The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook 2668 Cap Threads: Smooth Them Out?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JordanN

JordanN

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:00

I got a nice deal on my first Esterbrook at a pen show today. It's a 2668 and I got a lower price on it because there is a lot of resistance when unscrewing the cap.

When I got home today, I examined the cap threads and noticed that they are pitted in places. I gently ran a dental pick through the threads a few times, removing some black power, and applied silicone grease to the section. This smoothed it out a little, but it's still pretty tight.

I don't mind the tightness so much, but if there's something easy I can do to make it a little looser, I'd be happy to try it.

Perhaps the tightness will somehow also improve the seal and keep the nib from drying out?

Side note: I filled it with Parker Quink. At first the pen wrote a bit dry, with slight skipping, but now, a few minutes later, it's unbelievably smooth! I hope it keeps writing this well.

Edited by JordanN, 05 March 2017 - 01:04.

USAF 
Pen list: Esterbrook LJ 2668. Shaeffer 300 M. Artisan Jr. Gentlemen's II (custom turned), Pilot: Stargazer Pearl M, Knight M, Parallel set, Varsity. Lamy: 2000 F, Al-Star, Safari. TWSBI Classic M, Vac 700R + 20A inkwell. Monteverde Intima Neon Pink. Shrade Tactical Pen. Platinum Plaisir F, Preppy. Hero 616. Baoer 801.
Ink bottles: Noodler's: Bad Black Moccasin, Black, 54th Massachusetts, Liberty's Elysium, Baystate Blue, Turquoise Eel, Antietam, Apache Sunset, Sunrise. Private Reserve: Spearmint, Chocolat, DC Supershow Violet, Arabian Rose. Parker Quink Black. Manuscript: Blue, Black.
My Blog: Jordan's Thoughts

Sponsored Content

#2 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:44

Get a screw thead pitch gauge from harbor freight for about $5, and use it to "chase the threads" to clean them up. That should help. Be careful, because it is plastic.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#3 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:19

Too late now that you greased it, but I would have use a cotton swab dampened with water to dissolve the ink (the black powder) from the threads.  That might still work, but the grease may prevent the water from getting to the ink to dissolve it.

The cap may have also shrunk making it TIGHT on the barrel.

Did the seller resac the pen?  If not you will want to plan to get the pen resaced.  Because if the sac is original, it is over 60 years old, and could fail at any time, making a MESS.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 25-27, 2017 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#4 JordanN

JordanN

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:44

Too late now that you greased it, but I would have use a cotton swab dampened with water to dissolve the ink (the black powder) from the threads.  That might still work, but the grease may prevent the water from getting to the ink to dissolve it.

The cap may have also shrunk making it TIGHT on the barrel.

Did the seller resac the pen?  If not you will want to plan to get the pen resaced.  Because if the sac is original, it is over 60 years old, and could fail at any time, making a MESS.

I didn't mean to confuse you. The threads actually have divots missing from them; I don't think there's actually any ink in the threads any more.

Yes, the pen was restored. He didn't like how tight the pen was, so he sold it at basically cost.

USAF 
Pen list: Esterbrook LJ 2668. Shaeffer 300 M. Artisan Jr. Gentlemen's II (custom turned), Pilot: Stargazer Pearl M, Knight M, Parallel set, Varsity. Lamy: 2000 F, Al-Star, Safari. TWSBI Classic M, Vac 700R + 20A inkwell. Monteverde Intima Neon Pink. Shrade Tactical Pen. Platinum Plaisir F, Preppy. Hero 616. Baoer 801.
Ink bottles: Noodler's: Bad Black Moccasin, Black, 54th Massachusetts, Liberty's Elysium, Baystate Blue, Turquoise Eel, Antietam, Apache Sunset, Sunrise. Private Reserve: Spearmint, Chocolat, DC Supershow Violet, Arabian Rose. Parker Quink Black. Manuscript: Blue, Black.
My Blog: Jordan's Thoughts

#5 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2017 - 00:17

Firstly, 2668 is the nib style, that appears on various Esterbrooks.  It is okay to clean away "dirt", but pleas do not remove any material.!  The cap and body might be "mis-matched", or the threads may be worn.  You wouldn't want to break anything.  A tiny bit of silicone lube is okay.  

Worst case, you have a nice Esterbrook, with a rough-fitting cap.  Far better than an Esterbrook with stripped threads.  

There are things about a 65-year-old that can't be fixed.   

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#6 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:49

Get a loupe and look at the barrel threads closely.  A tight fitting cap can sometimes be an indication of a crack in the barrel at the threads.

#7 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:30

Which Esterbrook is it that you have?

Different models have different issues.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sponsored Content

|