Last Conway Stewart Lawyers Pen (Sort Of - Maybe)

abstract49

I was either (a) fortunate enough or ( b ) crazy enough to strike a deal for what might have been the last unsold Lawyers Pen made by the lately deceased Conway Stewart company. David and Alastair assure me that it was the the last one they had acquired with their purchase of the CS assets. So, if there is another in NOS somewhere else, it has not shown up recently, at least anywhere I've searched.

They have revived the model name recently, but I had lusted after this pen from the time CS announced it a few years ago, before they went down the tubes, and I really wanted an original CS to add to my small collection of CS pens.

I only received it in the post yesterday, and did not have a chance even to unbox it until today. [be still, my beating heart!] Some of what I found was as expected, some pleasantly surprising.

I am going to try to do some serious photography to post, but for now I wanted to make some general observations:

First, the presentation is typical of the old Conway Stewart, very nice box in a box. Not like a Churchill (more in a moment), but very nice nonetheless.

Second, this pen is much more massive than I had expected, even from the old CS website description. This sucker is heavy!

As an extension of the last two comments, some comparison: It is heavier than my Churchill, but it is 2 or 3mm shorter, capped, than the Churchill. There is about a 2mm difference in the cap lengths (Churchill is longer). The sections are too close in length to see any difference. The nibs appear to be the same size overall, but the Lawyers is possibly 0.5mm shorter (could be the grind? Churchill is an M, Lawyers is a B ). The barrel of the Churchill appears to my naked (and none too strong) eye to be 2 - 3mm longer. If the math does not appear to jibe, I can only surmise that perhaps the "skirt" - part of the cap extending below the threads - is longer on the Churchill.

Last for now, I am wondering what ink I will use in this new pen. It's black - BL-A-A-A-CK - and while I don't use black inks a lot, I do like a good, solid black sometimes. I do follow several threads on the topic, and I do have several good black hole blacks in my collection; but if anyone has a particular recommendation, I'm open to suggestion.

That's it for now (as if it weren't enough - do I go on like a lawyer?), but I will try to get some pics up in the next week or so.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abstract49

• mallymal1

• mmg122

• gweimer1

Congratulations on obtaining your CS Lawyers pen! I've admired that pen for quite awhile and can certainly understand your desire to own one. It's a lovely pen. I'm a fan of Aurora Black, but I'm sure any black you chose will be a winner. Enjoy!

Mary

I hope to have time this weekend to experiment with two different cameras, as well as lighting, then placing the resulting pics on the forum. No promises right now; I just reclaimed my office from the remodelers two days ago, and re-organization is still a work in progress!

• 4 weeks later...