The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

When Is An Aerometric "51" Not Aerometric?

51 aerometric

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 ek-hornbeck

ek-hornbeck

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 15:10

Not convinced the hole really worked as well in practice as it did in R and D.

I have wondered this myself. I sort of have two (sort of complimentary) reactions when I do:

1. At some level, if I'm playing with old technology, I like to be true to that tech. Even if it worked better in the lab than it does out in the field. Someone designed it to work a certain way. OK, let's set it up to function that way.
  2. It would be interesting to find out how well it does work, in the cabin of a modern, pressurised airplane flying five miles up. Do a few experiments and report on them.

E. K.

Sponsored Content

#22 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 17:35

When it comes to ink it is best to discuss specific compounds and not general chemical terms.

Solvent could be water or an alcohol. Quite different...
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#23 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:23

I have wondered this myself. I sort of have two (sort of complimentary) reactions when I do:

1. At some level, if I'm playing with old technology, I like to be true to that tech. Even if it worked better in the lab than it does out in the field. Someone designed it to work a certain way. OK, let's set it up to function that way.
  2. It would be interesting to find out how well it does work, in the cabin of a modern, pressurised airplane flying five miles up. Do a few experiments and report on them.

E. K.

As for how well it does work, we have among FPN's members a fair number of people who have flown with an Aero 51, long tube, hole near one end, and who ought to be able to tell us what happened. When I was doing it with the original silver tube, no problem. Year in and year out.

Others will perhaps have had different experiences. And can tell us, if they so choose. It is something like an experiment that has been done very many times.

An important point here is that my having no significant leakage doesn't mean the hole with certain specifications was *necessary* for my happy outcome. For a proper experiment we'd have to have people also flying with pens different from what Parker manufactured.

#24 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:18

I have flown with regular aero 51s many many times and and once with a Special aero 51 and haven't encountered any leakkage whatsoever.
Khan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 51, aerometric

Sponsored Content

|