Help Me Remove Montblanc 146 Feed From Its Tube

RoSpectre

So the hard part is done, the feed tube is out of the body, but I can't get the feed and nib out of the tube. The tube's collar is broke and I want to get the nib and feed into a donor body that's just waiting! Even the piston assembly comes out easy with my homemade paper clip precious wrench. I just can't for the life of me get the feed or nib out of the tube. Suggestions? Heat? Ammonia bath? Tap it out from the back? Problem item below:

post-134013-0-27779900-1489450312_thumb.jpg

post-134013-0-45509200-1489450329_thumb.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RoSpectre

• CS388

• Erik Dalton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have to knock it out.

I haven't got a block, so I use a piece of pipe (or tall socket)and a washer (eg). You need something with a hole slightly smaller than the collar, but with sufficient room that the nib and feed won't touch the sides - and sufficient drop in case the nib/feed come flying out (rare).

It doesn't take enorous power, a couple of short taps with a hammer and drift usually gets it going, then they can usually be pulled with finger and thumb.

Good luck

Excellent... Thanks! Didn't want to resort to cutting the thing off, but I'm fortunate that I don't have to worry about damaging the tube anyway.

Yeah. The case is already scrap, anyway. I've had to replace a few of these, for the same reason.

I meant to say 'sharp taps', not short (above).

And be careful if applying pressure while pulling or refitting, the fins can be easily damaged.

Good luck

Success! Had to tape wrap the feeder tube to increase its diameter so that it could rest on my metal washer. Set the washer on a plastic tube/pipe to hold it, and tapped away. I used an empty Zebra ballpoint refill tube as my punch, as it is the perfect diameter and has a plastic plug on the end so it wouldn't damage the feed.

Thanks again for the guidance.

• 1 month later...

Good job. The donor collar you spoke of. Is it a Montblanc or have you found other nub units that will fit. I haven't found any yet. If you have I'd love to know. You

What are you going to use for sealant to assemble the two part body?

I have been successful using thick silicone grease on the nib unit instead of sealant. Never an issue and the nib units come out when you want.