Heritage 1912 - Which Nib Size?

Apm1

I am finally convinced in purchasing the 1912. I tried the pen few times at the MB boutique and also reading your comments, we all agree this is such a nice pen, with an excellent nib.

I am however not convinced in which nib size to choose. This is because sometimes I enjoy the fine nib for business purposes and some other times I like to take notes with a broad nib.

You guys that own this pen, could you give me some feedback? Which nib you have? Which size do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apm1

• meiers

• SE1980

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like broad nibs (have a 146 B several pens with music nibs and 1.1 CI). I got the 1912 with a broad nib and didn't like it--the nib had a bounciness that felt out of control with a broad nib. The medium just works better for me on the paper I'm using.

Edited by LuckyKate

I swapped my factory M nib for a B and very very very happy with the result :)

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b558/nbendy1/MB%201912%20B_zpshg3rubq2.jpg?1489013752422&1489013753740&1489013756576

~ Nathanb:

Seeing is believing.

Thank you for the image above showing the rich ink strokes of your B nib.

Beautiful nib, beautiful handwriting.

Tom K.

I have mine in F nib which is perfect for my daily writing at work. I chose F due to work purposes solely and the lines are not too thick.

If you're using for work, I suggest taking F, else for others such as writing journals and the like, M or B would be preferred.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

I swapped my factory M nib for a B and very very very happy with the result :)

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b558/nbendy1/MB%201912%20B_zpshg3rubq2.jpg?1489013752422&1489013753740&1489013756576

What I did too (I think based on your recommendation!) Extremely happy with the broad.

I have both the F and B; the B wins hands down. An OB would be the go if you are able to wait for a nib swap.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

What I did too (I think based on your recommendation!) Extremely happy with the broad.

~ Mastiff:

I'm delighted to read that.

Tom K.

I have a B with a custom cursive-italic-like grind. Keep in mind the Heritage 1912 has less ink capacity than a standard international short cartridge. A broad nib runs through it in a few pages. It's a wonderful writing experience but it is also a source of frustration.

~ meiers:

Thank you for posting your Heritage 1912 F nib handwriting sample.

See the strokes on graph paper provides helpful context.

Tom K.

Thank you guys for your feedback and handwriting sample.

To be honest I am more confused than before now :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

Just got my heritage on Sunday with a perfectly tuned EF nib! This nib is gorgeous!!! We had a four day seminar and I am totally in love with that nib... I will try to upload some Writing sample😀post-110316-0-04616000-1489151287_thumb.jpg

Edited by Simme

Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever

~ Simme:

Thank you for your excellent Heritage 1912 EF handwriting sample.

It's writing so well in your hand.

Congratulations on a wonderful pen and nib!

Tom K.

Bouncy broad sounds lovely until I heard about reduced ink capacity. I can only imagine if I slapped an OBB into one. :yikes:

I have two 1912s, one B and one BB. I really love them both, but the BB is too impractical for taking notes at work. The BB, for me, is a pen that generally stays at home and is used when I want to take my time with my writing and enjoy the pen and ink. The BB was the first 1912 that I bought, and I chose the BB because I went into the purchase knowing that I wanted the pen to be kind of a "special occasion" type of a pen that would largely live at home. I watched a video about the pen before buying where the reviewer said the 1912 is "all about the ritual" of uncapping, extending the nib, etc.

When you really think about it, the 1912 is not particularly practical for a work setting in which you may be capping and uncapping your pen frequently in a meeting or something like that. You have to uncap the pen, twist out the nib, take your notes, twist in the nib, recap, and then do it all over again. Nevertheless, after having my BB, I knew that I'd like one in a more practical sized nib that I could put to every day use. So, I picked up a B and bring it to work almost everyday and do often use it in meetings :) That being said, I do also carry F and M nib pens (Rouge et noir) with me that are a "quicker on the draw."

Now, as to which nib would work the best for you? Only you can answer that. With a "dry" ink, I do not find the B nib to be unwieldy at all. I favor the Pelikan 4001 inks, and they do well in the pen.

Bouncy broad sounds lovely until I heard about reduced ink capacity. I can only imagine if I slapped an OBB into one. :yikes:

Its funny, but I don't find the ink capacity problematic at all. Compared to a 149, oh yeah, much smaller capacity. I rotate my pens throughout the day and week, though, so can easily make an entire week with even the BB in rotation. I don't find myself writing page after page on a daily basis. Also, I enjoy switching up my inks fairly often, so not having a cavernous ink capacity is a plus in that regard.

Its funny, but I don't find the ink capacity problematic at all. Compared to a 149, oh yeah, much smaller capacity. I rotate my pens throughout the day and week, though, so can easily make an entire week with even the BB in rotation. I don't find myself writing page after page on a daily basis. Also, I enjoy switching up my inks fairly often, so not having a cavernous ink capacity is a plus in that regard.

Thanks for this. I do write page after page, but generally where I can change inks quickly.