Sheaffer Tm Thin Model Autograph With Music Nib C1950-1951

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

This is a re-visit of a Sheaffer TM Thin Model Autograph with Music Nib c1950-1951 I did a write up on in 2010. It came to be from a beat up black Sheaffer Valiant pen with a music nib I discovered in a box 'o pens at an antique store in Maine that I swapped an Autograph cap from a broken pen onto to create one decent overall pen from two beaters.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferTMAutographMusic_1280_05.jpg
The Sheaffer TM or Thin Model was introduced in 1950, replacing the fatter Touchdown line and foreshadowed the size and look of the upcoming Snorkel line in 1952. These are reliable Touchdown filling pens with ink-view windows in the ribbed section. The Autograph model was a special version of the Valiant with a 14 karat gold hallmarked clip and a wide 14 karat gold hallmarked cap band intended for the owner's signature. Sheaffer included a card with the pen where the owner could sign their name, return the card and the pen, and the pen would return with the owner's signature copied onto the cap band. What makes this pen special is the music nib, a special two slit nib type designed to write on music notation paper with a very wide and wet writing stub-like tip. These nibs were hand cut at the factory at an additional cost, and are a rare find. Sheaffer offered sixteen different nib grades on the TM. The Autograph was pricey at $20.00 and the matching pencil was $15.00.
Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Happy Harry

• ink-syringe

Top Posters In This Topic

My kingdom for that nib.

HOT

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

A rare nib as mentioned. The other point of interest is the serial number. While uncommon serial numbered nibs are found in the TM TD line and are rare in their own right.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files