Pentel Quicker-Clicker!

Warnerbaw

Hello!

While I love fountain pens, I am also very fond of mechanical pencils. Pentel Quicker-Clickers have always been a favorite of mine, both because my Grandfather used them as well as the fact that I like the design and feel of the pencil. So imagine my glee when I found these beauties on Ebay.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah107/Warnerbaw/EE96126D-01C6-44BA-8CD8-C3F051DB7C70_zpspjnaww2j.jpg

As well as being new-old stock, and red (quite unique!), they are 0.9 mm lead, which I also like! They also arrived a day early (always nice). I must say I am very happy with my purchase!

Thanks,

Warnerbaw

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.

-Albert Einstein

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Warnerbaw

• Mike 59

• flatline

• mike.jane

Very nice find. I can def. see why you like the design. Very clean looking, yet also 'fun'. What is there on the pencil body on the backside (in photo) about 2" from the tip? (It's dark on the photo) Are those just retail stickers maybe?

0.9 is fine lead size. Really I'd like everything other than everyman's mundane, pointy boring 0.5 really.

I used to use the brown/smoke 0.5mm version with rubber grip in high school. They're my dad's favorite pen. Love these intense red ones. Hope you enjoy them. Might have to pick up a couple for old time's sake.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Hi, I have never seen these pencils, but I'll assume that the dark mark on the side is the lead advance button.

So the the cover at the top is to keep the eraser clean and isn't the lead advance button/clicker.

(Possibly also known as 'side knock', as used in the PaperMate clearview pencil.)

Edited by Mike 59

Very nice find. I can def. see why you like the design. Very clean looking, yet also 'fun'. What is there on the pencil body on the backside (in photo) about 2" from the tip? (It's dark on the photo) Are those just retail stickers maybe?

0.9 is fine lead size. Really I'd like everything other than everyman's mundane, pointy boring 0.5 really.

It's the button you use to advance the lead, it was designed like this so you could quickly push the button and not have to push the back end :)

Edited by Warnerbaw

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.

-Albert Einstein

http://autopointinc.com/autopoint/pencils/jumbo-all-american-pencil.html

These come in 0.9 and 1.1mm. I really like Autopoint and Vintage Scriptos.

Those are cool! They look similar to the quicker-clicker.

-Albert Einstein

I used to use the brown/smoke 0.5mm version with rubber grip in high school. They're my dad's favorite pen. Love these intense red ones. Hope you enjoy them. Might have to pick up a couple for old time's sake.

Thank you! I've used the ones with the rubber grip before but I prefer these greatly. It's a shame they stopped production.

-Albert Einstein

Hi, I have never seen these pencils, but I'll assume that the dark mark on the side is the lead advance button.

So the the cover at the top is to keep the eraser clean and isn't the lead advance button/clicker.

(Possibly also known as 'side knock', as used in the PaperMate clearview pencil.)

You are correct.

-Albert Einstein

0.7 seems like the default size around here. I do occasionally find someone using 0.5 or 0.9, but it's pretty rare.

--flatline

Really?

I know that I live in a country where people gravitate to finer tips on their pens than in western countries, but I never knew this applied to pencil leads, too. I always thought everyone everywhere uses 0,5 as the gold standard.

Of course, once you consider it, it makes sense.

It's better now than when I was growing up, but even now I'd estimate that at least 2/3rds of the mechanical pencils in the pencil isle of an office supply store are going to be 0.7. The rest will be 0.5 and, starting a few years ago, maybe a small number of 0.9.

I've always hated 0.7 and so I remember getting so excited the first time I noticed a 0.5 pencil in the store (1985ish?). They were probably there the whole time, but I never saw anyone using anything other than 0.7 and so it didn't occur to me to look for other sizes. It wasn't until 1996 that I discovered 0.3 pencils in the drafting section of the college bookstore. 0.3 now makes up the majority of my pencil collection.

--flatline

Mmm sorry to detract, but around here (in the US) 0.5 mm lead pencils are all-pervasive. It's about the only lead size you can find when you walk into any given store.

That has been my observation.

0.3 and 0.7 are a bit rarer to find.

If it's of interest, in the UK 0.5mm is most common for sale, but 0.7 are in many shops too.

I don't think I've ever seen less than 0.5mm, or any 0.9mm, but in the last year or so the PaperMate 1.3mm 'Mates' pencils have appeared in all our food supermarkets as a regular item.