New To Fountain Pen Network – Need Help With The Converters

Bjeweled

I'm new to the fountain pen network world and just took a short hiatus, some 55 years,since I used a fountain pen. And as I've done with my painting, once I commit to doing something I become excessive. Which means I have watched every video on Goulet, Pen Habit, Jetpen, Nibs, and best fountain pen.com. And since I've had to take notes on all of it I've lost the continuity of some of the answers to some of my questions. Perhaps, there is someone who will take pity on this fledgling newbie 70-year-old, and answer a few questions.

I've just gotten a Faber Castell Loom which comes without a converter and I'm wondering if my Nemosine singularity and neutrino converter can be usd in the Loom.....I know miss spelled something along the line here.

Has anyone ever heard of a Feeney fountain pen and if so do you know if it takes a standard converter.? I bought a lot of stunning inks, including quite a bit of pilot Japanese inks, Noodler, Private Reserve, J. Herbin, and I want to try them out on some of these lovely pens. Most expensive one that I bought is a platinum 3776 century and I think I've spent enough for right now until I can be better informed.

I live in Maine and even the staples in Bangor does not have any nice pens which has resulted in my searching a lot of sites. I was somewhat shocked by the price for pens that go beyond the intro phase but I shouldn't have been because I make jewelry, and often find people are shocked by how much I have to charge for worked metal and soldered Sterling and gold jewelry. These pens, are art, functional art but art nonetheless.

The questions then are: converter compatibility, suggestions for pens that would be smooth and easy on arthritic hands, and anything else anyone wants to share.

20 years ago my husband brought home some pharmaceutical giveaway fountain pens. The nips are stamped with made in Germany iridium. They're heavy, and the cap is a bit loose but I'm curious about their quality. Could the nibs actually be iridium? Thank you in advance I appreciate your reading my post and hope to hear from you.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Bjeweled

• OCArt

• Noihvo

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, Bjeweled!

Both the Loom and the Nemosine pens take standard international converters / cartridges, so yes, you should be able to put a converter from a Nemosine onto your Loom. (I think the Nemosine converters aren't the best quality, but that won't impact whether it fits.)

From what I can see on Amazon, Feeney are rebranded Jinhao pens (or knock-offs). According to the Amazon page for one of them, it takes the standard international cartridges too. I suspect they all do, but you may want to double check on specific models.

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. I'm glad you are here!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Thank you all for your response. I looked atThe lineup of the loom and the feed is off-center from the nib. Can't figure out if I can get the whole unit out to realign. Just a general question about most pens – can you remove the nib and the feeder by twisting a bit or pulling a bit? I would suspect different pens have different ability to remove the nibs and feeder.

Since I purchased a lot of new ink, and wanted to try out my new pens, I've decided that some of the inks I don't like it all. I flushed the pens with a ear syringe but I'm wondering... what happens to the pens once they're wet? Will the pens corrode or become moldy because of water not drying out in the feed? I realize that Inc. is wet and that the pin should just drive out but I'm always concerned about leaving water in in a closed system. Thank you again and I hope to hear from you soon.

This may help you with questions about disassembling the Loom:

I leave my nib / feed exposed to air if I'm not going to re-ink them right away, so they can dry out. For some pens, I've removed the nib and feed, for others, I just leave the grip section or nib unit out with the nib down in a little glass with a wad of paper towel at the bottom.

I'm new to the fountain pen network world and just took a short hiatus, some 55 years,since I used a fountain pen.

I'm wondering if my Nemosine singularity and neutrino converter can be usd in the Loom.....I know miss

Welcome back !

No recrimination for the long absence, but you have much for which to catch-up. Yes, my friend, you misspelled "used". :lol: I have, and will, do much worse.

If the "Feeney" is, in fact, a Jinhao, the International Standard cartridge and converter should fit.

International Standard will also fit Faber Castell. I cannot speak to the Nimosine. "Iridium" does not refer to the nib, rather the very hard ball of metal soldered to the tip of the nib.

Manufactured fountain pens are assembled in various ways. Many are friction-fitted, or tension-fitted. They can be pulled apart. However, I doubt that they are intended to be disassembled.

My advice is DO NOT TAKE YOUR FOUNTAIN PEN APART !

Sorry to learn of your arthritis. The nature of this affliction varies widely, so a comfortable pen is a very personal definition. While easy ink flow should benefit, size and shape can be very personal.

The proper grip for a fountain pen is a light grip, with fingers extended. What part of your writing action causes you discomfort ? I suspect that a tight-fisted grip with a small-diameter pen might cause hand cramping, and aggravate joints. A larger pen might be easier to hold, with a light grip.

For me, it is so, and a heavier pen self-settles in my relaxed hand. But, everyone is different.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !