The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Pelikan Edelstein Ink Of The Year 2017 Smoky Quartz

pelikan edelstein ink of the year smoky quartz

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,357 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 13:54

Very poor picture.

Using a 140 semi-flex OB and a 150 'true' regular felx M.

The top paper is Gmund 'Blanc Beige' cream, 170 g.

The seond paper is M&K, Embossed white...no weight given but expect it to be 90g. There are three M&K papers, worth using Cheap German mail to the US. (the only paper that Brunner makes that is worth a drop of fountain pen ink. Other than M&K Do Not throw your money away on Brunner!!!!)

Lousy picture.

On the first paper the Gmund, the ink is brown with a bit of olive, semi-flex is darker , while both shaded, to my surprise the semi-flex was better. 

On this 170g paper it is a different brown, sort of closing in on one of the Sepias....Off the top of my mind, sort of like MB Sepia; even though I remember MB sepia as not so olive.

This 'olive' is slight...IMO. More what others said, than something I'd thought of my self.

On the Embossed M&K paper, the lower...semi-flex is a tad more olive. Again the semi-flex shows a tad darker and OB vs M. And OB had more shading!!!

Can get use to it in a hurry, but one must give it a tad of a chance.

Will I buy it again??? Don't know must wait a while....I am happy I did buy it.

Fiddled with picture a bit better than the original.

ca8c7d02-8188-41f3-a054-1f99ec05f53d_zps

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 01 April 2017 - 17:10.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sponsored Content

#42 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,738 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 23:17

I'll be skipping this one. It looks like Lie de The, but with none of the charm.

Funny, it doesn't look anything like Lie de The to me....  That's a lot yellower, IMO.  

I tried LdT a couple of years ago, and loved the shading but that was about it.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstaineruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#43 ca49reber

ca49reber

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:15

I really like the Smokey Quartz. I am using it in a M800 18k F & it is darker than I expected. I will continue to use this ink for a long time.

#44 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,357 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 20:54

It is in my pens, on my papers Smokey is darker than one of my favorites Lie d Thee`. None loaded right now.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 02 April 2017 - 20:55.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#45 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2017 - 21:49

It's probably not that close, but I'm reminded of Sailor SE Cigar.

I don't really use brown ink and think it's an odd choice for a spring release (isn't this a fall/winter color? I bought my bottle of Lie de Thé during a blizzard), but I like the smoky hue.
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#46 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 22:04

The new Pelikan Edelstein Ink of the Year 2017 Smoky Quartz has arrived today. We have made a quick comparison with other known brown inks. The color is not as warm/red as the Hazelnut Brown by Graf von Faber-Castell or the Toffee Brown by Montblanc:

attachicon.gifEdelstein-Smokey-Quartz-Vergleich.jpg

The closest match we have found is the Diamine Macassar. The Smoky Quartz is a very nice brown ink which is a really nice addition to the Edelstein ink offer. 

Best regards

The closest match to this colour that I have found is Noodler's Walnut.  :)

#47 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,357 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:54

I just got my '52-54 only, MB 234 1/2 Deluxe KOB back from Fountainbel for re-corking. I decided not to put Quartz in it, but C d'A Grand Canyon, an ink I'd not used in ages.

Grand Canyon is a tad lighter in semi-flex KOB than the picture with the 'true' regular flex 150 M pen...much lighter than the 140's OB....

There is a difference in shades on my good paper with the 140 OB tending a tad towards olive.

Grand Canyon remaining a very good shading medium brown ink, and shades better than Quartz.

#48 evyxmsj

evyxmsj

Ink! All the colours!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 19:35

I wonder how close it is to Iroshizuku Yama-guri? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan, edelstein, ink of the year, smoky quartz

Sponsored Content

|