Kaweco Sonderklasse

OMASsimo

Yes, I absolutely agree with you Peter. And the pen indeed looks like the 30s Kawecos.

http://i.imgur.com/a90emg0.jpg

http://www.kaweco-pen.com/en/Info/antike-werbung/02_alte_werbung_galerie_2.php

While browsing the internet I found another curiosity. The Sonderklasse but from Artus.

http://i.imgur.com/TSkCKhH.jpg

Karl

Edited by birchtine

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• birchtine

• OMASsimo

• handwriter

• bobje

Here's another picture of handwriter's tiny pen when compared to the Waterman le Man 100:

http://i.imgur.com/x7kbP2f.jpg

Thank you handwriter!

Edited by birchtine

Thank you, Birchtine.

The Kaweco Sonderklasse measures barely 11 cm closed.

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

My pleasure!

Two more pictures on handwriter's behalf:

'[The pictures] taken with macro lenses. One shows the "Sonderklasse" imprint in detail, aside an additional "H. Kunstmann. München" personalization.

The other includes the opened Kaweco side by side a Matador Express 813 for size comparison.

Note that the nib of the Kaweco as been vandalized; given the current fashion, it seems likely that someone tried to add more flex with a file. Fortunately the pen remains fully functional and is an excellent writer.'

http://i.imgur.com/LhRRxhI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/m8XVwVK.jpg

Edited by birchtine

Thanks a lot for the additional pictures. The comparison with the Man 100 is quite telling of the megalomania that set in when fountain pens made a come back after the big crisis in the 70s. By then the fountain pen had turned from a necessity and daily writer into a status symbol.

But even in the earlier days, 11 cm was a below average size though not uncommon for "lady models". The ad that birchtine posted above (#21) nicely shows the spread in size that was available at the time. By the way, mine is a 683 and measures just 11.6 cm.

Peter

Thanks a lot for the additional pictures. The comparison with the Man 100 is quite telling of the megalomania that set in when fountain pens made a come back after the big crisis in the 70s. By then the fountain pen had turned from a necessity and daily writer into a status symbol.

But even in the earlier days, 11 cm was a below average size though not uncommon for "lady models". The ad that birchtine posted above (#21) nicely shows the spread in size that was available at the time. By the way, mine is a 683 and measures just 11.6 cm.

Peter

I agree with you ion the evolution of fountain pens. I know this is highly controversial, but in my personal opinion, that evolution has resulted in that the modern pens are not really made to write, or not so much as in earlier times, and thus do not write so well. This tiny Kaweco button-filler actually writes better than the big, top-of-the-line Man 100. And I am a big fan of the Le Man 100 pens, of which I own five!.

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

Yes, I agree that a fountain pen become a status symbol and quality deteriorated. There are still a few companies which make good instruments but they all seem so similar regarding the nib and filling system offerings.

By the way what are your favourite pens, both vintage and modern? For me the most interesting is CONID Slimline with the titanium nib (but the high price is prohibitive) and Pelikan M400 (well made and practical pen, eventually worth its price I think). Talking about vintage pens I'm a fan of Swan and Waterman's nibs from the 30s and aesthetics of Auroras, but my everyday pens are three Pelikans: 100, 101 and 400.

I think we all pretty much agree in that the role of fountain pens in everyday's life has changed drastically. But I'd be careful to glorify the "good old times" and condemn modern pens. I've seen absolutely lousy vintage pens and I don't dare to guess what their market share was. And there are fantastic writers among the modern pens. Maybe the average build quality even increased over the decades.

I think it is without question that vintage quality pens have a different writing feel compared to basically all modern pens. I love the soft, (semi-)flexible nibs and the often perfect ink flow. But such nibs require a very controlled hand writing which the average ball pen users lack. Modern nibs are so stiff because they are aimed at the average writer. There are many ink flow problems but I think this is mostly because a nib needs to be used and "written in". If a pen is used for say a dozen signatures a day, it may take very long before the nib arrives at it's prime performance. This certainly is not an issue with a well used vintage pen.

I'm curious what you're thinking about my thoughts.

It's hard to decide on a favourite vintage pen, there are just too many great ones. Let's say Osmia and Pelikan. Moderns it's clear for me, OMAS. Unfortunately, they were liquidated last year. :angry:

Peter

Maybe the average build quality even increased over the decades.

It's an interesting thought and I could agree. Quite possibly some companies perfected their designs and materials used over time and conscious users seem likely to avoid poor choices. My experience is limited but I'd rather pick a modern than a vintage Japanese pen, and not because the older are worse but I find modern ones at least as good. Also, if only the selection of the nibs was better and prices lower it's rather likely that I'd have a modern German or Italian pen as my daily writer. Modern pens by Omas for example were always high on my list and found it really depressing seing them going out of business.

I agree with what you are saying about the average writer, but on the other hand I expect that in the future companies will have to focus more on fountain pen enthusiasts rather than people who buy pens as jewellery for signatures. This would require expanding a choice rather than its cutting like in the case the Pelikan which in 2013 limited the selection of nib widths. I singled out the Pelikan but it's a bit unfair. It seems that they actually do way more for their followers than any other company (maybe with the exception of Japanese pen makers) in terms of customer care, and I mean 'care' not regular 'customer service'.

I'm not sure about the lack of ability of controlled writing in ballpoint users. My partner who never wrote with a fountain pen almost instinctively reduced the pressure and writes as nicely as she did with a ball pen. She may not be able to appreciate flexibility (and she does not seem to be interested in it) but I wouldn't be afraid of letting her use any of my cherished pens. The problem starts when someone who can't really hand write begins with the flex as the main advantage of a fountain pen. For me the magic of older and flexible nibs lies more in the putting a line without pressure and softness during writing rather than in the line variation and this is my main argument against companies who offer only stiff nibs saying that they are more appropriate for a modern writer. They are and they are not but we are not given that choice any more.

Anyway, I tend to choose vintage pens for another reason. I have no good opportunities to try new pens. For the money I could spend on a dreamed modern one based on online reviews I can purchase several older. This way I expand the choice, can try various options and likely find one suitable. The rest can be sold and I end up with a suitable pen for a fraction of the modern one without risking much disappointment.

It's not too surprising that we seem to have a lot in common. After all, apparently we all are vintage fountain pen lovers.

Yes, it's a shame that such a fantastic manufacturer as OMAS was liquidated. I my opinion this is due to makers like Montblanc who flood the market with rather bland quality pens and push them by very aggressive marketing. Even here in the forum I think that most people would think that a Montblanc is the cat's meow. I don't think so because I have a few OMAS, Delta, Ancora, and other Italian and non-Italian pens that are at least as well made and much more interesting. I have to admit that Montblanc's new special editions are interesting, though.

But back to the topic. Top of the line modern pens are very expensive indeed. I wouldn't buy any of them at list price. But the vintage pens we snatch up for a song have been as expensive in the days of "one man one pen". It's a total luxury to own more than just one quality fountain pen, at least historically. And like you, I prefer to find a few really interesting vintage pens for much less then going to the fancy boutique and buying a modern. For me it's both, I prefer the excellent performance of most vintage pens I buy (and the low price) and an interest in the history of writing and fountain pens in particular. And I use my pens a lot every day which is the reason why performance is so important for me.

By the way, my point about the average ball point user was the AVERAGE ball point user. Of course there are people used to ball points that can handle a delicate 1920s Swan or Watermans flexible nib. But my experience is that many of them would be very unhappy with such a pen and the nib would be very unhappy with them. Of course the manufacturers reacted to that by making their nibs sturdier because they can't know if the customer is a brute or a sensitive person.

Finally, I have a feeling that fountain pens start to make a come back and the enthusiast will be just a minor species and a good target for special editions and such. But the main market right now seems well-off people who want a status symbol an buy a Montblanc and young people on the retro trip who want a cheap and decent writer with the look of the "good old days". Kaweco is a great example for that tending to the retro movement. I have several students using Kawecos who were born way after Kaweco was liquidated. They don't even know that today's Kaweco company has essentially nothing in common with the original one except the name and the corresponding rights. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy that they revived the brand and they're doing a great job. And I think they are a good example why I think that the future of the business is not in the specialized market for enthusiasts but in the market for young people in the retro mood.

Peter

Edited by OMASsimo

Omassino and Birchtine, this is a fascinating thread. Thank you for presenting history, information and photographs about these models, which fill in gaps in the fascinating history of the company. As a newcomer to the brand, one of the things I enjoy is the company's derivations and references to historic models. The Kaweco Dia 2 is appealing partly because it echoes much of what I really enjoy about these Sonderklasse and Meisterklasse models. My opinion is that the current iteration of the Kaweco company successfully uses approaches to design language, quality controls, and value that are consistent with the older company. When it makes updates, these decisions are made to reflect current market requirements. I am thankful that Kaweco management takes a serious approach to the stewardship of this company, because there are many examples where this has not been the case. Thank you again for strengthening our understanding of a historically important component in the stationery industry.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Thank you very much for your kind words. I learned so much on forums like this one that I'm more than happy if I can pay it forward. And you're right, H & M Gutberlet are doing a good job in reviving a quality brand that's worth its money and always was. They are also reviving old designs for the growing "retro" market. I'd always prefer the originals but that's another story.

Well, here's some more information on the 683 (and 685/687) "Sonderklasse" models. I had to take it apart for repair and so I can show you the innards. I wasn't exactly pleased about what I found.

image.jpg

This is the typical Kaweco screw in piston mechanism, quite upscale compared to others of the time. The piston is square on the outside and has a thread on the inside. The piston housing is square on the inside and has a plastic screw engaging into the piston. So, the mechanism is torque free and doesn't require friction to the barrel. The piston ring is cork and sits on a little "plug" that is fitted to the piston by a thin steel splint. Unfortunately, the piston is cracked at the splint hole which I need to fix. Also the barrel has a crack where the piston mechanism is inserted. This is going to be a more difficult repair than I thought and wished for.

I'd like to thank for the nice words too! Similarly to OMASsimo I have learned a lot from the forums and it seems only natural to try to give something back. Many thanks to Handwriter for the pictures of his older Sonderklasse he sent to me and allowed to publish in this thread!

I have never used a modern Kaweco but seeing the way the company heading I'm pretty sure that I'll end up with one or more in the future. I'm hoping for a new piston version of the Sport model and richer selection of nibs.

Peter, thank you for the picture of the insides of your pen! Assuming that the shaft is made of celluloid the repair may be quite straightforward, at least I hope and wish it is.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I am sorry, but I visit FPN only from time to time. I am one author of the 2017 published book about Kaweco: Gutberlet crossing Kaweco. It is true, brand names or names for product groups appear in different periods of the company´s history. One reason is that brand names are registered like trademarks. And f.e. Monopol was in use from 1920s till 1960s for different products.

Actually I work on the 1950s pens and Meisterklasse was in use from 1950 till 1951/52. In the pricelist from Spring 1952 the same pen was named Sonderklasse. It was listed then until 1958, pricelist of 1959 didn´t show it anymore.

But there are older pens with Meisterklasse or Sonderklasse, too.

Gerhard