. I'll let you know how it goes.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

What inks are you using. A long time ago...7 years....Waterman was considered a wet ink.

Now users of Noodlers consider it a dry ink....so that goes to show you, how wet Noodlers inks are.

What paper are you using....Ink Jet paper makes for a wide line, and causes feathering. Get a dry paper Clairefontaine Triumph (a slick paper) or Rhoda.

A lighter Hand will help. It is a semi-flex and many folks are ham fisted, so there fore will write lots wider than the nail/semi-nail I 'assume' you are more use too.

What is your other main pens????????

I was ham fisted when I got my first semi-flex a 140 OB....the OB from back then is 1/2 a width narrower than modern. OB of then is a writing nib, not a signature nib. Sort of like a modern M.

I don't know for sure but .... I only tried the 1000 in my B&M...finding it semi-flex....have 26, and it way too large for me. So I never even thought about buying one....in I had a hand full of semi-flex in Standard and a medium-large 400nn.

It took me three months with my 140 to go from ham fisted....always putting too much pressure on the nib....making it write wider....therefore wetter. After three months I was only slightly ham fisted....just in time to get a maxi-semi-flex Pelikan 400NN....so again I was using a bit too much pressure. Again it took natural time to get a lighter Hand.

You could try resting the pen in the pit of your thumb...that would take weight off the nib.

First thing after getting some Pelikan 4001 ink...not the Royal Blue; it fades....get Lamy Royal Blue instead....MB Royal Blue would be a medium ink.

The 4001 brown is a tad red, the green shades well, as does the violet or turquoise....assuming using 90g paper or 80g Rhoda. You have to order/smuggle 4001 blue black from Germany in the American rats drowned. The Norway rat had no problems, so BB is legal in Europe. I really don't think US customs is much up on a bottle of brand name ink...

Hold the pen like you are holding a featherless baby bird.

And Stop making baby bird paste :angry: ....as you are doing.

If it is 'too wet' press the shoulders of the nib together.

4-5 X for 3-4 seconds. That might help.

You could of course return the pen to Chartpack and ask them to give you a dryer nib. That could be cheapest if they do that. There should be someone there who can press the sides of the nib tighter.

Could be if you are not use to semi-flex you could have slightly sprung your nib. It is 18K and don't spring back as good as 14 K semi-flex.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The M1000 is a very wet writer, perhaps more so than many of Pelikan's other offerings. A nib meister adjusting flow would probably be your best bet. Before you go that route though, have you tried any drier inks to tame the flow? What ink/paper combos have you used?

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I have tried Edelstein Sapphire which was actually pretty manageable. The other ink I tried was Akkerman #23 Bekakt Haags, and it was putting out way more ink than I expected. So, I tried another Edelstein - Aquamarine this time, and it was still too wet.

I use it on Tomoe River and Rhodia Dotpad.

As far as getting used to the semi-flex (btw, I'm not sure it could really be called semi-flex... whatever, you say tomAHto, I say tomAYto) I do have a few flexies in my rotation (Custom Heritage 912fa which I consider a semi-flex and a Waterman Ideal 52 full flex).

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is an easy solution, a very dry ink that regulates flow even in a M1000. A more permanent solution would be to use the services of a nibmeister. However the M1000 is a very particular pen which a huge flexible nib, I would say this pen works best with drier inks.

+1 Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black

You should consider other colors in the Pelikan 4001 series. I have used both Black and Blue successfully with wet writers. I haven't used Brown, but Sandy1 describes it as:

• Dry.

• Bone dry.
• Dusty.
• In comparison, i-g inks seem like The Flood.

R&K Salix or Scabiosa are also good alternatives.

Edited by carlos.q

Having 26 semi-flex pens, still rate it as semi-flex.

If you have a maxi-semi-flex or two...I could see you not thinking it semi-flex....If you thought the maxi is semi-flex.

I have 13 of the maxi-semi-flex nibbed pens....half of them Osmia/O-F-C pens, the Supra nib.Osmia nibs with the Diamond are semi-flex.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I once read somewhere on here that adding some distilled water to an ink will make it 'write drier'.

IMO it is certainly worth experimenting with water-dilution of one's inks before paying to make physical changes to the pen's nib/feed which, once performed, can never be undone.

If dilution experiments fail, rather than altering the pen I would 'restrict' myself to using the M1000 with inks that are reputed to be 'drier' - e.g. Pelikan's 4001 & Edelstein inks (which were developed with Pelikan's piston-fill pens in mind), or iron-galls.

Souverän pens are easy enough to clean that iron-galls need not be feared.

And KWZI offer iron-gall inks in a wide range of colours.

Some inks were developed to be very 'wet', especially if they were made by companies that sell pens that write 'dry'. Pelikan make pens that write 'wet', so their inks write 'dry' (& vice versa).

IMO one should find inks that work well with the pen.

E.g. I love iron-gall inks, and I also love my Parker "51".

I found that when I put R&K Scabiosa in my "51", the writing experience felt too dry for my tastes. As Scabiosa is the only ink with which I have had that experience, I no longer use it in that pen.

I love Scabiosa, but not enough to bugger-up my "51" just for that ink.

I think that nowadays we are fortunate enough to have a large enough range of inks commercially available that trying to 're-engineer' a nib/feed as expensive as that on an M1000 is not only undesirable, but un-necessary.

This, of course, is only my opinion - if the OP has an enduring total love for one particular ink that writes 'wet', and wishes to use the M1000 with only that ink, then the OP may well feel that paying for physical alterations to the pen might be worth considering.

(Full disclosure: anyone weighing my opinions needs to bear in mind that I do not have much disposable income; and also that I am, in any case, sufficiently miserly that an employee of the Ministry of Stereotypes might assume me to be a Yorkshireman named 'Shlomo McTavish'....

As such, dear Reader, YMMV.)

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Well I had the nib ground to a fine but it is still quit a bit too wet for me. Will try some dryer inks in it next.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

I don't know about the international support Pelikan provides, but at least here, it is rather excellent. Have you tried contacting them, or the distributor in your country?

Try a dry ink like regular line Pelikan or Montblanc. That worked for me on my M1000 (medium).

...So much ink, so little penmanship....

Or, do what I did: get rid of the M1000 and get an M800.

PROBLEM SOLVED. heh.

Good luck. I had 2. Couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

One was sent back to Pelikan and came back writing well but I still didn't enjoy the pen. (love the 600, the 800 though).

You might try Pelikan. It could even be free if that is a new pen. Mine went to all the way Germany and back but was worth the wait. They lubed the piston too.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

True 800's write a much better line, the "softness" of the M-1000 nib causes them to be much wetter.

PAKMAN

Last year I picked up an M1005 that had a medium nib. Even though I already had an M1000 with a medium nib that is too broad for my everyday use, I wanted the M1005 and decided that I would change the nib later. Last month, at the LA Pen Show, I was able to get in to see Mike Masuyama who ground it down to a wet extra fine. It's now fantastic. Fine enough for everyday use, even on cheap paper, still very smooth when I use a light hand, wet enough to get some ink down on the paper (I like wetter nibs when they're finer), and has enough springiness to be fun when I want it to be. It's exactly what I wanted for this pen.

Think about what you want to use the pen for and consider bringing it or sending it to a nibmeister to be ground to just what you want. If you can be very descriptive about how you hold your pen and write and how you want the nib to perform, many nibmeisters can turn your nib into something you'll love.

I asked John Sorowka (UK based) to grind an M1000 M nib into a left oblique and he did a marvellous job; It worked out really well!

It is reminiscent of the 50s Pelikan OM nibs, very soft and with a generous flow. One of my favourite nibs!

Regards,

Rob

(No affiliations etc, just a very satisfied return "oblique" customer)

rowingbiker

Paterswolde, The Netherlands

I wouldn't describe the line on my m1000 nib as too wet -- its certainly wet but not over the top. However, the feed fills with way too much ink. A gentle shake and it could drop ink all over, depending on the ink it was loaded up with. After years of using it I'm convinced the problem isn't with the nibs themselves, its with the feeds. I think the m1000 feeds need to be refined so that they are a little drier.

The M1000 has a beautiful, gold nib. Mine writes very nicely. It is worth saving, if possible. Write larger and with reduced writing pressure. If this has the desired effect, good. If not, then have the pen modified.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 2 weeks later...

I would say get rid of it. And the easiest way to do so is send it my way. I would do the rest of the job for you. Lol.

I love wet nibs. The wetter the better for me.

Khan M. Ilyas