The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Oscar Wilde Pencil Woes

repair mont blanc

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 PatriciaRogers

PatriciaRogers

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 19:58

Hello FPN

I am lucky enough to own a MB Oscar Wilde pen & pencil set, which has been in a pen case for the past 15 years! I decided to revive and use both last week, all good with the pen (writing much more smoothly than I remembered, what a nice surprise!) but the PENCIL is having problems.

There was HB leads in it and I decided to change them to B, that little bit softer; however when I went to change the leads, they won't advance? It seems the arm, the lever, inside that advances the lead won't retract. A pen repair friend just looked inside it and he said he could see the arm down all the way but it won't go back up again.

No damage anywhere, I've hardly ever used it, but clearly something slipped or went awry when I was trying to load the leads last week.

I am in Ireland, if anyone can point me to where it can be repaired I would be SO grateful. It is such a beautiful piece, I really do want to use it and bring it to life.

Thanks!

trish

Edited by PatriciaRogers, 13 March 2017 - 20:04.

Sponsored Content

#2 dubhe

dubhe

Away at Sea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 21:48

Trish,

It's a beautiful pen the Wilde, I am still enjoying the one I obtained two weeks ago and using it whenever I can.

Could it be the mechanism inside your pencil needs freeing up from lack of use? Perhaps try clicking it a lot with no leads in to see if it frees up?

#3 PatriciaRogers

PatriciaRogers

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 21:57

Trish,

It's a beautiful pen the Wilde, I am still enjoying the one I obtained two weeks ago and using it whenever I can.

Could it be the mechanism inside your pencil needs freeing up from lack of use? Perhaps try clicking it a lot with no leads in to see if it frees up?

It is! So pretty.

I tried that, clicking it around but to no avail I'm afraid. However...I just had some info on a chap in Dublin who may be able to help, a pen shop - so I am going to run up there in a day or two and see if I can get it going!

Thanks —

t.

#4 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 22:02

The Pen Corner should be able to help you.

#5 PatriciaRogers

PatriciaRogers

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 22:05

The Pen Corner should be able to help you.

I planned on ringing them too! 

I got a connection to a chap in Dun Laoghaire ' The Pen Place' - any thoughts there?

#6 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,871 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 23:08

He's great but I don't think he does Montblanc. I could be wrong but I don't remember ever seeing any MB in there.

#7 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:33

Are you using the correct size (diameter)?

#8 penparadise

penparadise

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• Member - Gold

• 1,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:28

I tried that, clicking it around but to no avail I'm afraid. 

Patricia, I presume that you know that the Oscar wilde has a propelling mechanism, that it is a front-end loader and that it needs 0,9mm leads?

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

#9 PatriciaRogers

PatriciaRogers

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 13:45

Patricia, I presume that you know that the Oscar wilde has a propelling mechanism, that it is a front-end loader and that it needs 0,9mm leads?

Hello Axel

When I bought the pencil, the shop gave me 0.7 mm leads with it, I still had the packet.

Also, I spoke with a repair person in the US last week and they told me it was not a front loader because there is a cavity for leads under the eraser, which seemed to make sense. The man who checked it for me tried to load from the front to see if that were so, but to no avail.

Oh how I wish I had never changed a thing! I would be thrilled if it were something that simple...

#10 PatriciaRogers

PatriciaRogers

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 13:55

Are you using the correct size (diameter)?

I believe so, yes.

#11 penparadise

penparadise

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• Member - Gold

• 1,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 14:10

It is that simple!

It is frightening how unknowingly and untaught many sales persons are. The pencil of the Montblanc Writers Edition Oscar Wilde has the same mechanic as the pencil of the Montblanc Meisterstück LeGrand.  It only takes 0,9mm leads!

And it is incomprehensible that Montblanc hasn't got any operating guidelines on their web sites. They have it in all of their warranty leaflets but not on their web site.  So if you can find any warranty leaflet of Montblanc - regardless if it is for a fountain pen or what else - you will find the instructions how to refill your pencil in there.

Edited by penparadise, 14 March 2017 - 14:12.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,

#12 PatriciaRogers

PatriciaRogers

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 14:17

It is that simple!

It is frightening how unknowingly and untaught many sales persons are. The pencil of the Montblanc Writers Edition Oscar Wilde has the same mechanic as the pencil of the Montblanc Meisterstück LeGrand.  It only takes 0,9mm leads!

And it is incomprehensible that Montblanc hasn't got any operating guidelines on their web sites. They have it in all of their warranty leaflets but not on their web site.  So if you can find any warranty leaflet of Montblanc - regardless if it is for a fountain pen or what else - you will find the instructions how to refill your pencil in there.

oh wow!

I am going to phone a friend right now, I'm sure he has a leaflet.

I will let you know straight away if this does the trick.

thank you, thank you!

#13 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 16:08

Good luck!

#14 penparadise

penparadise

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• Member - Gold

• 1,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:16

Trish, what happened? Have you been successful with refilling your Oscar Wilde pencil?

Axel

#15 PatriciaRogers

PatriciaRogers

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2017 - 13:09

Trish, what happened? Have you been successful with refilling your Oscar Wilde pencil?

I hooked up with Brendan from The Pen Place in Dun Laoghaire (Dublin) and bringing it up to him next week. Fingers crossed!

#16 trishrogers

trishrogers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 16:36

Hello all —

Update all —

YES - it is a front feeder, bravo Pen Paradise and YES it does take .ONLY 9mm leads so the twit in the store in Atlanta where I bought it (as you so rightly noted) didn't know that himself and so misinformed me day one, makes me nuts.

Apparently the propelling mechanism was damaged 'by an outside source' and thus out of warranty - of this I have NO clue, it's been in a pen-case for nigh on 20 years until last month, perhaps used for an hour or two in it's lifetime. However €95 later, I have my pencil back in Ireland with new insides, I collect it Friday from The Pen Place in Dún Laoghaire, talked to the charming and so helpful Brendan again today.

Thus a happy conclusion to my Wilde woes.

Thank you all so much!

do what you like, like what you do

#17 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 20:08

All's well that ends well.
Thank you for the update.

Now that your pencil is ready to write. How are you going to use it?

#18 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 20:09

Dún Laoghaire... what a beautiful name.

#19 PatriciaRogers

PatriciaRogers

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 20:17

All's well that ends well.
Thank you for the update.

Now that your pencil is ready to write. How are you going to use it?

Ah! A rather special project.

Yes, well, I took them both out of hiding (pencil alongside it's sibling Fountain Pen) as I am starting a new company, almost a lifeiong dream and decided to use special old friends drawing up our plans and ideas.

Wish us luck!

#20 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,871 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 00:20

When you were in there did you happen to notice if Brendan has got new Diamine stock in?

Edited by Uncial, 25 April 2017 - 00:21.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repair, mont blanc

Sponsored Content

|