Is There A Sheaffer For Me?

TSherbs

I own one Sheaffer--the 330--and I love how the inlaid nib aligns with the paper and my grip, etc. I am thinking that I am ready for an upgrade to another Sheaffer with either a conical or inlaid nib, but I can't spend more than $100. Is there a pen out there for me? I am overwhelmed by all the Sheaffer vintage offerings and names, etc.

Is there anything that comes to anyone's mind that I should look into? I would like the pen to be a little wider and heavier than the 330 (I have large hands), but I can't afford anything like a PFM.

No rush, just thinking.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• Ron Z

• ink-syringe

• stephenchin

Top Posters In This Topic

You might find a Touchdown Imperial. Touchdown is fairly easy to restore when the time comes. I have a cartridge Imperial set I bought for about $12, gold inlaid nib, gold filled caps on pen and pencil, EF nib. This one has a pushbutton converter I added for about $30, but I could have filled cartridges. This is one of the better pens I have found. Piston converters and later sac converters won't fit these pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Unfortunately, the Touchdown Imperial is not wider or substantially heavier than the OP's 330. When it comes to vintage pens, larger is both more desirable and more rare--and so commands a exponential premium--hence the PFM prices.

And none of the vintage conical nibbed Sheaffers--from the first Triumphs to the fat/original Touchdowns (pre Snorkel) are larger or heavier than the 330 either.

The only other large inlaid nib Sheaffer I can think of is the 1990's Legacy--which would be hard to get for less than $100 even used. Seems like they've been going in the $130-175 even used. It is, however, PFM size but metal--so even heavier.

If you like the Imperials, and simply want heavier, you could look for the sterling silver or vermeil Imperials in the diamond cut patterns. They come in both cartridge fill and touchdown. On the bay they seem to be also in that $130-175 range used--and the touchdowns will probably require some restoration to fill properly.

If you are patient, you can find a classic 20's flat top OS Sheaffer in black or black and pearl (with less than perfect color) or a more modern Connaisseur in your price range--both with gold nibs but neither with an inlaid nib.

Edited by stephenchin

And none of the vintage conical nibbed Sheaffers--from the first Triumphs to the fat/original Touchdowns (pre Snorkel) are larger or heavier than the 330 either.

Apologies this is not that simple. Depends on what you mean by "large" and in fact when Sheaffers are talked about as sizes mostly people are discussing girth (section fatness).

The TM Snorkels, and Touchdowns, as well as the short conical nib imperials, and the Skripsert cartridge pens are generally the same size (the Skripsert are bigger than you think they are and much bigger then school pens that followed, they are generally the exact same size as, say the Imperial II & IIIs).

The Fat TD pens are 1mm chubbier. Doesn't sound like a lot but you notice it.

The earlier "OS" pens like the OS Valiant, OS Crest, OS Sentinal are about 1mm larger than that.

The the OS Balance Premier & the PFM is a tiny bit larger than that. (though the Balance is obviously an open nib pen)

All of this is ballpark, and depends kind of on where you hold your pen but the OS Crest (I have 4 of them) is larger than the regular vacs and the fat Touchdowns and those are fatter still than the TM pens. The TM TD pens are kind of the smallest in that group of the pneumatics because the Snorkel required the pen to be made longer.

The OS Crest or Sentinal (lever or vac) cap would swallow the 330 section whole.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Wow, you guys sure sound knowledgeable! Thanks for all this info. I will have to keep learning about all these types of pens. In answer to the question about grip placement, I nearly always hold my pens further from the nib at the widest part of the pen. I haven't yet held a pen too wide for me.

Edited by TSherbs

It will be hard for you to get "wider" on that budget. You could keep your eyes peeled for an OS Vac or Lever triumph nib like a OS Crest but they take a little digging to find and are also shorter if that matters to you.

I personally dislike slim pens, unless they are Sheaffer. I am perfectly fine with an Imperial or a Snorkel even with big hands. I think there is something about the design of the pens, esp. that snorkel section that just agrees with me and makes them a good exception to the rule.

But if you don't mind a clear upgrade that is roughly the same size. Check other Imperials. There are 3 or 4 different nib types depending on how you count Imperials, 2 small diamond types, and the classic long one (my favorite, so handsome) like what you would find on a real genuine Imperial like the Imperial IV. Imperial IV is a wicked great pen and every bit as nice looking as the PFM, though doesn't have the girth.

But I also rec. this: The Imperial II TouchDown with the short conical nib (white metal, could be hallmarked PdAg) is a great pen and found NOS all over the place. I have 4 of them and they are fantastic pens and you get 2 and still come in underbudget.

Terri has them at Peyton, Auspens had them and they are all over ebay. Mainstreet has some other higher dollar Imperials from time to time and I got a 63 LIFETIME Imperial off him a couple years back that was around your budget, maybe more with shipping but well worth it.

Late 30s open nib pens often have that upturn nib that lines they up on the paper so nice. You might like that and save your pennies for a Balance Premier, which (imo) is as good as a pen can be. heh.

Fat to Skinny (Triumph nib)

OS Crest, PHAT Touchdown, Touchdown TM and the Snorkel TM (same thickness, but added length)

I believe these go 11mm, 10mm, 9mm, 9mm

please correct if wrong

20170307_212338.jpg

Hi,

Kindly consider a Targa.

The balance of the pen is more rear-weighted than the delightful 330, so might shift your point of grasping the pen more to the rear, where the section is of greater girth. (Even try the 330 posted, just to see how she goes.)

I am away from my pens so cannot give any measurements to compare the 330 to the Targa.

While I am reluctant to plump a Vendor, at present the esteemed Ron Zorn has an interesting Targa on offer : Pen 2292 Stainless Steel Targa with a 'funky' M Stub nib. http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pensales.htm which fits nicely into your cost constraint, so a bottle of Skrip Turquoise can ride along. :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Kindly consider a Targa.

The balance of the pen is more rear-weighted than the delightful 330, so might shift your point of grasping the pen more to the rear, where the section is of greater girth. (Even try the 330 posted, just to see how she goes.)

I am away from my pens so cannot give any measurements to compare the 330 to the Targa.

While I am reluctant to plump a Vendor, at present the esteemed Ron Zorn has an interesting Targa on offer : Pen 2292 Stainless Steel Targa with a 'funky' M Stub nib. http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pensales.htm which fits nicely into your cost constraint, so a bottle of Skrip Turquoise can ride along. :)

Bye,

S1

Targas a plentiful and wonderful in the hand.

I asked Ron about some imperials he had and have that 2292 pen bookmarked. Someone should jump on that soon or I will. ha!

Sleebus: That is a heck of a nice pen. A really nice color and the Fat Touchdowns are amongst my favorites. I also enjoy the open nibs from that era. That one you have is a nice color (Persian blue? Valiant) and nice tipping.

Should last you approximately forever.

The Targas look thinner than I prefer, and that funky nib is too broad for me. Go for it, Syringe!

-hence the PFM prices.

Size is only part of the equation . The other is that the PFM was made for a much shorter period of time. The PFM III was made for 9 years, but the I, II and IV were made for just 4 years. The Imperial ran in various forms and materials off and on into the 90s. Shorter run = more collectable value.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sleebus: that thread is encouraging, for sure!

I love those Triumph nibs, and they are very nice writers. I want to add a few more colors, but lately the prices on ebay for even beat-up pens has been pushing past the $25 mark. I need a green and a red one. Maybe a black.

Sleebus: That is a heck of a nice pen. A really nice color and the Fat Touchdowns are amongst my favorites. I also enjoy the open nibs from that era. That one you have is a nice color (Persian blue? Valiant) and nice tipping.

Should last you approximately forever.

Thanks! It actually looks even better now after a few weeks of riding in the pocket, it's shined itself up even more. Completely flawless operation, even after sitting a week or so. Yep, it is Persian Blue.

That stainless 2292 Targa is the last one I have. I had 10 stainless and 10 black, and all but that one are gone.

I have developed quite an affection for the 40s Valiant/Sentinel Deluxe pens. They are comfortable to hold, when properly restored with the right materials and will work for a long time hold a lot of ink, and can be turned into the smoothest writing pens I've encountered. I have three that are constantly filled and are the pen of choice for notes or journaling.

If you don't know the difference, the Valiant was the larger size Triumph nib pen made. The Sentinel Deluxe pens are the same size as the Valiant, but have metal caps. The Crest Deluxe is Valiant sized with a gold filled cap.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks for these explanations, Ron. These terms for nibs and models and filler systems can be challenging to keep clear.

Someone ought to make a visual flow chart (taxonomic) of the history of Sheaffer offerings.

Someone other than me 😀

Edited by TSherbs