Lamy Lx Palladium Review

visvamitra

I consider myself Lamy fan.

Sadly Lamy does everything they can to unmake me their fan.

Such is life.

Lamy 50th anniversary Lamy 2000 Amber was basically poor and outrageously overpriced addition to the line. I sort of collect Al-Stars so I can understand and forgive them for trying to milk this design as much as possible by introducing new colors and inks every year. That’s cool, I would do the same thing.

On the other hand Lamy built their brand on innovation and design novelties. I do realise innovations are expensive and good designers have high wages.Still I hope Lamy will surprise us all and introduce something fresh any time soon. I really do as my respect to the company has limits.

Lamy LX line is the best example of hardcore design milking. I’m not saying it’s ugly or anything like that. It’s good pen. However it’s also two times more expensive than Al-Star and it doesn’t give anything extra except for two metal screws, slightly modifies logo on the barrel and case I will have no use of. I realise that stationery market isn’t exactly thriving and every way to get some reasonable margin is worth trying. The thing is I expect more than cosmetics to justify doubling the price.

lamylx_unboxing.jpg?w=940

lamylx_unboxing2.jpg?w=940

lamylx_all.jpg?w=940

The selling points of the Lx (pronounced “Luxe” – shocking, I know) are upgraded anodized – barrel, clip, and finial as well as coated black steel nibs. There’s also a tube (made from anodized alluminium) that matches the color of the pen. I don;t like this pen and I’ll never use it. If you like it and carry one pen with you, it may turn out to be pretty useful though.

lamylx_cap2.jpg?w=940

In the hand this pen feels totally like Al-Star. You won’t feel any difference. Sure, there are some visual differences but overall feel and performance didn’t change.

Differences between Lamy LX and Lamy Safari

lamylx_comparison3.jpg?w=940

lamylx_comparison2.jpg?w=940

lamylx_comparison.jpg?w=940

Clip, both screws and case of the Lx are coloured the same as the body. The Lamy logo on the barrel of the Lx is polished and glossy while on the Al-Star, it is just an outline. Cap screws in LX are made of metal and not plastic.Cap screw and tail end are made of a shiny metal that color matches the pen. Nibs on both pens are made of stainless steel. Lamy LX nibs are coated black with a rose gold laser etching that outlines the slit and breather hole. This slit is longer than in the Al-Star. Al-Star nib doesn’t have a breather hole.

lamylx_logo.jpg?w=940

lamylx_details.jpg?w=940

And thet’s pretty much all, folks. Translucent grey triangular grip section is the same as in Al-Star.

Nib

lamylx_nib2.jpg?w=940

lamylx_nib.jpg?w=940

Medium nib I got in my LX is scratchy and dry. Usually I enjoy Lamy nibs but this one is pretty bad. It needs tuning to write properly. Happily the nib is swappable with other Lamy nibs and as I have way too many of them I use black Lamy broad nib that performs flawlessly.

Filling system

Lamy LX comes with an ink cartridge. So generous…If you want converter you have buy one. It’s not a secret that companies earn most on accessories so why would Lamy offer one in their new toy?

Summary

lamylx5.jpg?w=940

lamylx_2.jpg?w=940

lamylx_1.jpg?w=940

If you like the colors and overall aesthetics of the pen and it’s enough to make you pay 56 $ for this pen, go ahead. It won’t dissapoint you. Especially if you fell in love with gold or rose gold finish that, so far, aren’t available in regular Al-Stars line.

My feelings? I’m disappointed. I simply expect more from Lamy but slowly I begin to loose hope.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• inkstainedruth

• Mercian

• Uncial

I agree with you which is I'm unlikely to buy either an LX or a dark amber 2000. Shame they did not follow the route they took with the Scala Glacier, where it's only slightly more expensive once you take in to account it has a gold nib.

Thank you for the honest review. I would be upset double the price. After my last Al-Star experience and dealing with the repair department, I've never purchased another Lamy pen. For the cost, the TWSBI eco has been a better value for me.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I agree. They are nice but no nicer than my Al-Star which was, and still is a lot less money.

I, too, did not "get it" when I first heard of them. I scoured the internet to find a difference/upgrade over the Al-Star and could fine nothing significant. But then, more people (among my friends) own a Lx compared to an Al-Star....

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Thanks for the review!

I'm glad I don't own any Lamy. I'd pick a Pilot Metropolitan or even a Jinhao or Kaigelu or Hero over Lamy.

I've owned a Safari and tried a 2000. They just don't do anything for me and I find their designs quite uninspiring.

I agree. They are nice but no nicer than my Al-Star which was, and still is a lot less money.

I'd go further and say that I actually prefer the Al-Star in all the places the LX has been "upgraded". The shiny stuff looks a little, well, tacky in comparison, at least for my taste. The exception being the appearance of the nib, which is kinda cool. But if it doesn't write terribly well then it can look as purty as it likes, it's no use to me. Besides which, I could buy one of them and put it on an Al-Star anyway!

Anyway, thank you for the review, vis. Alas, I join you in disappointment.

Your review of the Lx confirms the impression that I formed of the model upon seeing it online - that it seems to be a 'smartly-dressed-up' version of the AL-Star.

While that will appeal to some people, and I don't object to it, it isn't for me.

But I was surprised when you wrote that the nib on the AL-Star doesn't have a breather hole - although my pens are only Safaris and a Vista, all the Z50 nibs that I have do have breather holes.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Pretty much my thoughts on the LX as well. Thank you for the review!

I'm on the matte Safari side of Lamy pens. What bugs me is that the Z52 nib costs twice as much as the regular black nib even though the difference is only the white line..... I want that on the coming Petrol though.

I totally agree! I hate the nib on my LX -- dry, inconsistent ink flow, a hard to find sweet spot, and scratchy. I'm going to swap it out.

So disappointing as I really like my Al Stars. Thank you for the review.

What are 'A' and 'LH' nibs and what difference do they make to writing?

The 'A' is for 'Anfänger' - German for 'Beginner'. It is a nib designed for children who've never used a fountain pen before (so is, I presume, more ball-like at its tip).

'LH' is a nib ground for Left-Handed people to use.

IIRC this should mean that its tipping is ground to an oblique at an angle that looks (from above) like a right foot does (from above).

[Edited to correct omission of umlaut.]

Edited by Mercian

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

A is close to K, Kugelfeder. You are right. It's more round and forgives more writing angles.