How Many Pens Do You Actually Own?

mke

Need is a big word.

I have at least 40 FP, and that definitely is more than I need but doesn't stop me from buying more. I share some of them (vintage combos) with my husband; he might even say HE owns them and not me. Most of my pens are used at least once a year; I keep 5-6 inked at any given time.

I separately have a small collection of rollerballs, and dip pens.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• Jamesbeat

• BillH

• thx1138

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18. I started out with a 5 vintage pens for flex caligraphy. Then purchased a TWSBI for office use. This was 3 years ago. For some reason in January, I decided to have a look and get a modern pen. Decided on a Pelikan M805 and then somehow ended up with 12 new pens in a span of two months of which a bunch are in the mail. I've got to stop looking at stuff. Keep looking, you will want more. Stop looking, and you can be content with what you have. 24 is a good number though. 2 pens to use per month for a year.

I have 11.

The scary thing about this: 10 weeks ago I had 1...

I had 2 about a year ago.

I've been adding about one a month since then.

Still not as bad as my ink bottle collecting problem.

I have 100 pens in a nice 4 drawer box. Most are from the 1930's-50's. Sheaffers, Parkers, Esties, Eversharps, no-names. None of them came to me refurbished, I really enjoy the process of cleaning and restoring neglected old pens. I'm going to try to keep the number at 100. When I buy one that improves my collection, the least desirable gets sold, at least that's the plan now!

More than I need, less than I want.

(Just like most of the rest of the forum, I suspect...)

Could not have said it any better.

Fifteen, though often I stick to a main four or five. If I’m feeling frisky, I’ll ink up a couple I don’t normally use, quickly remember why I don’t use them, and box them back up only to repeat the process a few months down the road.

About 30 fountain pens . refillable ballpoints, refillable rollerball and gel pens (many considered disposable) and disposable "stick" pens in the aggregate about 400. And numerous refill cartridges for anything that can be refilled. Hundreds of pencils too. I meet with a monthly support group.and about 500 vintage dip pen nibs.

Edited by Studio97

The number currently stands at 29 from 11 different manufacturers. Most get used on at least occasional basis.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The answer is 42. I knew it.

Magrathea succeeded! But what's the point....

Seriously - I have a ten pen box with 8 slots full. I will stop when they are all filled.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

I only have one pen but every time i take it out to use, it changes shape, colour, material, age, make, and nib. I don't understand how this happens but my wife has her suspicions.

Cheers,

David.

Hahaha, I now know what to tell my wife!

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

Well, you could have said "fewer."

:D

I grant that some of my pens are less than others, in one way or another.

X

Is "actually" owning in some way different from owning?

How many pens do you rent or, to butcher one of the big watch ads, merely look after for the next generation? :lticaptd:

In theory, I have about 40 pens, but more than half are mementoes (I might use them, but rarely). So I feel I actually have 16 or 17 pens (the ones that I use most regularly).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Of which brand?

:lol:

I, too, have given up counting. That way there's no danger of incriminating myself when someone asks. ;)

Well, you could have said "fewer."

Bravo.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I had 2 about a year ago.

I've been adding about one a month since then.

Still not as bad as my ink bottle collecting problem.

One per month sounds fine to me ;-)

I don't own any full size bottles so far because I stick to samples to find out which colours I like enough to get a bottle of them. I have an ink wish list on top of which is a new shelf to store all the inks I'm planning to buy... :rolleyes:

Edited by Papermint
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right. For you'll be criticized anyway." (Eleanor Roosevelt)

I guess I would have several hundred (mostly parkers) but if my wife asked it would be less than a hundred for sure.