Keeping 100 After Introducing 100N, Why?

birchtine

Why the 100 was kept in production after the introduction of the 100N? And also, why only the 100 was available in Germany during the World War II? I'm sorry for asking but these questions keep bothering me?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• sargetalon

• birchtine

• zubipen

I don't have the slightest idea. Maybe some of the more knowledgable members will chime in.

Maybe for the same reasons the Apple II was kept in production after the introduction of the Macintosh?

Could have something to do with the fact that these were the only two types of pens that Pelikan produced at the time under their own brand name (aside from Rappen / Ibis which were an entirely different product line sold under a different brand).

The 100 & 100N were in a different price range and had other differences including among others, their size. Look at Pelikan after the war... 120/140, 130, 300, 400, 400N, 400NN, the birth of the whole Souveran line of pens, Pelikano etc.

Both were very nice, similar but also different enough to have stood on their own and also evolve through the years.

It's an interesting historical question and from what I've read, the answer has to do with the war and many factors outside of the company's control. To try to sum up the details, the 100N was initially made as an export only model in 1937. It wasn't introduced to Germany until a year later as part of the company's 100th anniversary celebration. Due to war time restrictions, the only fountain pens that were allowed to be produced for the German market were those that had the 100s basic shape. Then, in 1943, it became illegal to manufacture fountain pens or their spare parts all together. The company was only allowed to manufacture for the export market. This takes us to 1944 and the death of the 100.

So the answer to your questions are all related to war time restrictions placed upon the company. This information comes from "Schreibgeräte" and is really a fascinating historical study of the effects of war on manufacturing.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thank you Sargetalon. Very interesting information. I have read and I saw several pics of war time pens as Montblanc without engravings and without gold nibs. According with the information that you provided, these kind of pens were produced for the german market only until 1943? So If I was in Germany in 1943/1944 and I went to a pen shop I only can get a Pelikan or other german pen from 1942 or before? Please clarify in what year the 100N were introduced to the german market.

Write, write, write. Use your pens not your fingers !!!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

The 100N was introduced to the German market in 1938, the 100th year anniversary of the company. Any literature about the 100 from Pelikan stops at 1944. You could likely buy both models in Germany after 1938 but the restrictions probably explains why production of the 100 was continued concurrently with the 100N.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I have four or five 'war' pens. They are all missing a cap band...just pressed in ribbing where a band could have been.

All had CN or Stainless steel nibs....and one or two were not the worlds best. IMO the later the war, the worse the nib. The Degussa nibs were still good. I have one on a no name German pen I have.

I didn't realize that normal market fountain pens were not made after '43.

In the Sumner of '38, the Nazis stole the gold, for nibs.

Right after the war the mayor of Hanover gave Pelikan his historical thick gold chain of office, so Pelikan could make gold nibbed pens again.

They of course made a copy as soon as they were on their feet again.

Other tidbits. Days after the end of the War the British Army gave Tropen an order for 50,000 pens. The British Labor government decided not to allocate any money or resources to the bombed out British fountain pen industry.

Tropen delivered even more pens to the British Empire. It had been an export firm before the war and remained one.

It took me some two years of looking on British and German Ebay to finally find a Tropen. Sigh...it's a well made....nail. :crybaby:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Right after the war the mayor of Hanover gave Pelikan his historical thick gold chain of office, so Pelikan could make gold nibbed pens again.

They of course made a copy as soon as they were on their feet again.

Very interesting story, I never heard that. Where did you found this information?

I searched wikipedia for the gold chain of the mayor of Hanover city. There is information from 1901 and something else from the later years, but nothing about this exciting story?!

Dominic

It was here on the com....and having seen other mayor chains of old large cities, it had lots of weight.

I'll have to check with Kaweco on that. Could be I got it from him, while talking to him at a flea market. When I do sell at a flea market we often talk for an hour. He is a scholar of German pens.

There was no need to broadcast such info...or folks that knew died long before Google.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.