How Does The Lamy Logo Ballpoint Compare To The Parker Jotter Ballpoint?

shivaji_singh

I'm looking for a clicky ballpoint to use for everyday carry to jot down quick notes in meetings and to sign documents. I had a stainless steel Jotter in which the cartridge was not fixed exactly in place in the barrel but moved slightly when writing at an angle. I'm not sure if I have explained this clearly, I'll edit this post if I can think of a more accurate description of the wobbling phenomenon. I'm looking for a new every day carry ballpoint to use when it is not practical to use a fountain pen. I've narrowed the choice down to a Lamy Logo ballpoint and a stainless steel Parker Jotter. I can't seem to find any comparison of the two online. Does anyone here have any experience with the Lamy Logo ballpoint?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike 59

• Flippy

• shivaji_singh

• flatline

If you have a pen with tip wiggle, there are some things you can try to improve the situation:

1. find another refill that fits the pen better

2. replace the spring with a spring from another pen (stiffer or longer springs seem to help)

3. apply tape to the refill to fill up as much of the gap as you can without interfering with the pen's ability to retract.

I don't know anything about the Lamy Logo BP. I used to use the SS Jotter as a host for space pen refills and I don't remember ever having issues with the tip wiggling, but that was a long time ago and I might not have been sensitive to tip wiggle back then like I am now. I gave up on the Jotter because I found it too slippery to hold.

As far as tip wiggle goes, I've always had good luck with Zebra pens. I've also got a Pilot s20 BP that has no tip wiggle. I've also never noticed tip wiggle in a capped pen, but other than the Embassy pen, I can't think of any other capped BP.

--flatline

Edited by flatline

I've got a logo as a gift from a friend, and mine really does wiggle terribly. I don't know if mine's just defective, but I was really disappointed in it, especially since I held Lamy in high regards.

Design-wise, I'd pick the Lamy any day, though.

It's also worth noting, that the Lamy Logo BP uses the proprietary Lamy M16 "Giant Refill", so It'll minimize your choice of refill terribly.

Hi, I have the LAMY AL-star ballpoint, seems very well made. It also uses the LAMY M16 refill in blue or black.

Many brands of ballpoint do have a slight amount of play (gap) between the barrel and the refill, and I guess the more a pen is used the more that gap will increase, with wear to the metal.

It is possible to put some tape around the refill to stop the 'wobble'.

I have a SS Parker Jotter 55+ years old, Works perfectly. Couple others in the 30-40 year range and they are the plastic. Again perfect workers. The Parker refills are the standard but there are some refills you might also enjoy. There are some nice gel refills but they run out much much faster than the Parker refill.

Thank you all for your input. It is well appreciated. I have decided to cross out the Lamy Logo, I will look into getting a new Jotter or perhaps a Fisher Space Pen later on.

I have two Lamy Logo's but I don't like the grip. There is a better solution and it's even cheaper. It's the Lamy Noto. Very nice design, totally silent and a good hold that fits my hand better then the Logo's. The M16 refills are very good; smooth,don't smear and are better waterproof and lightproof then the Parker refills.

Joop

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Lamy 2000 ballpoint which is quite a paradox. The pen itself is a wonderful hand toy...as clicky as they come and the black wood barrel FEELS great.

Lamy refills, however, IMO are very unpleasant to write with. Not very smooth and they put up a lot of resistance. I much prefer the Parker refills, especially the gel refills. So of all my Parker pens, the best is my Parker 45 cap actuated ballpoint, where the entire cap presses down to retract the refill.

In all seriousness, though, my FAVORITE ballpoint is my ST Dupont DEFI in carbon fiber which takes a Parker style refill. It is not clicky (the section turns to release the refill) but this pen has the best handfeel.

For no wiggle, Cross BP is the one. The refill is kinda skinny though and so is the barrel. Depending on your skin type, the lustrous chrome is either a hate or like thing. Try before you buy.

I have a lot of great modern-day Parker Jotters. Great ballpoints, and I wonder why your problem happened. Perhaps something wrong with the spring or tip width? I would try to fix it, and if it doesn't work, replacements are dirt cheap on Amazon.

If I were you, I'd save my money and buy a replacement Jotter.

The QuinkFlow refills in all the Parker ballpoints today are very smooth and long lasting.

But it might be worth trying out other brands too, for instance the STABILO ballpoint refills are a good replacement, but it's a matter of trial and error and what line with or colour ink the user is looking for.

The QuinkFlow refills in all the Parker ballpoints today are very smooth and long lasting.

But it might be worth trying out other brands too, for instance the STABILO ballpoint refills are a good replacement, but it's a matter of trial and error and what line with or colour ink the user is looking for.

Agreed. If the Jotter doesn't work for you again...well...there are hundreds of good ballpoints out there.

Wait...what makes a good ballpoint? It's up to you. :thumbup: