The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Recognising A Gift

montblanc unknown recognizing idenification

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JC.Oxford

JC.Oxford

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 22:59

I was discussing pens with a fellow pen collector and I was handed these two Mont Blanc ballpoints as a gift, because he doesn't collect ball points. But I have no knowledge of Mont Blanc's and I know there's tons of fakes in circulation. So what do you amazing people think?

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by JC.Oxford, 05 March 2017 - 23:03.

Sponsored Content

#2 horationelson

horationelson

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 23:29

Looks like a Marlene Dietrich, although I haven't seen it with the gold trim before, or with diamond (in the black resin version at least - there is a 1901 version in sterling silver, with some smaller diamonds in a different position on the clip).

Not sure if it's my eyes/the photo, but the clip and diamond setting don't look entirely straight.  Look at the bottom photo at the pen on the left - the clip seems to be slanted to the right (the left edge of, rather than the centre, it is at 90 degrees).  Also, the diamond setting and mount above it don't seen entirely symmetrical.  Plus the pen on the right seems to have its clip welded on quite crudely, looking at the join on the left.

Others on here will have a better idea, but I'd be inclined to say fake... (i.e. if offered these for £100, I'd politely decline).

Edited by horationelson, 05 March 2017 - 23:39.

#3 horationelson

horationelson

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 23:43

Also, looking at the hatching on the clip, it's not right - it's too large and nowhere near as delicate as the hairline hatching on the normal version (image is of the FP, but should be the same).

dietrich-product.png

Edited by horationelson, 05 March 2017 - 23:45.

#4 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2017 - 00:33

They are fake MB pens, based on the Dietrich regular edition, as noted above.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, unknown, recognizing, idenification

Sponsored Content

|